Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Projected Starting Lineup

Gxtrex

I noticed the David Nickleberry issue.  At least he scores less as a Sophomore 😀.  I suspect once this gets corrected BartTovik estimate will drop, barring another correction.  A week or so ago, it had correct roster (including Gallion) and we were about #174 and still 9-9 MAC record.  I am hopeful that he is a little on low side with a few players offensive forecast, and our defense is a little better than he is expecting.  In end though, my thought is 10 - 11 MAC wins this season.  It is worth noting that nearly 40% of minutes projected for this year were playing either in JUCO, HS or were RS, so not sure how their contributions are projected - but my guess less certainty around their performance.  My hope is that this shapes up like Oats' first year - we went 10-8 and pulled off the win to head to the NCAA tournament.

http://barttorvik.com/team.php?year=2016&team=Buffalo

What I’m looking forward to this season is being counted out. Being the underdog. Not being expected to win the MAC. We could possibly be only preseason ranked as high as 3rd in the conference. Who knows. But I do know that this team will be hungry. Lots of young athletic guys who wanna show something. Hopefully they gel and do the fundamentals...do that and everything should fall into place.

Barring big time resume wins like beating Harvard, UCONN and Xavier, maybe even Florida in non conference, it will all come down to the MAC tourney.

Obviously I am biased but I think we are going to be much better than 9-9 in conference this year. While we did lose a lot, this year we will have the highest rated collection of recruits ever. Recruit rating doesn't guarantee success, but there is definitely somewhat of a correlation between the two. 

Edited by SGBull

I have my concerns about this season. Will we rebound enough? Who will step up as the go to guy? Can Graves carry a team? Will Rondo and Jeenathan improve? 

I do feel our scoring won’t be as high as 83 ppg. But if we rebound and defend we can offset that. 

I do still see us as a top four MAC seed. As for a projected starting 5 I think we have so many interchangeable parts. That’s why preseason and non conference play will be important. 

I am thinking this is the starting lineup:

1. Jordan

2: Graves

3. Nickleberry

4. Williams

5. Hardnett

All on the floor need to rebound.  We continue our transition to position less basketball where we play with no true 5.  Spread the floor, run, look to attack off the dribble and put pressure on the defense by getting to the free throw line with regularity.  Should be a fun brand of basketball and I for one cannot wait to get this season started. 

No contributions from Brock.  I see the bench having the following getting playing time (in this order off the bench): Johnson, Segu, Grant, Skogman.

I suspect in the Barttovik Projections above the Nickleberry as a sophmore is intended to be Mballa, but that's just speculation. 

I’m just saying, based off of what I’ve seen at their summer practices, Brock has really developed. He’s gotten quicker and will most definitely contribute this year. The scoring talent on this team hasn’t dropped off much at all, Antwain Johnson is a walking bucket. Davonta has developed a really nice ability to create space at the 3 point line. All around I don’t see as big of a drop off as everyone is predicting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

I’m just saying, based off of what I’ve seen at their summer practices... All around I don’t see as big of a drop off as everyone is predicting.

True, Barttovik and I do not have the benefit of first hand observations.  I am thinking the points per game will drop a bit from last year.  However if they maintain that mental toughness on D and on the boards, I am hopeful the results are similar to last year in those areas.  The non-conference games will be a good barometer re MAC expectations.  I would love to see them exceed my expectations and am really looking forward to the season.

Edited by DocCas86

8 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

True, Barttovik and I do not have the benefit of first hand observations.  I am thinking the points per game will drop a bit from last year.  However if they maintain that mental toughness on D and on the boards, I am hopeful the results are similar to last year in those areas.  The non-conference games will be a good barometer re MAC expectations.  I would love to see them exceed my expectations and am really looking forward to the season.

Definitely agree about the points per game. It’ll be hard to replicate that level again but personally I’ve been very impressed by what I’ve seen and I haven’t even seen Nickelberry play yet 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 961819 said:

I’m just saying, based off of what I’ve seen at their summer practices, Brock has really developed. He’s gotten quicker and will most definitely contribute this year. The scoring talent on this team hasn’t dropped off much at all, Antwain Johnson is a walking bucket. Davonta has developed a really nice ability to create space at the 3 point line. All around I don’t see as big of a drop off as everyone is predicting.

Nice. Happy to hear that summer practices are going well. 

I signed up my boys for basketball camp. Going to be in buffalo in 2 weeks. Am looking forward to watching the players. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, admin said:

Nice. Happy to hear that summer practices are going well. 

I signed up my boys for basketball camp. Going to be in buffalo in 2 weeks. Am looking forward to watching the players. 

If what you’re saying is the truth, sounds like Brock might be getting the start game 1 then.

5 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

If what you’re saying is the truth, sounds like Brock might be getting the start game 1 then.

Based off how he’s looked, if he isn’t starting then he’s still getting significant minutes. He’s quicker and is using his full frame down low, hard to guard 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Based off how he’s looked, if he isn’t starting then he’s still getting significant minutes. He’s quicker and is using his full frame down low, hard to guard 

I guess better late than never. I would have liked to see Perk and Brock playing a little twin towers game last year, but if he's getting quicker and better at shooting this year, I'll take it.

