Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

RMU game

weareub46

Not much talk on here post-game and I think that says it all. We clearly are going to be extremely run heavy and I think that just makes it less exciting of a game. If we can win with it then I couldn’t care less but we will see how the season progresses. 

Pros: 

1) It’s a UB victory and we start off 1-0. There was never truly a scare in the game either. I was generally underwhelmed but it never really felt like UB would lose this one. It’s one game closer to bowl eligibility no matter what 

2) running game looks strong and we have a great stable of backs. 

3) no injuries from what I could tell. Most important here 

4) kicking game was on point. Wish they would’ve let him try that long one (I think it would’ve been about 47) after he made the 40 yarder but whatever...

Cons: 

1) buffalo didn’t seem THAT much better than this team who is an fcs squad that’s gone something like 2-9 in the last 3 seasons. Felt like an inferior FBS team that we were able to handle and that’s scary 

2) the run game was working out great to start. If we can continuously get to 3rd and manageable idc we can run it all day and then hope every once in a while we catch them off guard with a throw. However, teams will catch on. Just like RMU did. Everyone and their mothers knows we are going to be running a ridiculous amount. Once RMU started to get used to it, things kinda grinded to a halt. I got the feeling we are going to be playing a lot of defense if we play like this against any FBS team

3) the defense was pretty porous at times. They had good moments and came out really stuffing the run but couldn’t really stop any mid-deep throws. I honestly have no idea why RMU didn’t throw it more. They were having all kinds of success despite a drop or two and one early overthrow. It actually felt similar to last year. The defense seems to be able to push it to 3rd down all the time but always struggles to get off the field. 

4) why did we not let Myers try and sling it around a little bit? He clearly had some major R-fr jitters and his short passes were all over the place. Why not let him keep trying them and get into a groove. This offense will not last against anybody FBS with how little we threw. I will say his long ball looked pretty decent just barely missing on one, throwing a nice ball on the PI and also to the wide open Lefebve but my god there needs to be way more balance. You are now bringing a redshirt freshman starter into prob a top 5 hardest places to play on prime time Next weekend and there is absolutely no way he feels comfortable throwing the ball after today. We all know PSU is watching our game tape from tonight and going to load up the box every down just daring us to throw the ball. Why wouldn’t you. I know we will he run heavy but even an FCS school figured out how to slow it down fairly quickly and then we were completely one dimensional. This is going to be a huge issue unless by some miracle we are just saving all of our throwing plays for PSU. 

Overall I know we won but by in large this was extremely underwhelming and makes me terrified for the rest of the season. I will be thrilled if I’m proved wrong but I really worry this is going to be a huge regression year...

• Like 1

I would have to agree a bit.

This style reminds me of the Hofer days of running qb and 4 running backs. Awful stuff.

That said we have leaps and bounds more talent than those teams had.

However going 5/10 for 69 yards for an entire game will not cut it even against Mac teams.

I completely agree that they should have had him throw it around a lot more. Yes I get we will clearly be a run first team this year but we can't be Army level of run pass ratio.

You are playing a bad FCS team, let him throw 20 passes. You weren't going to lose this game even if he struggled. I felt like this was a bit of a waste of a game that he could have used to get some work in.

Overall I like Myers skill set and running ability, but I was hoping he had as good of an arm as legs.

Can’t say I’m impressed by anything a I saw. Figured Myers would throw the ball more. Just a real snooze fest and Robert Morris had 15 more minutes of time of possession than we did. That’s really a head scratcher. I don’t know how people think this team can win 7-8 games if that’s what UB has to offer. Probably some of the most boring, dry play calling I’ve seen. 

Myers stat line did not look good, but I was very impressed by him.  He is playing in his first game.  I got to see the players practice over the summer and I actually thought he looked the best out of the 3 potential starting QBs.  Myers throws a nice ball.  He has tremendous upside.  

The other player that stuck out at camp was Lefebvre.  He has nice size, speed and has tremendous hands.  He was really impressed catching balls with the gun.

Was surprised to see a new name Marlyn Johnson in the 2 deep.  It's a name we have never really talked about.  It looks like he decided to come this summer.  He's a big time recruit that we need to pay attention to.  He had 16 major offers in HS and de-commited at Rutgers because of how bad they were.  I guess we impressed him because his decommit came 2 weeks after we thumped them.  

Antonio Nunn is going to be our primary receiver.  I hope he's ready for Penn State because I did not see our receivers get much separation against RMU's dbacks.  That is going to be a huge issue.  We are really going to miss KJ Osborne.  I want to say that we might miss him more than Tyree this year (Anthony Johnson was going to graduate anyway).

Not a great win, but now a bad one either.  We didn't need to throw, but I do agree with everyone that it would have been nice to throw more and get Myers into a rhythm.

Defense overall looked decent, but had some horrible moments.  Not sure if they just fell asleep or if we are going to struggle as a unit.

Nice job by the Patterson twins and the Buffalo News article was highlighted by the announcers on ESPN+.  Those twins are going to be the foundation of our program for the next 3 years.

Personally, I would not read too much into this game. It looked more like a preseason NFL game with UB just giving vanilla looks on offense, knowing they were better in every area. Yes, we will be run heavy this season but the ratio will not be 47:10 in other games. I take away that we did not have to put anything on film in terms of the offensive playbook outside of some basic run plays...hopefully this gives us a bit of an edge down the road in competitive games.

The one thing I did not like is giving up two first half TD's...the secondary is still the question mark of the defense IMO. Offensively I do believe we are in good shape. The ability to throw 5 running backs out there should prove to be a big positive during the MAC season. As long as Nunn comes back healthy, we should have three solid receiving options in him, Lefebvre and Johnson. Outside of the Penn State game, I believe we will be able to put up points on anyone and the difference between 5-6 wins and 7-8 will be if we can get stops against teams like Ohio and Miami.

The game went exactly as i thought it would, as mentioned in the Bull Run prediction thread.  O-line and RB's are the strength.  D is solid.  I think LL rolled in a lot of inexperienced players throughout the game to get them some PT.  The starting D looked a bit disinterested with a weak FCS opponent on the other side.  The WR's seemed non-existent.  Without AJ , KJ, Jones, etc... there is a huge void there.  Hopefully Nunn is back healthy soon.  I like Myers alot.  Obviously he was jittery in his first start, he showed some wheels and a decent ability to throw the ball.  One deep corner pass to the end zone was there, the WR laid out and it went right through his arms, ugh.  

Not sure they will be able to run well against Penn State and a massive D-Line, so if they can't get some passing mixed in that game will be a throttling.  

Yea I also wonder if playing an FCS opponent made us a little flat especially on defense. I’m hoping with a formidable opponent the D really steps up the focus on every play. The couple of breakdowns could be slight lapses when in the back of your head you know it’s going to be an easy win. We shall see