Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Of the new recruits who will contribute the most this season? Who will contribute the most over the course of their careers here at UB?

MaineBull

As we all know we have some very solid recruits coming in this season.  How will these recruits contribute this coming season?  How will they contribute over the course of their careers here at UB? 

Here are my thoughts:

This season I see contributions from most of this group.  I see Gallion having the least playing time of the group this season.  For the sake of argument I am assuming that Mballa is not granted his waiver to play this season.  As I have said on this forum Mballa is a difference maker for this team.  If he is granted his waiver to play this season we instantly become the favorite to win the MAC and return to the big dance!  Hardnett will contribute immediately.  I see him starting out of the gate and contributing on the glass, running the floor and finishing off screen and rolls on a regular basis.  His athleticism and motor will be tough to handle for many of the teams in the MAC.  We have a budding star on our hands in Hardnett.  Skogman is an impressive pickup by this staff.  He is long and can really stretch the floor with his shooting.  Skogman, is a freshman so I suspect the coaching staff will ease him into it.  Allowing him to get a handle on the game as the season gets underway.  I suspect he will come off the bench and will contribute on a regular basis.  His role will increase as the season goes along but keep in mind he is still a freshman.  Nickelberry will be the biggest contributor for the upcoming season.  I suspect he will start right away and will be a big part of this team.  He will score and rebound and defend.  His athleticism and length will be key attributes that will propel this team to a successful campaign.  I think UB fans will quickly grow to like David and his passion for the game and willingness to compete on both ends of the floor.  I suspect he will be one of the leaders of this team along with Graves and Jordan.

As for the contributions of these recruits over their careers, I see all of them having a big impact on this program.  Not only from a performance point of view on the court but also and maybe more importantly from a recruiting point of view.  If Mballa and Hardnett have the success that I think they will over the time they spend here at UB, I think it will open the door for more transfers from P5 conferences to consider transferring to UB!   This is a huge step for our program if we can start pulling transfers from P5 Schools.  Gallion will need sometime to develop but I see a bright future for him here at UB.  He may not contribute year 1 or 2 significantly but by the time he leaves UB I suspect he will be a big contributor.  Hardnett and MBalla will be great players for this program.  Their length and athleticism will be the mold of interior players that this coaching staff covets in the future. They will allow us to run the floor and to switch on defense without worrying about matchups.  I suspect one day we will look back to when we got transfers from both Cincinatti and Texas Tech in the same season and think that was when we turned the corner as a program from a recuiting point of view.  That is when we went from meddling mid major to desirable mid major in the eyes of recruits.  Nickelberry will be a key contributor for both of his two years here.  Like Mballa and Hardnett his length will be difficult for many of the guards in the MAC to handle.  He is a mismatch on the wings for many of the guards in the conference.  I think the biggest contributor over their career here at UB will be Skogman.  In fact, I think one day we may look back and admit he is the best recruit we have ever landed here at UB!  His length and the style of play he utilizes will be a major mismatch in this conference.  His game is the perfect compliment to how this program wants to play.  He may be the best shooting big man we have ever had here at UB.  

I see big things from this program this season and the years ahead.  I cannot wait to get this season started and look forward to watching this team develop and to see if we can make it 5 in 6 years.  I like our chances, not going to lie!  Go Bulls!

What does everyone else think?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MaineBull said:

As we all know we have some very solid recruits coming in this season.  How will these recruits contribute this coming season?  How will they contribute over the course of their careers here at UB? 

Here are my thoughts:

This season I see contributions from most of this group.  I see Gallion having the least playing time of the group this season.  For the sake of argument I am assuming that Mballa is not granted his waiver to play this season.  As I have said on this forum Mballa is a difference maker for this team.  If he is granted his waiver to play this season we instantly become the favorite to win the MAC and return to the big dance!  Hardnett will contribute immediately.  I see him starting out of the gate and contributing on the glass, running the floor and finishing off screen and rolls on a regular basis.  His athleticism and motor will be tough to handle for many of the teams in the MAC.  We have a budding star on our hands in Hardnett.  Skogman is an impressive pickup by this staff.  He is long and can really stretch the floor with his shooting.  Skogman, is a freshman so I suspect the coaching staff will ease him into it.  Allowing him to get a handle on the game as the season gets underway.  I suspect he will come off the bench and will contribute on a regular basis.  His role will increase as the season goes along but keep in mind he is still a freshman.  Nickelberry will be the biggest contributor for the upcoming season.  I suspect he will start right away and will be a big part of this team.  He will score and rebound and defend.  His athleticism and length will be key attributes that will propel this team to a successful campaign.  I think UB fans will quickly grow to like David and his passion for the game and willingness to compete on both ends of the floor.  I suspect he will be one of the leaders of this team along with Graves and Jordan.

