Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2020 Recruiting Speculation

DocCas86

Now that we have first commitment, I thought I would start a general thread about 2020 recruiting.  I was curious on people's opinions regarding how we utilize the two remaining scholarships.    I had hoped that either Kedrian Johnson (commit to West Virginia)  or Vincent Cole (commit to St. John's), both JUCO SG who had good stats in the freshman campaign might be options. 

By my account (and verbalcommits.com), here are the current open offers.

image.png.e553372ecbbd2ef5ac1a48ce79ecae25.png

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Now that we have first commitment, I thought I would start a general thread about 2020 recruiting.  I was curious on people's opinions regarding how we utilize the two remaining scholarships.    I had hoped that either Kedrian Johnson (commit to West Virginia)  or Vincent Cole (commit to St. John's), both JUCO SG who had good stats in the freshman campaign might be options. 

This is great.  Thanks for doing this.

To provide perspective, can you add in (to the right of the rank) the Top 3 other teams who have made offers to those players?  I know "Top 3" is not specific, but something that would give us an idea of the other team(s) in on this player (so much so that they have made an offer).   

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, UB92 said:

This is great.  Thanks for doing this.

To provide perspective, can you add in (to the right of the rank) the Top 3 other teams who have made offers to those players?  I know "Top 3" is not specific, but something that would give us an idea of the other team(s) in on this player (so much so that they have made an offer).   

Thanks.

Certainly a good idea... and looks like I can do some data scraping from verbalcommits.com to get all of the teams.  However, doing my day job at the moment, so I will shoot to do this over the weekend, unless someone wants to beat me to it. 🙂

6 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Really appreciate you doing this, also had no idea Tyson Acuff was so highly regarded. If we can get more players at or above the caliber of Chanse then I don’t see any drop off despite graduating Davonta, Antwain, and Gabe. 

Officially we had 3 scholarship spots to fill, 2 once Chanse signs. If Brock decides to call it quits after this season since he’s a senior in the classroom that potentially opens up 1 more spot.

Good thread to have to stay up to date and on top of things 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

Really appreciate you doing this, also had no idea Tyson Acuff was so highly regarded. If we can get more players at or above the caliber of Chanse then I don’t see any drop off despite graduating Davonta, Antwain, and Gabe. 

Officially we had 3 scholarship spots to fill, 2 once Chanse signs. If Brock decides to call it quits after this season since he’s a senior in the classroom that potentially opens up 1 more spot.

Good thread to have to stay up to date and on top of things 

Is there any chance Brock actually calls it quits?  Why would he as he has a free ride to school, or do you mean transfers out?  I hope we get another PG/SG, and a true center (Skogman doesnt seem to play back to basket and I dont know about Mballa really)

Thanks DocCas86 for putting this together!

18 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

Is there any chance Brock actually calls it quits?  Why would he as he has a free ride to school, or do you mean transfers out?  I hope we get another PG/SG, and a true center (Skogman doesnt seem to play back to basket and I dont know about Mballa really)

Thanks DocCas86 for putting this together!

Based off watching them at practice, Skogman plays a mix of back to basket and stretch big, Mballa does the same. I meant it as Brock will be graduating after this year. There have been many identical cases where a player with remaining playing eligibility graduates and decides to move on with their life. I see it as a possibility given the very limited role he has had up to this point at UB.

2 hours ago, 961819 said:

...also had no idea Tyson Acuff was so highly regarded...

Officially we had 3 scholarship spots to fill, 2 once Chanse signs. If Brock decides to call it quits after this season since he’s a senior...

First, thank you for pointing out that we may have a total of four scholarships available.  I had forgotten that Brock RS his freshman year.  

As for Tyson Acuff, I wonder if he was originally rated higher.  247 shows some big programs looked at him but no offers currently shown from these programs.  The offers he does have suggest his ranking on 247 is a bit inflated.. Offers are from Oakland, UMass, UIC, Duquesne, Toledo and Central Michigan to name a few.  This underscores importance of  UB92 request. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rma said:

Need another guard. For a “guard heavy” style we’re going to be a little short handed.

I agree.  Also thinking that a strong JUCO one, at that, might be ideal to compliment a team that will have Graves and Nickelberry as seniors, Williams, Segu and Mballa as juniors.  Sorry getting too far ahead... should focus on this year's edition, but looking at the potential... pretty exciting.

I have added the top offers by player per verbalcommits.com. My review of the each recruit based on teams that have offered scholarship, our top recruits left appear to be:

Josiah Freeman, Paul Smith, Kobe Elvis, and K.J. Pruitt

1661426557_2020Recuits.JPG.cc6e17c1662d3517ef6c8b22f1b10ebb.JPG          

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am relative newcomer to recruiting calendar.  I gather this time of year is typically quiet.  I did see that jucorecruiting.com has their top 100.

https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2020-junior-college-basketball-player-rankings-top-100

The top big men on their list who do not already have a commitment are:

#6 Tyron McMillian - Kilgore College (RS-Fr / 6'10" / 230 lb PF) - He has offers from St. John's, LSU and Arizona St.  Through 11 games with Kilgore this year he has following per game stats: 10.5 points / 4.9 rebounds / 1.4 assists / 0.8 blocks.  His rebounding / block totals seem a little low for such a big guy.  Not really a 3pt guy.

