Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Conference Rumors

weareub46

I just saw on the r/collegebasketball subreddit that there’s rumors flying around about UCONN moving back to the big east. As of right now rumors are all they are but that would open up a spot in the AAC if it comes to fruition. I know people are kind of split here on whether or not they would want Buffalo to take their spot but things could get interesting given the recent success of our athletics 

I've been firmly on the "not going to happen" side of things but have to admit this crossed my mind as all of the UConn talk started hitting my timeline.

Not sure if many would consider us a "reboot", but interesting to think about...

I’m fully on the boat for wanting us to move to the AAC I just don’t think it will happen. We have more issues than just facilities. Barring something special both football and basketball are going to take a major step backwards next year. Football has a history of being awful let’s be honest. We’ve had about 3 random good years. While attendance spiked this year I’m sure and I have no doubt playing better teams in the AAC would draw more fans we also have a pretty poor history with attendance too. Still have my fingers crossed hard. 

I don't see the AAC wanting us to be honest, our facilities are not good compared to most of the schools in that conference and they seem to be trending to have mostly southern schools. The only way we get invited to a better conference is if our football team continues the upward trend and wins a few MAC championships and both basketball teams continue to consistently make noise in the NCAA tournament. 

Edited by SGBull

On 6/24/2019 at 10:44 AM, SGBull said:

I don't see the AAC wanting us to be honest, our facilities are not good compared to most of the schools in that conference and they seem to be trending to have mostly southern schools. The only way we get invited to a better conference is if our football team continues the upward trend and wins a few MAC championships and both basketball teams continue to consistently make noise in the NCAA tournament. 

I can see the AAC wanting us. We bring an alumni base in NYC, a major Northeast TV market, AAU accreditation, solid programs in three big sports. If the AAC intends to maintain a northern presence, we make much more sense than Middle Tennessee or Boise State.  I have to wonder if AD Mark Alnutt  already spoke to anyone about our chances?

Edited by promotherobot

• 1 month later...

The AAC decided to stay at 11 teams for this year. They prob didn’t have much of a choice as there wouldn’t have been enough time to make big changes this close to the season. 

UBAD was quoted somewhere saying he was happy with being in the MAC but it kinda sounded like just a general answer as to not stir up the pot right now. 

AAC commissioner said something along the lines of them not looking for anyone right now but if schools want to pitch to them they’ll listen. It all just sounds like formalities while I bet there’s a lot of talk going on behind the scenes. If I was an AD at a school hoping to get in to the AAC you know I’d be working like hell to try and sell the program. 

While travel would definitely be tough it’s just a major step up (while not too big to hope for like Big10. Nobody will ever move from the MAC to a P5 school). It’s the logical next step if you really want to be a reputable program and really build a brand. 

It makes this year especially important for football and both MBB and WBB. If we can have more success with other Olympic sports that also helps. But our biggest downfall is the success is recent and nowhere near consistent. I don’t think we need a 10 win season again in football but just having a winning record would be huge. Give us the opportunity to have a bowl game victory on our resume. We need consistency. As for basketball I think both men and women need to be competitive. This athletic year is almost upon us. LETS GO BULLS 

• Like 1