Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

General Recruiting Question

Gxtrex

Does anyone know if websites such as 247sports include incoming undergrad/grad transfers and JUCO players in their team recruiting rankings (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/)?  Or is it just true freshman?  As of now it just shows Skogman (and Cadwell with no rating who decommitted anyway)  putting us at 5th in the MAC and 135th overall.

8 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

Does anyone know if websites such as 247sports include incoming undergrad/grad transfers and JUCO players in their team recruiting rankings (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/)?  Or is it just true freshman?  As of now it just shows Skogman (and Cadwell with no rating who decommitted anyway)  putting us at 5th in the MAC and 135th overall.

I believe trueblue32 calculated our current class ranking with the transfers’ original 247 ranking when they first came into college and it put us at around #42 in the country. Not sure if it actually takes them into account though

update: just checked previous years classes (Jeremy Harris’s class) and it included him in there so they may just need to update it 

Edited by 961819

2 minutes ago, 961819 said:

I believe trueblue32 calculated our current class ranking with the transfers’ original 247 ranking when they first came into college and it put us at around #42 in the country. Not sure if it actually takes them into account though

Yea i saw that post, but then he is comparing to other schools possibly not including their transfers/JUCO.  Got me thinking if a website includes all this to fully compare all teams.

I've never seen transfers get updated ratings, some of the top JUCOs get re-rated in Harris' case.  A lot of JUCOs get pages for their JUCO career but it just shows them as unrated/unranked in Cadwell's case.  My calculation just used everyone's high school profile.

Edited by trueblue32

18 hours ago, 961819 said:

update: just checked previous years classes (Jeremy Harris’s class) and it included him in there so they may just need to update it 

My problem with that is that everyone has players not rated/counting, even though they should be. 

You can't assume UB is the only team who grabbed transfer/JUCO 3 stars.... every single competitive team did. 

Edited by Kevin

4 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

You're right, that's why I put the "FWIW" at the beginning of my original post. It was more of a ballpark thing, shows that our recruiting is still doing quite well.

Oh ok didn't catch that.  And yea I am very happy with how the recruiting ended up.  Would be nice if major websites would include all incoming players in their rankings!

The problem with the major recruiting sites is that they never update anything (at least for mid majors). I think with accurate, updated composite rankings we’d be near or at the top of the MAC at least. Combined with our current roster there’s no reason we can’t keep the momentum going. If we become a mid major who’s “always” in the dance, I think we can feasibly out-recruit the rest of the conference consistently.

• Like 2

I would characterize the recruiting class as a success, especially if we land Nigel John.   While we do not have the 4 star prospects of past two years (Williams 0.9368 and Harris 0.9200), we potentially have four 3 star recruits, and kept roster in tact despite losing our coach.   Combine the recruiting with the overall program philosophy, I expect we will be among teams competing for MAC championship this coming year, which should help us out-recruit as UB05 stated.