Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Quarterback competition

UB05

Who do we think is going to win the starting QB role? All 3 seem to bring different things to the table. Maybe someone who has watched practice can give some insight? In my totally uneducated opinion I’m thinking Vantrease has the inside track. Started 2 years ago for an injured Jackson and has had plenty of time to develop since then.

Definitely haven’t seen any practices but I’m assuming vantrease. I remember him coming in after injuries hurt us a couple years back. Seemed decent and has had time to develop. That being said I’m interested in Myers and am all about the young new qb and getting them experience ASAP. 

Reading what Coach Leipold has said in the paper and inferring from that, I think it is Vantrease and it isn't close.  I think the other two guys will swap out the backup role.  I could see Myers having some packages because of his ability to run.  I think Johnson still has work to do in order to catch up relative to where he started.  

Depending on how the season goes, we may even see Bycznski or Chase...since they won't burn a redshirt playing in only a few games.

• Like 1

Wow I dig it. I feel like a lot of times coaches just go for the experience and are scared to put the young players in if it’s somewhat close. This must mean that Myers impressed LL enough to give him the nod and honestly that’s really exciting. Let’s see what he’s got and start getting him game experience NOW. GO BULLS

• Like 1

I admit I’m more excited for Myers than I would be for anybody else. Just because if he’s this good now to get the starting role, hopefully he’s a 4 year starter and we can build like we did with Willy, Licata, and Jackson.

That said, LL is 0 for 1 so far on starting QBs sooo who knows. 

5 hours ago, rma said:

I admit I’m more excited for Myers than I would be for anybody else. Just because if he’s this good now to get the starting role, hopefully he’s a 4 year starter and we can build like we did with Willy, Licata, and Jackson.

That said, LL is 0 for 1 so far on starting QBs sooo who knows. 

Lance is 0 for 1? Please explain.

7 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Can’t say I’m surprised, Matt has a lot of upside with throwing and the ability to run the ball. Not to disrespect Robert Morris, but, it should be a good game for him to settle in and make some plays, while getting Marks and Patterson reps.

I agree. Additionally if all goes well we might be able to see a good amount or both Myers and vantrease to see how each manages the game. Just saw on espn we are something like 44 point favorites 

On 8/18/2019 at 2:59 PM, UB92 said:

Reading what Coach Leipold has said in the paper and inferring from that, I think it is Vantrease and it isn't close.  I think the other two guys will swap out the backup role.  I could see Myers having some packages because of his ability to run.  I think Johnson still has work to do in order to catch up relative to where he started.  

Depending on how the season goes, we may even see Bycznski or Chase...since they won't burn a redshirt playing in only a few games.

After reading the articles in the paper that led me to the conclusions above, I also read some of the words Coach Leipold used to describe Myers in those articles.   I think he called Myers "poised" and said some other complementary things about Myers.  But I felt that Leipold really wanted experience under center and, thus, would go with Vantrease (at least to start the season).  

I was wrong, though.  It is clear that Coach Leipold wants to go with the run/pass option offense and Myers gives him the best guy to run that offense this year.

Notably, Johnson has been shifted to WR, so I expect that they will try to get Johnson on the field with the ball in his hands.  

If I am Bycznski or Chase, I am getting my helmet ready!

18 minutes ago, UB92 said:

After reading the articles in the paper that led me to the conclusions above, I also read some of the words Coach Leipold used to describe Myers in those articles.   I think he called Myers "poised" and said some other complementary things about Myers.  But I felt that Leipold really wanted experience under center and, thus, would go with Vantrease (at least to start the season).  

I was wrong, though.  It is clear that Coach Leipold wants to go with the run/pass option offense and Myers gives him the best guy to run that offense this year.

Notably, Johnson has been shifted to WR, so I expect that they will try to get Johnson on the field with the ball in his hands.  

If I am Bycznski or Chase, I am getting my helmet ready!

He should be good on a Hail Mary.  Naaman Roosevelt boxed out against Temple as well as any basketball player could ever hope to do on a court.  The eight also helps on plays near the end zone.. Think Harold Carmichael.

5 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

He should be good on a Hail Mary.  Naaman Roosevelt boxed out against Temple as well as any basketball player could ever hope to do on a court.  The eight also helps on plays near the end zone.. Think Harold Carmichael.

Their defender wiping out our #88 and taking 2 other defenders with them, didn't hurt Naaman's chances either.  I still can't get enough of that play.