Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Is Leipold on the P5 coaching radar?

promotherobot

1 hour ago, clodney said:

I'd have no problem if someone took this D3 squad away from us. I was done with them the day they lost to Albany. They'd need a national championship for me to forget that debacle.

I am ambivalent about this.  He has gotten the team to two straight bowl games, including a 10-win season last year.  Those are nice calling cards.   On the other hand, Albany...and Kent State...and the host of other consistent issues.

My son and I spoke about this last night.   We currently don't see a good fit for LL at any of the open positions.  Those SEC jobs tend to go to high profile coordinators and/or the "hot name" G5 coach.  If Fleck ever left Minnesota, I could see LL being in consideration for that.

49 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I am ambivalent about this.  He has gotten the team to two straight bowl games, including a 10-win season last year.  Those are nice calling cards.   On the other hand, Albany...and Kent State...and the host of other consistent issues.

My son and I spoke about this last night.   We currently don't see a good fit for LL at any of the open positions.  Those SEC jobs tend to go to high profile coordinators and/or the "hot name" G5 coach.  If Fleck ever left Minnesota, I could see LL being in consideration for that.

Albany, Kent State, and NIU in the MAC Championship. Those are three blots on his resume. He would need to achieve a bit more here before he becomes an attractive P5 candidate. But what do I know, really?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rma said:

Fleck to Ole Miss, Leipold to Minnesota? Though he’d be giving up his Wisconsin card the second the plane touches down at MSP.

Is Mississippi a better job than Minnesota at this point?   Bielema comes to mind...leaving a successful stint at Wisconsin for the lure of Ole Miss and the SEC (and a little more green...for him and his coaches).   But that didn't work out.    And Fleck got a nice boost to his salary earlier this fall.

If I am thinking of an Ole Miss coach, point me in the direction of the hot G5 coach (the guy at Memphis), the coach for a less visible P5 squad or an SEC coordinator.   And while Fleck hits the second mark, I don't see his shtick playing in The Grove.  But I could be wrong.  The lure and attraction of the SEC is strong...and there is definitely an SEC bias (ask Dabo for his opinion on that).

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

Is Mississippi a better job than Minnesota at this point?   Bielema comes to mind...leaving a successful stint at Wisconsin for the lure of Ole Miss and the SEC (and a little more green...for him and his coaches).   But that didn't work out.    And Fleck got a nice boost to his salary earlier this fall.

If I am thinking of an Ole Miss coach, point me in the direction of the hot G5 coach (the guy at Memphis), the coach for a less visible P5 squad or an SEC coordinator.   And while Fleck hits the second mark, I don't see his shtick playing in The Grove.  But I could be wrong.  The lure and attraction of the SEC is strong...and there is definitely an SEC bias (ask Dabo for his opinion on that).

Bielema left Wisconsin for Arkansas (and not necessary because the SEC is better, but because his seat was getting pretty hot in Madison).  

Well.....I was going to let this lie...because this nice recognition for Lance, and it is, make no mistake about it...However, this was based almost entirely on his time and accomplishments at Whitewater than UB...

BUT...now Ive received an email this morning from the Blue and White fund, referring to this list, panhandling for donations....$78 donation gets you entered into a contest to have lunch with Lance at Santora's...so it begs the question, are we trying to inflate his UB accomplishments more than what they actually are and at the same time open the door for Lance to conceivably ask for a "new" contract.

I like Lance, he's been good for UB, but I also think theres a  lot of room for his own improvement.  I just dont want to get lost in looking at what he's accomplished so far and rewarding things that 1. didnt even happen here or 2. as I said, rewarding for inflated accomplishments because of "how it used to be" at UB....

Lance has gotten UB three straight Bowl eligible seasons and a MAC East title....great....you know who else has made a living getting teams bowl eligible year in year out, and MAC Easts with out ever getting beyond that...Frank Solich....Go find him on this list....(hint: he isnt)

Edited by BRJACR75
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't most of the contract negotiations take place prior to the early signing day in order to show recruits that the school is serious about keeping the head coach?  Didn't seem to be the case with Lance.  Perhaps it will happen in advance of the late signing day, especially if his name pops up in a few job searches.  His agent isn't doing his job if his name doesn't start showing up after finishing the season on such a run.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 12:45 PM, rma said:

Fleck to Ole Miss, Leipold to Minnesota? Though he’d be giving up his Wisconsin card the second the plane touches down at MSP.

Flecks not bailing on MN for Ole Miss, he just sighed a hgue contract up here. Ole Miss might be able to bump him a little bit but not by enough to warrant the move. 

8 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Or may be he wants to stay.

That's what I meant by him keeping it quiet.  However, even coaches who want to stay often have agents who put their names out there in order to get a better deal where they are already at.  It all just seems strangely quiet.  Perhaps, and hopefully, it is simply that he wants to stay and doesn't want to make a fuss about it.  

1 hour ago, Bull_In_Exile said:

Flecks not bailing on MN for Ole Miss, he just sighed a hgue contract up here. Ole Miss might be able to bump him a little bit but not by enough to warrant the move. 

Maybe we can revisit this topic when Freshwater gets tarmaced in a few years. 😉