Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

QB and Punter

UB92

With UB’s running attack, they need a game manager at QB.  They can’t afford QB fumbles and pick6 throws since their offensive isn’t explosive. 

Since Myers seems rattled and really isn’t quick/shifty enough to escape the pocket or run, I am wondering if Lance gives Vantrease a shot next week.   I know the receivers are a weakness and dropped some throws, but that will happen regardless of who the QB is.  With the season still in doubt, maybe Vantrease gets an opportunity to manage a game.

Also...we need our punter to not to be our QB2 or QB1.  A walk on?   One of the two PK?  Someone other than our QB.  It really can put us in a very bad situation.   That we still have Vantrease as the punter AND a viable option in a game like today is inexcusable.  

In between getting hit after throwing and misfires, Myers threw a few balls downfield that were spot on.  if we had some skilled receivers they would have been caught.  I have no idea if Vantrease is much better but as you said he seems like a game manager.  However, against Temple, Myers managed the game pretty well.

don’t really get how our QB was crushed several times after releasing the ball and there weren't any roughing the passer calls.  One in particular looked like the helmet crown hitting Myers’ face mask. UB breathes on their QB and gets hit with roughing. 

By the way, I really like the fact that a player can RS if he plays in, at most, four games.  For a transitional year like this, I wonder if the UB coaching staff may use that to get a look at some of the other QBs on the roster.    

The reality is that this should have been Vantrease's job to lose...and he lost it.  Worse was the fact that they didn't see enough in Johnson's development to keep him at QB.  Maybe the coaching staff hoped Myers would hit the ground running.  And he does throw a nice pass when he has time in the pocket, but (so far) the games has been too fast for him.  But, of course, he is a Freshman.

If Myers, for example, is not on the depth chart this week (he sat out practice on Monday), who would be #2?  Bycznski?

At any rate, we will see what happens this week.  I do hope that UB doesn't fall too far behind against Ohio because then it will be really, really rough for our QBs to develop if they are under pressure the entire game (throwing to a developing receiving corp).   Need to run the ball, get the lead and try to force some turnovers.

Go Bulls.