#16 DeAndre Pinckney - Broward College (So / 6'8" / 220 lb PF) - He has offers from a lot of teams.  Through 8 games with Broward this year he has following per game stats: 18.8 points / 9.6 rebounds / 1.3 assists / 1.9 blocks.  His rebounding / block totals seem better and has shot some 3's - shooting 5-10 on the season (a little better than 1 three try per game)

#24 JD Muila - Indian Hills CC (So / 6'8" / ? lb  F) - One source I looked did not show any offers.  Through 13 games with Indian Hills CC this year he has following per game stats: 7.6 points / 7.9 rebounds / 1.3 assists / 0.6 blocks.  His rebounding seem ok.  He does not shoot 3's

On paper, De'Andre Pinckney intrigues me... was curious if anyone has more information on any of these three and any chance we may make offers to these individuals.

I also wanted to point out that Kedrian Johnson and Vince Cole, who we offered but lost out to another team are #4 / #5 on the list.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I am relative newcomer to recruiting calendar.  I gather this time of year is typically quiet.  I did see that jucorecruiting.com has their top 100.

https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2020-junior-college-basketball-player-rankings-top-100

The top big men on their list who do not already have a commitment are:

#6 Tyron McMillian - Kilgore College (RS-Fr / 6'10" / 230 lb PF) - He has offers from St. John's, LSU and Arizona St.  Through 11 games with Kilgore this year he has following per game stats: 10.5 points / 4.9 rebounds / 1.4 assists / 0.8 blocks.  His rebounding / block totals seem a little low for such a big guy.  Not really a 3pt guy.

#16 DeAndre Pinckney - Broward College (So / 6'8" / 220 lb PF) - He has offers from a lot of teams.  Through 8 games with Broward this year he has following per game stats: 18.8 points / 9.6 rebounds / 1.3 assists / 1.9 blocks.  His rebounding / block totals seem better and has shot some 3's - shooting 5-10 on the season (a little better than 1 three try per game)

#24 JD Muila - Indian Hills CC (So / 6'8" / ? lb  F) - One source I looked did not show any offers.  Through 13 games with Indian Hills CC this year he has following per game stats: 7.6 points / 7.9 rebounds / 1.3 assists / 0.6 blocks.  His rebounding seem ok.  He does not shoot 3's

On paper, De'Andre Pinckney intrigues me... was curious if anyone has more information on any of these three and any chance we may make offers to these individuals.

I also wanted to point out that Kedrian Johnson and Vince Cole, who we offered but lost out to another team are #4 / #5 on the list.

No clue, not sure if ANY recruiting is being done with Jenkins being gone

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

No clue, not sure if ANY recruiting is being done with Jenkins being gone

Then shame on us. Recruiting isn’t a one man job. I’ve read countless tweets about coaches doing visits while having a game during the week. Read one tweet the other day that DePaul’s coach went out on the trail the day after they lost to us. Recruiting has become a 24/7/365 job.

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we're not recruiting at the moment it's not a huge deal imo. We have 12 of 13 scholarships for next year accounted for at the moment. Everybody just had ~20% more work put on their plate in the middle of the season. The video coordinator is sitting on the bench at games which I don't recall seeing done in the past. The DOBO was doing the scout for the next game in Charleston which is not really in his current job description. I wouldn't mind if we sat on the scholarship and waited to see which big men are transferring in the spring, that (or something similar) may have been the plan all along

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

If we're not recruiting at the moment it's not a huge deal imo. We have 12 of 13 scholarships for next year accounted for at the moment. Everybody just had ~20% more work put on their plate in the middle of the season. The video coordinator is sitting on the bench at games which I don't recall seeing done in the past. The DOBO was doing the scout for the next game in Charleston which is not really in his current job description. I wouldn't mind if we sat on the scholarship and waited to see which big men are transferring in the spring, that (or something similar) may have been the plan all along

I get your point about a lot on their plates.  The transfer portal was kind to us last year and it is certainly an option.  I do hope though, if they thought there was someone worth going after (either JUCO or high school senior) that they found a way to make it happen.   

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Then shame on us. Recruiting isn’t a one man job. I’ve read countless tweets about coaches doing visits while having a game during the week. Read one tweet the other day that DePaul’s coach went out on the trail the day after they lost to us. Recruiting has become a 24/7/365 job.

That’s one of the reasons that coaches are paid the salaries that dwarf the salaries of the PHDs.

55 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Then we are falling behind on recruiting for future seasons. We are a name brand right now and have to take advantage of that in recruiting. This isn’t at this point about next season. It’s about the season after. And the season after that. 

Even if we aren’t recruiting right now due to only having one more spot to fill, we’re missing out on extremely valuable time that could be spent recruiting higher level recruits in the 2021 and ‘22 classes. Case in point, Harris picked us because we got in early on him. Players in ‘21 & ‘22 with real skill can already be slipping away sadly 

• Like 1