Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Recruiting Speculation

I agree I’m getting antsy as well but we will land our big sometime this summer and we may very well save our last open spot. I find it reassuring however that we’ve made offers to some very high 3 and 4 stars for next years class. Shows that they aren’t going to just sit around and stay the same, they will try keeping this thing going

Edited by 961819
  • Like 1

Now that there is one remaining scholarship, IF Mballa ends up being able to play next season (big if), how do you want to see the last spot used? Freshman forward (Nigel John?), freshman or grad transfer guard? (Immediate eligibility) a transfer that sits 1 and plays however many? Or should we save the last spot for the 2020 class?

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

Now that there is one remaining scholarship, IF Mballa ends up being able to play next season (big if), how do you want to see the last spot used? Freshman forward (Nigel John?), freshman or grad transfer guard? (Immediate eligibility) a transfer that sits 1 and plays however many? Or should we save the last spot for the 2020 class?

I feel like we have a good spread of players at this point, so I would go BPA instead of worrying about position.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 9:11 AM, DooleyBull06 said:

Game changer! This should no doubt keep things status quo here. Is he eligible right away?

i like the pick up, but 'game changer' is a bit premature there.  he did not look very good in the limited time he had last year - definitely a (big) project.  

On 6/7/2019 at 9:15 PM, 961819 said:

Nigel John. Thin at forward still just based on huge uncertainty. Having him would be great. And then if we got him we’d have to look for guards for the following year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ed said:

i like the pick up, but 'game changer' is a bit premature there.  he did not look very good in the limited time he had last year - definitely a (big) project.  

6’8 with a 7’3 wingspan. Crazy athletic. Yes a project but we potentially have him for up to 4 years of development. The upside is there. At worst he becomes a more athletic version of Ikenna Smart. Let’s say he becomes a rim protector who averages 2 blocks a game and deters teams from driving to the basket...that’s game changing. I’m not expecting double doubles from him nightly. However I’m excited at the thought that he could be the athletic lengthy big we need who plays down low and does the gritty things like rebound, block shots and defend. Works well in pick and roll on offense. If Chris Beard saw something in him that’s good enough for me. And we know firsthand how grind you out that Tech team was.

I just want to fill this last spot with a solid forward like John or Hardnett so that I can stop checking ubfan every 30 minutes for an update. I don’t ask for a lot, just a 3 or maybe even 4 star center in the summer signing period. Work with me here 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 961819 said:

I just want to fill this last spot with a solid forward like John or Hardnett so that I can stop checking ubfan every 30 minutes for an update. I don’t ask for a lot, just a 3 or maybe even 4 star center in the summer signing period. Work with me here 

I hear ya. Can we get a solid 3 or 4 star center or PF as the last recruit so we can stop checking this every day. There’s gotta be some gem out there or even JUCO player ready to commit. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

I hear ya. Can we get a solid 3 or 4 star center or PF as the last recruit so we can stop checking this every day. There’s gotta be some gem out there or even JUCO player ready to commit. 

They’re few and far between but there’s plenty of guys with Ja Morant potential that are completely slept on and overlooked. CJ Massinburgs are rare but I’m just going to trust that the coaching staff knows what the new standard is now and won’t recruit players that can’t meet it. No matter how impatient I may be getting lol

But seriously, that would seal the deal and make the excitement for next season that much higher 

Will UB retain the psychologist they have used the past couple years, after the coaching change?  I sure hope so.  With athletic parity in our (most any, really) conference, mental toughness becomes more important.  I believe that Buffalo was/is early in understanding the importance of this.  It can cleanse the mud from a rock to show the gem that was always there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Will UB retain the psychologist they have used the past couple years, after the coaching change?  I sure hope so.  With athletic parity in our (most any, really) conference, mental toughness becomes more important.  I believe that Buffalo was/is early in understanding the importance of this.  It can cleanse the mud from a rock to show the gem that was always there.

Well said, I’ll always make the examples of CJ Massinburg, Nike Sibande, Eugene German, Justin Turner all being underrated 2 star players that clearly play at a much higher level than anticipated.

Since the forward position is currently our biggest need, I’d love to grab a player similar to Bam Bowman on Miami (OH). Big body, with some outside touch. We’ve seen with Perkins what kind of beast the proper training could turn that into