Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Gabe Grant’s Story

Jeseph

31 minutes ago, HOWARD 71 said:

You never know with a guy like this.....

I assume he'll get some minutes, especially early as the coaches try to figure out the best combinations.  

To go back in time, here is what Oats said about Grant when he signed (as a bonus, you get the Johnson take as well).

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20180705mj3f8n

2 hours ago, 961819 said:

Easily a 10ppg kind of guy

I think this is wildly optimistic. Graves didn't even hit 10ppg last year. Grant will be the 4th or 5th option when on the court, which should be rarely considering he's behind Nate, Nickleberry and  Hardnett on the wing. He showed nothing like 10ppg scoring ability at Houston. Unless he seriously improved his 3 point stroke or something. Hope to be proven wrong.

Without having seen him play I’d imagine he’s a glue guy type. Hustles and does all the gritty things needed to help a team win. Kinda reminds me of Calvin Betts. 

I think one thing for right now that we shouldn’t do is get locked into who will play what role. That will sort itself out. And we have tons of options which to me is a good problem to have. 

3 hours ago, MuchMany said:

I think this is wildly optimistic. Graves didn't even hit 10ppg last year. Grant will be the 4th or 5th option when on the court, which should be rarely considering he's behind Nate, Nickleberry and  Hardnett on the wing. He showed nothing like 10ppg scoring ability at Houston. Unless he seriously improved his 3 point stroke or something. Hope to be proven wrong.

I have quite literally with my own two eyes seen him in practice shredding our defense. It isn’t overly optimistic at all, and he isn’t going against the AAC anymore so the Houston example has no weight. 

9 minutes ago, 961819 said:

I have quite literally with my own two eyes seen him in practice shredding our defense. It isn’t overly optimistic at all, and he isn’t going against the AAC anymore so the Houston example has no weight. 

Of course his time in the AAC matters as it's his last real game action to scout. Plenty of players look like stars in summer ball. He doesn't have the measurables, pedigree, or results to warrant the optimism expressed, so excuse me if I trust those things a bit more than your eyes.

I'd be happy to make a friendly wager with you that he doesn't score 10ppg. And I hope that I lose that wager.

51 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Of course his time in the AAC matters as it's his last real game action to scout. Plenty of players look like stars in summer ball. He doesn't have the measurables, pedigree, or results to warrant the optimism expressed, so excuse me if I trust those things a bit more than your eyes.

I'd be happy to make a friendly wager with you that he doesn't score 10ppg. And I hope that I lose that wager.

To be fair his time with Houston was 2 years ago. That’s an eternity of development for kids their age. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MuchMany said:

End of the day, their play will do the talking. I hope any doubters are pleasantly surprised 

Edited by 961819

Fact is, we really don't know what we're getting from just about anyone except Graves and Jordan until the games begin. We have newcomers with very good reason to believe will be strong contributors or better (Johnson, Nickelberry, Hardnett, Mballa if eligible), returning guys who should take a big step forward (Williams, Segu), and bigger unknowns/wild cards from there. Grant and especially Bertram, however encouraging their showings in practice, have a lot to prove but should get their chance to do so.

I’m currently an undergraduate student at UB and was able to attend 2-3 practices a week during the winter and into the spring sessions. From what I’ve seen, Gabe is definitely one of the most intriguing pieces on this team. He’s able to knock down the 3 consistently, use his frame to score around the basket, and is a much better defender than he gets credit for. There were times during the winter when he was the most competitive guy on the floor, which says a lot for a guy who knows he wasn’t seeing action in a game anytime soon. He may only be 6’6 but he plays much bigger and his physicallity is going to give MAC opponents problems.

• Like 5

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, UBJG said:

I’m currently an undergraduate student at UB and was able to attend 2-3 practices a week during the winter and into the spring sessions. From what I’ve seen, Gabe is definitely one of the most intriguing pieces on this team. He’s able to knock down the 3 consistently, use his frame to score around the basket, and is a much better defender than he gets credit for. There were times during the winter when he was the most competitive guy on the floor, which says a lot for a guy who knows he wasn’t seeing action in a game anytime soon. He may only be 6’6 but he plays much bigger and his physicallity is going to give MAC opponents problems.

This is very encouraging insight.  Lets hope he can contribute off the bench and be that spark plug we need off the bench.

Great story and very inspirational!

• Thanks 1