Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB most subsudized athletic department in the MAC?

23 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Graduate students do not pay an athletic fee.  They cannot use the gym facilities and must pay to go to games.

UB has tried to make them pay the fees for at least 20 years but always meet resistance from the grad students and it never gets done.

I would hand them my student ID at games and tell them I was undergrad even though I was a graduate student and I would get in to games for free

13 hours ago, rma said:

Central has a larger percent subsidy.  Also of note UB has the largest revenue in the MAC.

A review of this information reveals a lot about our program and the current state of our athletic department.  Winning has a way of fixing everything.  It is obvious that these numbers are mostly driven by the football programs.  Good to see us at the top of the MAC!

Largest revenue -- only if you count the subsidy from student fees and other subsudies.

This is the revenue if you look at what the athletic department actually generates.

Ohio $13,477,620
Toledo $12,893,742
Western Michigan $11,628,975
Miami (Ohio) $11,286,775
Bowling Green $10,653,775
Akron $10,311,661
Northern Illinois $10,214,570
Buffalo $10,021,496
Central Michigan $9,610,901
Eastern Michigan $8,772,376
Kent State $8,481,558
Ball State $7,873,482

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Largest revenue -- only if you count the subsidy from student fees and other subsudies.

This is the revenue if you look at what the athletic department actually generates.

Ohio $13,477,620
Toledo $12,893,742
Western Michigan $11,628,975
Miami (Ohio) $11,286,775
Bowling Green $10,653,775
Akron $10,311,661
Northern Illinois $10,214,570
Buffalo $10,021,496
Central Michigan $9,610,901
Eastern Michigan $8,772,376
Kent State $8,481,558
Ball State $7,873,482

The biggest difference between Buffalo and Ohio/Toledo is Contributions.  This has trended in right direction in past three years.  At risk of being a broken record, winning should help continue revenue in favorable direction.

Edited by DocCas86

I am not sure why student fees would be considered a subsidy at UB.  A subsidy would be extra money outside of your basic funding structure, similar to the subsidies under the Affordable Care Act, (nothing political, just the first thing I could think of on how a subsidy work and that people would be familiar with).  You get extra money to get what you need.  UB student fees are the basis of funding athletics. So they are not a subsidy.  It has been this way since at least the mid 1970s.

Any money that UB can get out of Albany directly for athletics or from UB's general operating budget  would be a subsidy.

7 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

I am not sure why student fees would be considered a subsidy at UB.  A subsidy would be extra money outside of your basic funding structure, similar to the subsidies under the Affordable Care Act, (nothing political, just the first thing I could think of on how a subsidy work and that people would be familiar with).  You get extra money to get what you need.  UB student fees are the basis of funding athletics. So they are not a subsidy.  It has been this way since at least the mid 1970s.

Any money that UB can get out of Albany directly for athletics or from UB's general operating budget  would be a subsidy.

The student fees also cover our ticket "purchases" to all the games. They may be "free" but accounting wise they are not. 

50 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

"Our athletic department isn't subsidized; we just charge the engineering student from Nepal $1,000 a year tax on his education to fund our football program.  Out football team needs the money to get what they need."

This is outside of basic funding structures.  Basic funding structures are ticket sales, sponsorship (advertising), and donations.  It is a subsidy because the Athletic Department is unable to cover their costs without earmarks specifically for the athletic department.

This is a major concern because the majority of students are paying for the athletic fee with student loans and then the majority of students are apathetic to the sports teams. 

Remember the student fee isn't just athletics, it includes other student activities that the school provides for all undergrads like the speaker series, and fall fest spring fest concerts

I would assume that the student fees allocated here as revenue are based off a percentage of "free" student tickets given out to athletic events

10 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Remember the student fee isn't just athletics, it includes other student activities that the school provides for all undergrads like the speaker series, and fall fest spring fest concerts

I would assume that the student fees allocated here as revenue are based off a percentage of "free" student tickets given out to athletic events

According to the University Website, the Athletic fee is currently $22.15 per credit someone takes.

18 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

According to the University Website, the Athletic fee is currently $22.15 per credit someone takes.

Was this always the case? Or did I never look at my tuition bills close enough, I just remember student fee x dollars ha

Thats good to know. 22.15 so about 350 per full time student a semester. 

15 years ago the revenue was 18 million, now it's 40 million, trending in the right direction. 

34 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Was this always the case? Or did I never look at my tuition bills close enough, I just remember student fee x dollars ha

It isn't broken out when billed to students.  The total fees are combined and listed as "Comprehensive fees" because parents and students would be upset if they knew how much was going to fund the athletes.

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

It isn't broken out when billed to students.  The total fees are combined and listed as "Comprehensive fees" because parents and students would be upset if they knew how much was going to fund the athletes.

Thats what I had thought, but its been a few years