Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Is Leipold on the P5 coaching radar?

promotherobot

6 minutes ago, ChicagoBull said:

That's what I meant by him keeping it quiet.  However, even coaches who want to stay often have agents who put their names out there in order to get a better deal where they are already at.  It all just seems strangely quiet.  Perhaps, and hopefully, it is simply that he wants to stay and doesn't want to make a fuss about it.  

He also might be looking long term and building his resume until a GOOD job opens up. You can look back at Turner Gill for lessons on what not to do, jumping at the first big program who offers regardless of how little the chances of success are

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, UB05 said:

He also might be looking long term and building his resume until a GOOD job opens up. You can look back at Turner Gill for lessons on what not to do, jumping at the first big program who offers regardless of how little the chances of success are

TG got paid though. And then he got paid to leave. If your goal is to coach a blue blood program to a championship, you might wait. If you’re trying to make money...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rma said:

TG got paid though. And then he got paid to leave. If your goal is to coach a blue blood program to a championship, you might wait. If you’re trying to make money...

Sure he got paid, and while money is a major factor I like to believe coaches want to coach and coaches want to win. I’d  also argue that he could’ve waited a couple more years and landed a much more secure job than Kansas.

If Leipold wanted he might be able to jump to a Boston college type gig.... or he can keep building UB into a perennial winner and get into a much better program. Everyone thought we would take a huge step back this year between graduations and transfers. Instead we had arguably our best season in history thanks to the foundation he’s built. A couple more years and he’ll have his pick of good schools 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 10:22 AM, UB05 said:

Sure he got paid, and while money is a major factor I like to believe coaches want to coach and coaches want to win. I’d  also argue that he could’ve waited a couple more years and landed a much more secure job than Kansas.

If Leipold wanted he might be able to jump to a Boston college type gig.... or he can keep building UB into a perennial winner and get into a much better program. Everyone thought we would take a huge step back this year between graduations and transfers. Instead we had arguably our best season in history thanks to the foundation he’s built. A couple more years and he’ll have his pick of good schools 

Liepold did all of this despite still having that same OC!!

I kid (somewhat...), but we all know LL's faults.  Everyone has strengths and faults.  You have to know how to play to your strengths and avoid your faults.  

I suspect that he doesn't want to go the "jump to low-level P5 program" at the first opportunity.  If he keeps winning consistently at UB, a good fit will find him.

I wonder if TG ever wishes he stayed at UB for longer.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, rma said:

Michigan State will likely be looking for somebody more experienced in D1, but they have opened up. Geography fits.

Not an attractive job.  There is still fallout from Larry Nassar that teh school is dealing with.  Also there are Title IX issues with both football and basketball covering up exual assaults by players.  The fact that Dantonio "resigned" just after qualifying for a $4,300,000.00 retention bonus, makes me believe that was his severance package and he was asked to leave by the  school.

Look possibly for Izzo to be gone after this season as well.

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Not an attractive job.

I said that about Oats at Bama too

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

The fact that Dantonio "resigned" just after qualifying for a $4,300,000.00 retention bonus, makes me believe that was his severance package and he was asked to leave

Yeah I’m real sure they wanted him to “resign” right before NSD and screw over this recruiting class

If Luke Fickell leaves Cincy for Michigan State, then is LL a good fit in Cincinnati?

I think yes.

I'm not saying he gets the offer if it is there or takes the job, I just think it's another step up the ranks in an area of the country where he has professional and recruiting contacts.

2 minutes ago, UB77 said:

If Luke Fickell leaves Cincy for Michigan State, then is LL a good fit in Cincinnati?

I think yes.

I'm not saying he gets the offer if it is there or takes the job, I just think it's another step up the ranks in an area of the country where he has professional and recruiting contacts.

Completely agree. He could also finally beat Miami at Miami. 

• 4 weeks later...