Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bulls Summer Update and Lineup Notes

Kevin

15 minutes ago, JoeyRattlesnake said:

Deeper 1-10?  That seems optimistic, but I like it.

It sounds crazy, but doesn't sound impossible to me. Last year's "8" and "9" would've been presumably freshmen Williams and Segu, with "6" and "7" being Perk/Caruthers off the bench (even though no one would truly put Perk as a true bench guy). "#10" would've been Fagan or Brock, who truly had minimal at best playing time.

This year, you've got Johnson, Graves, Jordan, Nickelberry, Hardnett, Mballa, Grant, Segu, Williams, Skogman/Brock. This isn't necessarily a rank order, but somewhat of the presumed lineup based on the original post of this thread. Based on that, it's not super far off depth-wise. Player for player, it could look like this:

CJ - Johnson (we're all hoping for big things from Johnson, but this is a 4th year CJ, edge to CJ)

Graves - Graves (edge to this year's version)

Jordan - Jordan (edge to this year's version)

Harris - Nickelberry (again, we all have high hoped for Nickelberry and I would be more than happy to get a push for this year)

Perk - Mballa (this year, I'm definitely going with a 4th year Perk)

McRae- Hardnett (without having played yet in college, we can't be sure, but could definitely use Hardnett to be a win here)

Caruthers - Grant (not the same position, but Dontay brought us some huge things last year. Hoping for some nice things out of Grant, but giving the edge to #22)

Williams - Williams - (edge to this year's version)

Segu - Segu - (edge to this year's version)

Fagan/Brock - Skogman/Brock (I'd probably take this year's)

Breaking it down that way, it doesn't "seem" to be a crazy idea. What can't be assigned is the cohesiveness of last year's group, many of whom played together for at least 2 years. Many of this year's group is new and it may take time to get rotation, roles, understanding of each other.

Regardless, it should be a very strong team and one that I greatly look forward to seeing play.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 11:26 AM, dutchcountry7 said:

You would think by now they would just default with UB being the best team in the league.  

We all know it is the safest bet.  

We are the flagship in the MAC. 

We were the stand out the last five years. Does that necessarily mean we are the flagship this year? Or the next five years? Unlikely I'd say, but let's give Jim a chance to keep the momentum going.

8 hours ago, UB85 said:

We were the stand out the last five years. Does that necessarily mean we are the flagship this year? Or the next five years? Unlikely I'd say, but let's give Jim a chance to keep the momentum going.

Wut? To each his own but ... Some people just bleed negativity like it's part of their dna. The facts are; we have an exceptional recruitment group supplementing a very good returning group. And for most of us, yes, The Bulls are the flagship of the MAC and have earned it. To those in the Mac who think otherwise - prove it.

Edited by blue
too harsh

4 minutes ago, SGBull said:

Still no update on Mballa, I am assuming he is playing because he has his number on the website, but I never saw any official statement.

I like your optimism, but given the length of time with no official statement, my guess was his initial request was  declined by NCAA and currently in an appeal process.  As far as I can see, not a lot of transparency on the waiver process, so it is anyone's guess as to what criteria they are considering.  Fingers crossed Mballa gets a waiver.

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:
1 hour ago, SGBull said:

Still no update on Mballa, I am assuming he is playing because he has his number on the website, but I never saw any official statement.

I like your optimism, but given the length of time with no official statement, my guess was his initial request was  declined by NCAA and currently in an appeal process.  As far as I can see, not a lot of transparency on the waiver process, so it is anyone's guess as to what criteria they are considering.  Fingers crossed Mballa gets a waiver.

For what it is worth Mballa has a number on the roster, which Johnson did not have last year.