Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Recruiting Speculation

4 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

Will be interesting to see if immediately eligible.  That makes 2 potential frontcourt players with their availability for this year in the hands of the NCAA, right?  Anyone know when that decision is made?

A few more weeks on that.

Congrats to Coach Whitesell and staff.

Whitesell took a lot of criticism from members on this board that he couldn't recruit and that we were crazy to not hire Hodgson, but when all is said and done, it is obvious now who the recruits make a connection with when they are on campus.

We are now getting a kid in Hardnett, who has four years of eligibility plus one season of full practice with a high level D-I program.  Add Mballa in the mix and this class can be scary.  Now we just need the NCAA to work their magic and get these dudes waivers.

4 hours ago, BullBoy said:

Whitesell took a lot of criticism from members on this board that he couldn't recruit and that we were crazy to not hire Hodgson, but when all is said and done, it is obvious now who the recruits make a connection with when they are on campus.

I don't think I ever called for hiring Hodgson directly, but I did criticize the process the AD utilized.  And I was skeptical about what Whitesell could do in such a short time.

But...as I had hoped...the brand and excitement and recent success has been successfully leveraged...and now we have a solid recruiting class.  Kudos to Whitesell and his staff.  I wish them good luck this summer and fall.

Go Bulls!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been on vacation with very limited internet...I open and read all this wonderful news. Can’t wait for the season to begin. What a job coach Whitesell and the staff has done. I’ve already forgotten about Oats and the hiring process. Let’s play some basketball. Great incoming class. 

When you look at it we recruited what 10 players to UB this season. And we’ve gotten a jump on future seasons. UB might be a household name at this point. Let’s keep winning!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Bill said:

I feel like this mistake happens often with potential recruits haha

I feel we are at the point where it’s detrimental that we are University At Buffalo. It’s much easier and more natural to be University of Buffalo. I actually think being “of” would help us more in terms of name recognition. I’m not saying we need a whole new rebrand like a few years ago. Just make the long overdue change and I bet no one will even realize. Yes I know that we are SUNY and all the nonsense that comes along with it.

Edited by DooleyBull06

13 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

Why does it seem like they are offering low end 2020 prospects this early?  Shouldn't they be offering higher guys at this point?

I'm assuming a lot of these guys are players about to take off, like zed key did right after we offered

Something I noticed with recruits is that early stages its more telling the number of offers, seems to correlate to majors offering down the line

12 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I'm assuming a lot of these guys are players about to take off, like zed key did right after we offered

Something I noticed with recruits is that early stages its more telling the number of offers, seems to correlate to majors offering down the line

That makes more sense.  Obviously rankings aren't everything but it looks better to be courting 3 star recruits haha.  This year ended up pretty well.  How many scholarships will we have available next year?

41 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

Why does it seem like they are offering low end 2020 prospects this early?  Shouldn't they be offering higher guys at this point?

Because you get in early on under recruited kids who you think will take off in their senior year. It’s worth a shot that they’ll have a soft spot for the team that was there from the beginning, especially if that team keeps making the tournament 🙂