As for the contributions of these recruits over their careers, I see all of them having a big impact on this program.  Not only from a performance point of view on the court but also and maybe more importantly from a recruiting point of view.  If Mballa and Hardnett have the success that I think they will over the time they spend here at UB, I think it will open the door for more transfers from P5 conferences to consider transferring to UB!   This is a huge step for our program if we can start pulling transfers from P5 Schools.  Gallion will need sometime to develop but I see a bright future for him here at UB.  He may not contribute year 1 or 2 significantly but by the time he leaves UB I suspect he will be a big contributor.  Hardnett and MBalla will be great players for this program.  Their length and athleticism will be the mold of interior players that this coaching staff covets in the future. They will allow us to run the floor and to switch on defense without worrying about matchups.  I suspect one day we will look back to when we got transfers from both Cincinatti and Texas Tech in the same season and think that was when we turned the corner as a program from a recuiting point of view.  That is when we went from meddling mid major to desirable mid major in the eyes of recruits.  Nickelberry will be a key contributor for both of his two years here.  Like Mballa and Hardnett his length will be difficult for many of the guards in the MAC to handle.  He is a mismatch on the wings for many of the guards in the conference.  I think the biggest contributor over their career here at UB will be Skogman.  In fact, I think one day we may look back and admit he is the best recruit we have ever landed here at UB!  His length and the style of play he utilizes will be a major mismatch in this conference.  His game is the perfect compliment to how this program wants to play.  He may be the best shooting big man we have ever had here at UB.  

I see big things from this program this season and the years ahead.  I cannot wait to get this season started and look forward to watching this team develop and to see if we can make it 5 in 6 years.  I like our chances, not going to lie!  Go Bulls!

What does everyone else think?

The more I read the more I agreed with, pretty spot on

To answer the question to the title of the post, I think David Nickelberry will be our most productive player from this class. His stats are quite similar to Jeremy Harris’ JUCO stats. And the only difference with Nickelberry is he’s a more physical player. I expect him to be providing close to the same stats as Harris. I’m unsure who else contributes the most after him. Possibly Hardnett with his athleticism, length, and quickness. Time will tell on that. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

To answer the question to the title of the post, I think David Nickelberry will be our most productive player from this class. His stats are quite similar to Jeremy Harris’ JUCO stats. And the only difference with Nickelberry is he’s a more physical player. I expect him to be providing close to the same stats as Harris. I’m unsure who else contributes the most after him. Possibly Hardnett with his athleticism, length, and quickness. Time will tell on that. 

For those not interested in reading the detailed analysis above.  My answers to these same questions are:

David Nickelberry will contribute the most this season.

David Skogman will contribute the most over his career at UB.

5 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

My only disagreement is that having former P5 recruits transferring in is actually a sign of a growing or good program.  I’d rather have players transferring out to P5s as UB starts getting frosh to pick us over some P5s and playing time is hard to come by.  

So you rather have a guy like Skogman transfer out of UB after two seasons to go play at a P5?

Just trying to understand. 

5 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

My only disagreement is that having former P5 recruits transferring in is actually a sign of a growing or good program.  I’d rather have players transferring out to P5s as UB starts getting frosh to pick us over some P5s and playing time is hard to come by.  

I'd rather have players that P5s would be interested in as transfers, but our players are satisfied staying with Buffalo and not looking to transfer.

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:24 AM, DocCas86 said:

I'd rather have players that P5s would be interested in as transfers, but our players are satisfied staying with Buffalo and not looking to transfer.

I think one of the keys to our success in the recruiting trail will be our ability to get quality P5 players or transfers and offer them playing time right away.  This is not a luxury that many of the P5 schools can offer.  These recruits want to play and they want to play from day 1.  We can offer this to many of the quality recruits and or transfers.  This is one of the big factors that allows mid majors like us to compete with these larger schools in recruiting. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 10:24 AM, DocCas86 said:

I’d prefer our players looking to transfer to a P5 (Because they’re good enough) because the next frosh is taking his job, not the other way around.  Then you have arrived.  And obviously I’d love being a P5 school but it took us decades to climb to the top of the MAC, imagine the time table to become respectable in the BiG...

I prefer our players to play at UB for 4 years. And we develop a great mix of upperclassmen and lower class men. That way when a senior graduates we have a junior ready to step in and start for 2 years. And behind that junior we have a shiny freshman to develop and so on and so on. Sustained success.

Last thing I want is a player like Skogman or whoever to come to UB play 2 seasons and after a break out sophomore season he leaves us for a bigger program. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I prefer our players to play at UB for 4 years. And we develop a great mix of upperclassmen and lower class men. That way when a senior graduates we have a junior ready to step in and start for 2 years. And behind that junior we have a shiny freshman to develop and so on and so on. Sustained success.

Last thing I want is a player like Skogman or whoever to come to UB play 2 seasons and after a break out sophomore season he leaves us for a bigger program. 

In an ideal world, you'd like this.  However, humans look at the grass in the neighbor's yard...especially if that neighbor is a P5.  It is human nature.   The best we can do is keep winning and making the tournament (and winning games).  All of the rest will follow.

There was a good article in TBN about how the new recruits made their choice of UB so late in the process.  Winning and brand recognition was a big factor.  Gotta keep winning.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, UB92 said:

However, humans look at the grass in the neighbor's yard...especially if that neighbor is a P5.  It is human nature.   The best we can do is keep winning and making the tournament (and winning games).  All of the rest will follow.

I agree 100%, win and rest will follow.  That is the surest way to keep your players from looking to play elsewhere.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:57 PM, UB92 said:

In an ideal world, you'd like this.  However, humans look at the grass in the neighbor's yard...especially if that neighbor is a P5.  It is human nature.   The best we can do is keep winning and making the tournament (and winning games).  All of the rest will follow.

There was a good article in TBN about how the new recruits made their choice of UB so late in the process.  Winning and brand recognition was a big factor.  Gotta keep winning.  

Well said, the best recruiting tool is winning.  Win and the recruits will want to play for the Bulls!