Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nigel John (2019)

16 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

FWIW, using the 247 class calculator, if UB lands John we would have the #42 recruiting class in the country between Clemson and Nebraska. I used Nickelberry and Mballa's pages coming out of high school, and Gallion doesn't have a 247 page so we might be slightly higher.

Does 247 include transfers and juco in their ratings? 

16 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

FWIW, using the 247 class calculator, if UB lands John we would have the #42 recruiting class in the country between Clemson and Nebraska. I used Nickelberry and Mballa's pages coming out of high school, and Gallion doesn't have a 247 page so we might be slightly higher.

Very nice, a far cry from years ago. What was the ranking of the projected class before the coaching change? In the end, rankings mean little, teams must work hard and come together. Regardless, this staff has done a good job since day 1, as expected.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MDBullsfan89 said:

Hopefully we seal the deal here. Does he have a visit scheduled with Pitt at this point? Seems like they are our only competition for him. And they already got Eric Hamilton who we were speculating about in another thread, so hopefully we can beat them out for John.

I think he already went on a Pitt visit, he also visited Oklahoma State

6 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Very nice, a far cry from years ago. What was the ranking of the projected class before the coaching change? In the end, rankings mean little, teams must work hard and come together. Regardless, this staff has done a good job since day 1, as expected.  

One thing that can’t be overstated is retaining all of the players from last year. There were hundreds of players that entered the transfer portal this year (from teams that lost their coaches and teams that retained their coaches). I’m sure the coaching staff is using that as a major selling point. All of our players like UB enough and like/trust Whitesell to the point that they didn’t even want to hear from other schools.

Edited by SGBull
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, SGBull said:

One thing that can’t be overstated is retaining all of the players from last year. There were hundreds of players that entered the transfer portal this year (from teams that lost their coaches and teams that retained their coaches). I’m sure the coaching staff is using that as a major selling point. All of our players like UB enough and like/trust Whitesell to the point that they didn’t even want to hear from other schools.

Yep, agreed, including the senior transfers from last year. The returning roster (including those guys) is very solid for the MAC. That group can reasonably contend on their own. With the addition of (seemingly) quality pieces as they've gotten, it should bode well moving forward. Same as last year? No. Top end of the MAC and able to contend beyond? Seems quite plausible and I look forward to it. We've got 3 quality seniors, one of whom has been here for all 4 years and is ready to dominate, especially on D. We've got a junior who is ready to become a star, if he isn't already. We've got our highly touted sophomores who have waited in the wings and grown over the last year. We've got a few big guys looking to make their mark. Is it basketball season yet?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MDBullsfan89 said:

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/06/10/pitt-ends-recruitment-of-2019-c-nigel-john/

Looks like Pitt pulled its offer. Gotta love our chances now!

Good news for buffalo. Lets hope we hear a commitment in the next day or so.

In my opinion he takes us from having a shot at the mac title to being a favorite to win again, especially if mballa is eligible this season

50 minutes ago, McBulls said:

I think they see the writing in the wall. You almost never see it made public that a school has pulled a scholarship offer. Seems like a PR move to avoid having to explain to fans that Buffalo beat them out for a player they wanted!

I think that's likely the case. Another article posted today on that site simply says John is currently on a visit to "another school." The rest of that article is behind a "subscriber only" paywall so it's possible it goes on to identify us as the other school, but I thought that was funny.

Looks like we should be getting a commitment soon. Just an outstanding job by the coaching staff addressing our need for big men and getting two high quality recruits in skogman and John. Nickelberry, mballa and gallion round out what looks to be another fantastic class for us. Losing all our recruits and managing to pull these kids in is just an amazing job. 

Edited by Bill
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Looks like we should be getting a commitment soon. Just an outstanding job by the coaching staff addressing our need for big men and getting two high quality recruits in skogman and John. Nickelberry, mballa and gallion round out what looks to be another fantastic class for us. Losing all our recruits and managing to pull these kids in is just an amazing job. 

Exactly, they managed to turn it around and keep the ball rolling. If they were able to recruit all these high quality players in such a relatively short time, I’m excited to see what our 2020 class will look like. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Funny video. The 6' tall kid trying to guard him in the post doesn't show a whole lot about him or what he'd be able to do against D-1 competition. At this point, we are all hopeful that any/all of the players that have been brought in can develop similarly to the players of the last handful of years. We've been quite lucky in seeing nearly all of our guys bond together and improve greatly. That doesn't always happen, but we've been spoiled over the last few years. I'm optimistic that can continue, seeing as we have many of those players to show them the UB way (Jordan, Graves, etc).

• Like 1

Pitt is an ACC team (albeit one with 3 conference wins last year...but whatever).  The fact they had a strong interest in this is guy means they have something other than this 55 second video of him playing against...what...a middle school YMCA team during the summer?   And, of course, he was already committed to WSU at some point.

If the Bulls are able to land him, that would be another big body and project...but (again) a project with a high upside.  Those are good to have!

Let's get him signed!!

Go Bulls.

3 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Funny video. The 6' tall kid trying to guard him in the post doesn't show a whole lot about him or what he'd be able to do against D-1 competition. At this point, we are all hopeful that any/all of the players that have been brought in can develop similarly to the players of the last handful of years. We've been quite lucky in seeing nearly all of our guys bond together and improve greatly. That doesn't always happen, but we've been spoiled over the last few years. I'm optimistic that can continue, seeing as we have many of those players to show them the UB way (Jordan, Graves, etc).

Sorry about the video - was all I could find.  Agree with you on hope that the players Bulls are brining in develop, and I am optimistic as well. 

14 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

This was honestly hilarious. Reminded me of this comedy sketch where a D1 football player is playing youth football against a bunch of 12 year olds stiff arming them into the ground and picking them up and throwing them on defense 

9 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Looks like he has a good frame.  Let's get him here, and get him in the weight room.   The next Perk?

His down low game is Perk-like. Not really sure about his 3 shooting though, maybe getting 50lbs of muscle on Skogman would produce that lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

His down low game is Perk-like. Not really sure about his 3 shooting though, maybe getting 50lbs of muscle on Skogman would produce that lol

We don’t need every big man to shoot 3s. His twitter profile says true big man. I would expect him to be a force down low. Which could work well freeing up guys on the perimeter. Seems to me to be a true 5.

• Like 1