29 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Maybe its me being way too optimistic but I can see this team cracking the top 25 this year again.

Especially if both mballa and hardnett are eligible

I by no means want to dampen your optimism, but my expectations are a bit lower (rank maybe between 90-120) and a decent shot at winning MAC tournament.  That's just me, I prefer to be pleasantly surprised. :classic_biggrin:.   The observation that practices show reason for optimism including potential contributions from Brock that aren't on Barttovik radar is encouraging.

I know that people will share as soon as becomes public, but any idea on timing of waiver decisions? Consensus seems to be Hardnett will get waiver and Mballa will not.

2 hours ago, ubmae86 said:

I guess better late than never. I would have liked to see Perk and Brock playing a little twin towers game last year, but if he's getting quicker and better at shooting this year, I'll take it.

Brock worked a lot on his shooting and actually can hit 3s pretty consistently now as well. Not sure if he’ll have the green light to shoot them like Perkins did but it’s still encouraging.

Not even just Brock though. Segu is showing more confidence and actually showing off his shiftiness (hesi move he’s known for) and is making acrobatic contested layups. 

Davonta looks more explosive and his shooting has improved remarkably. 

Graves is very quiet personality-wise (think Kawhi Leonard) like usual, but looks ready to lead and his shot looks as spot on as I’ve ever seen it.

Savion looks like he was severely underrated because he plays at a freshman Graves level.

Grant is being completely overlooked by the media because he has Jeremy Harris scoring potential and shows it on a daily basis.

Johnson reminds a lot of Wes Clark. Like a LOT. Hits shots with guys all over him like it’s nothing and is a very athletic rebounder.

Williams has improved in every aspect honestly. His shot is falling, and his long arms make him a really difficult matchup to guard. Very athletic dunking on people.

Skogman is very talented and has a very smooth 3 point touch but is just a step slow on some plays so he just needs to work on his lateral quickness and he could easily be a frequent double digit scorer.

Hardnett is extremely athletic and a very good rim protector as well as showing good slashing sense. Could see a lot of pick and roll alley-oops to him.

My biggest surprise along with Brock shining is Mballa. Online, Texas Tech fans said he was a project and needs work but that’s not the case because he looks very impressive. He’s strong, plays excellent perimeter defense (he’s been stealing the ball and poking the ball out even on Jordan and Johnson), and he can hit 3s.

Long post I know but all of these players are showing a lot of promise, this is coming from someone who was expecting a severe drop off from last season. Haven’t even seen Nickelberry yet but he figures to also be one of our best players. 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Brock worked a lot on his shooting and actually can hit 3s pretty consistently now as well. Not sure if he’ll have the green light to shoot them like Perkins did but it’s still encouraging.

Not even just Brock though. Segu is showing more confidence and actually showing off his shiftiness (hesi move he’s known for) and is making acrobatic contested layups. 

Graves is very quiet personality-wise (think Kawhi Leonard) like usual, but looks ready to lead and his shot looks as spot on as I’ve ever seen it.

Savion looks like he was severely underrated because he plays at a freshman Graves level.

Grant is being completely overlooked by the media because he has Jeremy Harris scoring potential and shows it on a daily basis.

Johnson reminds a lot of Wes Clark. Like a LOT. Hits shots with guys all over him like it’s nothing and is a very athletic rebounder.

Williams has improved in every aspect honestly. His shot is falling, and his long arms make him a really difficult matchup to guard. Very athletic dunking on people.

Skogman is very talented and has a very smooth 3 point touch but is just a step slow on some plays so he just needs to work on his lateral quickness and he could easily be a frequent double digit scorer.

Hardnett is extremely athletic and a very good rim protector as well as showing good slashing sense. Could see a lot of pick and roll alley-oops to him.

My biggest surprise along with Brock shining is Mballa. Online, Texas Tech fans said he was a project and needs work but that’s not the case because he looks very impressive. He’s strong, plays excellent perimeter defense (he’s been stealing the ball and poking the ball out even on Jordan and Johnson), and he can hit 3s.

Long post I know but all of these players are showing a lot of promise, this is coming from someone who was expecting a severe drop off from last season. Haven’t even seen Nickelberry yet but he figures to also be one of our best players. 

LET THE SEASON BEGIN

23 minutes ago, 961819 said:

If I didn’t know any better I’d think you were watching with blue tinted glasses... hope your right!

29 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Is it basketball season yet? 

54 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Brock worked a lot on his shooting and actually can hit 3s pretty consistently now as well....My biggest surprise along with Brock shining is Mballa. Online, Texas Tech fans said he was a project and needs work but that’s not the case because he looks very impressive. He’s strong, plays excellent perimeter defense (he’s been stealing the ball and poking the ball out even on Jordan and Johnson), and he can hit 3s....Nickelberry yet but he figures to also be one of our best players. 

You are making a believer out of me!  Let's get the season started!

19 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I think we can all agree that the site is garbage as a whole.

I disagree completely.  Best site out there.  Barttovik is just using an algorithm, and putting out projections based on very limited data in a lot of circumstances for some 300+ d1 programs and some thousands of d1 players for offseason fodder.  But is probably one of the best sites for comparing said 300+ programs once the actual games and actual data is around to compare.  Wanna win some money come March, visit this site. 

• Like 2