Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nigel John (2019)

10 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

So many of these guys are so finicky. It's ridiculous. Many of them transfer to and from high schools/prep schools, then they go to college and they do the same thing. The times have most assuredly changed, and in this case, not for the better.

Do we know that is what occurred here? Maybe Utah St. changed their mind after seeing transcripts and they're allowing him to leave under his own terms (publicly)?

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

Do we know that is what occurred here? Maybe Utah St. changed their mind after seeing transcripts and they're allowing him to leave under his own terms (publicly)?

No idea. If it was the only time that a guy left after "committing", signing or attending for a year, then my sentiment could've been off. Unfortunately it's a general pattern for many (our signee from this winter as an example). In many cases, I feel as though there's too many voices in these kid's ears telling them that they can "do better" or "bigger" or that they should be "the guy" at the school and the school is misusing them, etc. I'm glad to say that I didn't do that when I committed to a college, competed for that college, and graduated from it. Circumstances can arise that would warrant changes, I absolutely get that, but the "portal" is out of control. While I know that I'm old and out of touch, very few bounced around back then.

All that being said, best of luck to him wherever he lands up. Hopefully it will work out.

The portal has become the NCAA equivalent of free agency. How will things change when the inevitable comes into play...pay for play? Will there be a such thing as players having to sign contracts that state they can’t transfer? Who knows.

Adding to this...currently coaches in big schools aren’t using all available scholarships bc they want the wiggle room of being able to dip into the portal. Just crazy.

Edited by DooleyBull06

Looking back, this post is kinda funny. Might not have been the first thing and was not public, but you almost nailed it

On 6/8/2019 at 5:39 PM, trueblue32 said:

There's no way Jenkins got a D1 job and the first thing he did was commit public NCAA violations and tell people about it lmao

20 hours ago, 961819 said:

This guy is as wishy washy as someone who dyes their hair a new color every week. 

Calling anything from him a “commitment” is laughable 

Nothing will beat Torian Graham.

In HS he gets recruited by schools like Kentucky. Some of these links might be dead, but the timeline is still accurate

May 17, 2011 Commits to NC State
August 8, 2011 Decommits from NC State
December 2011 Re-commits to NC State, then Re-Decommits the same day
January 2012 Transfers high school from Arlington Country Day (FL) to Creedmoor (N.C.) Christian Faith
October 10, 2012 Signs with Chipola
January 20, 2014 Arrested after being pulled over and ate some weed to conceal it from officers
April 20, 2014 Signs with Houston
November 17, 2014 Leaves Houston after playing only a few minutes in an exhibition game
December 26, 2014 Commits to (and enrolls) at Buffalo
June 2, 2015 Signs with ASU

He finally played one (1) season of D1 ball at ASU for Hurley in 2016-17.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rma said:

Looking back, this post is kinda funny. Might not have been the first thing and was not public, but you almost nailed it

Nothing will beat Torian Graham.

In HS he gets recruited by schools like Kentucky. Some of these links might be dead, but the timeline is still accurate

May 17, 2011 Commits to NC State
August 8, 2011 Decommits from NC State
December 2011 Re-commits to NC State, then Re-Decommits the same day
January 2012 Transfers high school from Arlington Country Day (FL) to Creedmoor (N.C.) Christian Faith
October 10, 2012 Signs with Chipola
January 20, 2014 Arrested after being pulled over and ate some weed to conceal it from officers
April 20, 2014 Signs with Houston
November 17, 2014 Leaves Houston after playing only a few minutes in an exhibition game
December 26, 2014 Commits to (and enrolls) at Buffalo
June 2, 2015 Signs with ASU

He finally played one (1) season of D1 ball at ASU for Hurley in 2016-17.

Jeez I didn’t realize all that. Shame too, he was extremely talented lol

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 4:25 AM, DocCas86 said:

Nigel John will begin his collegiate career at Clarendon College.  Wish this young man success.

Wow, all that only to end up in JUCO with our old Coach Jenkins. Probably not the worst decision with all the uncertainty right now, hope he finds the right situation from here.

• 1 year later...

I was checking on the jucorecruiting top 100 and noticed a familiar name ranked at 15.

https://www.jucorecruiting.com/junior-college-basketball-player-rankings-top-100

He is averaging nearly a double / double at E Oklahoma St this year.

Even if we are not interested in getting back involved with NJ, maybe there are some players we could be interested in. 

• 1 month later...