Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bowl Games

admin

It looks like we will miss the big bowl because of our Army loss. What a bummer. 

According to espn, we are slotted to either Boca Raton bowl in Florida or dollar general in mobile alabama. 

Are those the two top bowls with MAC affiliation? Does anyone know which is for the MAC’s winner?

Any chance another bigger bowl opens up and we fill it? Is it our choice?

Boca Raton I think is a better destination but the date is 17th a Tuesday night before Christmas break.

Mobile, I’ve never been to but it’s a Saturday game which might be better for fans.

I just checked flights.  Flights to Fort Lauderdale is really cheap.  $100 for roundtrip on Spirit Air.

Flights to Mobile is $500 roundtrip from NYC.  Multiply by 5 for family of 5, we're looking at a huge difference.  $500 as opposed to $2500 for flights.

Toledo got crushed by App State last year in Mobile.
Akron got crushed by FAU in Boca.

So I would guess Toledo doesn't get Mobile in 2018 which might mean UB in Mobile if it's between UB and Toledo.

For the West, it looks like it'll come down to either Western or NIU.

5 minutes ago, admin said:

I just checked flights.  Flights to Fort Lauderdale is really cheap.  $100 for roundtrip on Spirit Air.

Flights to Mobile is $500 roundtrip from NYC.  Multiply by 5 for family of 5, we're looking at a huge difference.  $500 as opposed to $2500 for flights.

Toledo got crushed by App State last year in Mobile.
Akron got crushed by FAU in Boca.

So I would guess Toledo doesn't get Mobile in 2018 which might mean UB in Mobile if it's between UB and Toledo.

For the West, it looks like it'll come down to either Western or NIU.

Instead of flying to Mobile, consider flying to Atlanta and rent a car. It's about 4.5 hours drive to Mobile. Or try New Orleans. Only 2.5 hours away. You'll probably get better fares.

3 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Best hope, better bowl games, ones tied to larger conferences, need teams to fill-in. How great would a Pinstripe Bowl against Syracuse be?

It will be a big longshot for the Pinstripe Bowl not to fill.  I believe there are lower-tier bowls with one P5 tie-in that may be in play.  If UB has a gaudy record, maybe they can get one of those.

App State is ranked this week..at 5 -1.   UB did not get a vote at all (not one vote!) from the AP (neither did Army).   UB needs to send some propaganda to the AP voters to get on the radar.

1 hour ago, rma said:

Do you really want to do that to yourself though?

Ha. Yeah I would. My wife, never. So ...

According to Wikipedia, dollar general has the highest payout at $750k. 

Boca pays $400k but I don’t think MAC is the first choice. It’s between AAC and CUSA. 

Bahamas pays $400k, the rest of the bowls are below $200k with one of them at $100k. 

14 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Best hope, better bowl games, ones tied to larger conferences, need teams to fill-in. How great would a Pinstripe Bowl against Syracuse be?

The irony is the midwest teams don't want to go to the pinstripe bowl because it's too far and hotels are too expensive.

The Yankees should be pushing for a UB - Syracuse bowl, our International Bowl attendance was 50% higher than the average of the other International bowls, and attendance for the international bowl, 40,184 would be the 3rd highest attended Pinstripe Bowl. You could basically pencil in a sell out.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw a post on UBBullRun about Bowl projections with a more consensus with the Dollar General Bowl. 

I thought Alabama put into law against transgenders saying that you have to use the bathrooms in accordance to your sex at birth. Essentially the same law that North Carolina used. NYS banned non-essential travel to NC and I thought all states that implement the law as well. 

The football team might not be allowed to go to Mobile, Alabama because it is considered non-essential travel. Could be wrong but isn't that the case?

2 hours ago, BullsFan14 said:

Just saw a post on UBBullRun about Bowl projections with a more consensus with the Dollar General Bowl. 

I thought Alabama put into law against transgenders saying that you have to use the bathrooms in accordance to your sex at birth. Essentially the same law that North Carolina used. NYS banned non-essential travel to NC and I thought all states that implement the law as well. 

The football team might not be allowed to go to Mobile, Alabama because it is considered non-essential travel. Could be wrong but isn't that the case?

The travel ban is to Indiana, North Carolina and Mississippi.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/states-join-ny-stand-discrimination-article-1.3737939

11 hours ago, weareub46 said:

Saw in that Hustle Belt article someone said UB at Boise against Boise St. That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. Def don't want a repeat of the same bowl and even more don't want to play a team that has literal home advantage

I saw this being predicted by cbs sports. Which tells me how inept whoever that writer was. 

Does he think we are going to lose every game from here on out?

https://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/bowls/predictions

I don’t think Idaho would be our top choice. If Dollar General gets the MAC champ, then that’s the obvious choice. Then I think the out of the MAC affiliate bowls, it would be Bahamas i would think. Not sure why we’re being being mentioned in Boca Raton, perhaps it’s because AAC won’t be able to get enough bowl eligible teams. 

I am starting to see some Quick Lane Bowl action for the MAC as B1G may need a replacement to match with an ACC team.  Maybe Wake or GaTech.  It is in Detroit...

One of the things working in the Bulls favor is they have a few marketable players (Tyree, AJ, Hodge) that can be used to generate interest (at the venue and TV-wise).  This would be especially true if UB is 12 - 1 (after winning the MACC).  Putting a 12 - 1 team on a marquee is attractive.

Also...I see Jerry Palm has Syracuse at the Pinstripe Bowl.  But Syracuse is already playing Notre Dame this year at Yankee Stadium.  I doubt they will make a return engagement one month later.

Palm still has UB in Boise playing Utah State.  Good match up, but blah venue.

• 3 weeks later...

According to Buffalo News, we are still in play for Dollar General. It also says ESPN has first dibs and not Dollar General. I really hope ESPN doesn’t send us to Idaho. 

Also Sourthern Miss qualified today. That might hurt us as that would mean they can goto Cheribundi.