Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Josiah Freeman (2020 SG)

BasketBull

4 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Freeman leaving would not be a shocking development or the end of the world for UB. If Robinson leaves and players enter the transfer protocol then it will be time to take a step back and re-evaluate the program and staff 

Just not sure why that reevaluation shouldn't be going on now.

On 2/25/2020 at 3:32 PM, Kevin said:

Something to monitor for sure. 

These kids live off of emotion(s). So i wonder if something happened that made him leave his HS and threaten his UB offer? 

I do know he was a Jenkins guy too

This is why we talked about it on here. Ended up being something to it, as expected. 

SIGNED LOI are worth NOTHING. Almost shouldn't make them sign anything until the first day on campus. 

Edited by Kevin

I would hope an evaluation or re evaluation is an ongoing process. Firing though is not an option now. But I dare say for the program to get anywhere near the level it was the last five years this is a hugely important off season for recruiting and player development. Two down years where we aren’t a factor in the MAC will hit our recruiting in a big way. 

6 minutes ago, UB05 said:

If you fire every first year coach after a 20 win season there won’t be any coaches left for you to hire. 

Edited by UB85

I always wonder if recruits and players check this board and see all the negativity. I'm sure they check twitter and see it there. If I was a recruit and read that Whitesell thread I know I would second guess my decision.

Edited by SGBull
Spelling error
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SGBull said:

I always wonder if recruits and players check this board and see all the negativity. I'm sure they check twitter and see it there. If I was a recruit and read that Whitesell thread I know I would second guess my decision.

So now this message board is under question for making a commit leave?

Terrible take.

How would this guy survive at a P5 college with a real large message board?

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

This is why we talked about it on here. Ended up being something to it, as expected. 

SIGNED LOI are worth NOTHING. Almost shouldn't make them sign anything until the first day on campus. 

Or hold them to their commitment and take a year of eligibility 

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

So now this message board is under question for making a commit leave?

Terrible take.

How would this guy survive at a P5 college with a real large message board?

I just said I wonder if recruits check the board. Calm down.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SGBull said:

We were 20-12 this season. You guys are acting like we went 12-20.

What does 20 wins get you?

I know we weren’t going to replicate last year. But if you were excited to join the team you watched last season, would this season have you feeling the same way (after being fairly dominant in HS)?

39 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I know we weren’t going to replicate last year. But if you were excited to join the team you watched last season, would this season have you feeling the same way (after being fairly dominant in HS)?

So his leaving Paul VI is not relevant?   I feel that they are interconnected. Time will tell, we will see where he ends up.

What if he’s got someone in his ear telling him you can do better than UB. When you signed initially you were ranked whatever but now you’ve grown and will be ranked higher and if you get released you can land at better school. Could be as simple as that. Or personal issues at home. Sucks he won’t put the UB uniform on but oh well. On to the next. We kinda sensed something was coming. As long as our nucleus stays in place and Robinson stays committed we can recover from this. 

2 hours ago, Jeseph said:

We won 20 games (and couldn't make the top 8), calm down. Recruits check the message board and decommit when reading the Whitesell thread

3 hours ago, Jeseph said:

I agree that this season wouldn't have you feeling the same way as last season obviously, but no one knows why he decommitted. He left a better high school team to go to a worse one, so clearly winning isn't the cause of him transferring. You are assuming that we didn't win enough and that is why he decommitted. 

What do you mean what does 20 wins get you? This was a better record than Oats first 2 years, and actually reminds me of his second year team who went 17-15. That year we had Massinburg and Perkins as Sophomores who began to become main contributors on the team, just like Williams, Mballa, and Segu did this year. 

I genuinely want to know what was the benchmark for you to be happy with this season. Was it a certain amount of wins? A conference championship? Or just what you saw/didn't see in the coach?

I have said since the beginning that I will try to refrain from putting too much blame on Whitesell until this time next year, if we do not progress then I will agree with many of your criticisms. 

Edited by SGBull

1 hour ago, SGBull said:

I genuinely want to know what was the benchmark for you to be happy with this season. Was it a certain amount of wins? A conference championship? Or just what you saw/didn't see in the coach?

I have said since the beginning that I will try to refrain from putting too much blame on Whitesell until this time next year, if we do not progress then I will agree with many of your criticisms. 

It wasn’t a specific win/loss benchmark overall. It was NOT 7 home losses (7 of those in favored matchups). It was NOT missing Cleveland for the first time in since 2003. It was NOT being out played by Dartmouth and Army (again, both at home). It was NOT the lack of energy, focus and defense that we saw this year. It was NOT the lack of improvement in just about every facet of the game that the team struggled with to start the year. It was NOT the change in general energy and swagger surrounding the program with Hurley and Oats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

It wasn’t a specific win/loss benchmark overall. It was NOT 7 home losses (7 of those in favored matchups). It was NOT missing Cleveland for the first time in since 2003. It was NOT being out played by Dartmouth and Army (again, both at home). It was NOT the lack of energy, focus and defense that we saw this year. It was NOT the lack of improvement in just about every facet of the game that the team struggled with to start the year. It was NOT the change in general energy and swagger surrounding the program with Hurley and Oats.

Damn. All 100% on point. Add in the Jenkins snafu in what clearly seems like a case of blown due diligence.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Okay, all fair points. Let’s hope Whitesell can figure it out next year and our key pieces come back with a vengeance.

15 hours ago, Jeseph said:

I didn't even realize it until you made this point. If they won even 5 of the 7 games they were favored at home, they go 25-6 and based on reputation, maybe sneak in the top 25 again.

28 minutes ago, ntsfinest said:

I didn't even realize it until you made this point. If they won even 5 of the 7 games they were favored at home, they go 25-6 and based on reputation, maybe sneak in the top 25 again.

Correct.

If they would have won 2 of the 7 home losses(Akron + NIU/BG/KENT) they would have been the 1 seed, NIT bid, and no Miami. 

winning 2 of 7 and going 12-5 at home is NOT much to ask for. They went two years without losing. In fact 12-5 is an average MAC home record.

In fact UB was better on road/neutral floor than they were in their own college gym. Astonishing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

12-5 home record in the MAC?  In a recruiting thread?   When a 20 win season doesn’t matter?

Crazy. I’d rather lose to army once than beat a non D1 four times. There’s your MAC...

That's weird. Why? I'd rather not lose at home to one of the worst ranked teams in the country.

They were also 6-5 at home during MAC play. That's the main home number I care about.

Also, we have discussed ad nauseam (below) what the fair exceptions were and this got derailed because apparently this said recruit was busy looking at the criticism of sleepy Jim in the other thread.

On 3/14/2020 at 7:01 PM, Jeseph said:

Edited by Kevin