Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2020 Recruiting Speculation

DocCas86

41 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Even if we aren’t recruiting right now due to only having one more spot to fill, we’re missing out on extremely valuable time that could be spent recruiting higher level recruits in the 2021 and ‘22 classes. Case in point, Harris picked us because we got in early on him. Players in ‘21 & ‘22 with real skill can already be slipping away sadly 

I find it hard to believe that no one is recruiting for us now? Did we ever find out exactly why he left to begin with? 

• 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I haven’t hear much from the 2020 kids, most recruitment news is all about transfers

With how many are in the transfer portal this year that makes sense. A LOT of talented incoming freshmen are going to be passed over for transfers so I’m expecting an influx of talented JUCO players the next two recruiting classes 

4 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Everyone on here gets caught up in the fancy shiny ranking players have. Stars don’t mean anything 

Old time board members are still used to no stars, and the results they brought.  Agree, stars don’t tell the full story, but they can still be fun. 

My take is this...as someone pointed out..he is a freshman...numbers not dissimilar to Jenathan..so I don't write him off for that..However..I wonder if he is willing to put in the work.  Based on my familiarity with Oats, if player was willing to do the work to get where he needs to,  Oats would be supporting him and he would stay put.

26 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

My take is this...as someone pointed out..he is a freshman...numbers not dissimilar to Jenathan..so I don't write him off for that..However..I wonder if he is willing to put in the work.  Based on my familiarity with Oats, if player was willing to do the work to get where he needs to,  Oats would be supporting him and he would stay put.

While I don’t disagree I will just say this. He got some playing time. And Oats didn’t give Williams and Segu more than 10 minutes a game as freshman. So that was on par. He also wasn't recruited by Oats. He was an Avery Johnson recruit. And last season for Bama there were other players who that offense ran through. A few of them will get drafted. And so far in recruiting this off season Oats is bringing in higher touted players. So maybe he just realizes he can play more elsewhere.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

While I don’t disagree I will just say this. He got some playing time. And Oats didn’t give Williams and Segu more than 10 minutes a game as freshman. So that was on par. He also wasn't recruited by Oats. He was an Avery Johnson recruit. And last season for Bama there were other players who that offense ran through. A few of them will get drafted. And so far in recruiting this off season Oats is bringing in higher touted players. So maybe he just realizes he can play more elsewhere.

Fair point.  Here is what Oats said publicly

• Thanks 1

I looked at Bama fan board and there were some expectation that Jaylen had potential to contribute.  Also found this article explaining roster situation pointing to a numbers issue contributing to Jaylen's decision to transfer.

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Breaking-down-Alabama-basketball-roster-amid-recruiting-frenzy-145925456/

Food for thought..

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

I looked at Bama fan board and there were some expectation that Jaylen had potential to contribute.  Also found this article explaining roster situation pointing to a numbers issue contributing to Jaylen's decision to transfer.

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Breaking-down-Alabama-basketball-roster-amid-recruiting-frenzy-145925456/

Food for thought..

Good article. Kinda implies Oats went to certain players (Forbes) and was like you gotta transfer. You’re facing a diminishing role and we have better players coming in. Kinda messed up. No loyalty to players but this is the bed the NCAA has made with recruiting and free agency, oh I mean transferring. Also sounds like Oats is still adjusting to the constant roster turnover of power conference basketball.