Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Eligibility Update?

2 hours ago, JoeyRattlesnake said:

Where do we stand? Hardnett got his waiver.  Any news on Mballa?

any others out there still pending?

Believe we are just waiting on Mballa.  Here are last two bits of information I saw.   The latest mention is the Buffalo News article on Oct 15th stating still waiting to hear.  The Kevin Massare tweet (Oct 10th) suggests that Texas Tech is holding things up.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/15/ub-mens-basketball-davonta-jordan-jim-whitesell-jayvon-graves-antwain-johnson-gabe-grant/

https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinMassare/status/1182457116512210944

Edited by DocCas86
Correct typos
  • Thanks 1

Bit of a strange quote from that Buffalo News article: 

There’s always a challenge in working with players who are new to a program. Jordan said having patience is key. Jordan is one of five seniors on UB’s roster, but the only one who played last season. The other four seniors redshirted after transferring.”

the only seniors I’m aware of are Jordan, Johnson, Grant and Davis (walk-on). I guess you could count Bertram since he red-shirted if you’re talking academically he’s a senior, but either way I’m counting only 2 seniors red-shirting after transferring. Did Buffalo News just flub that bit or am I missing something and we have more players graduating than I thought? 

Edited by BasketBull
Typo

9 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

But if a strange quote from that Buffalo News article: 

There’s always a challenge in working with players who are new to a program. Jordan said having patience is key. Jordan is one of five seniors on UB’s roster, but the only one who played last season. The other four seniors redshirted after transferring.”

the only seniors I’m aware of are Jordan, Johnson, Grant and Davis (walk-on). I guess you could count Bertram since he red-shirted if you’re talking academically he’s a senior, but either way I’m counting only 2 seniors red-shirting after transferring. Did Buffalo News just flub that bit of am I missing something and we have more players graduating than I thought? 

Per roster on ubbulls.com, the last senior would be Patrick Moore.  As I understand it Davis and Moore are walk-ons. There are 3 (possibly 4 depending on Bertram-one more year of eligibility) scholarships available next year.  

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1

Not an update on Mballa directly but per Jeff Goodman 90% of waivers thus far have been approved. Maybe these are the clear cut cases but it's encouraging. It's also absurd that we're two weeks out from the start of the regular season and the NCAA has only made decisions on 35% of waivers.

1 minute ago, Gxtrex said:

Huge news for us. Any projections on the starting 5?

Jordan

Johnson

Graves

Williams

Mballa 

The Williams and Mballa positions can be mixed and matched depending on the other team and how they match up. The top 3 are pretty much locks. Segu will play a significant role as well

(throw Hardnett in there when he comes back from his injury) 

Edited by 961819

22 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Jordan

Johnson

Graves

Williams

Mballa 

The Williams and Mballa positions can be mixed and matched depending on the other team and how they match up. The top 3 are pretty much locks. Segu will play a significant role as well

(throw Hardnett in there when he comes back from his injury) 

Looks about right, curious to see where Williams and Segu are at for their sophomore seasons and how they have developed. Also can’t wait to watch David Nickelberry ball. 

• Like 1

Just now, mikescherrer8 said:

Looks about right, curious to see where Williams and Segu are at for their sophomore seasons and how they have developed. Also can’t wait to watch David Nickelberry ball. 

This may sound like a reach but this years team actually has more depth than last years team in the sense that the team has so much playable talent that they can realistically afford to switch the starting 5 every game to best matchup against the other team. A lot more length than last year, but the scoring will be more even spread among everyone most likely. 

As far as Segu and Williams go, they’re going to both have awesome seasons, Williams could potentially have a breakout one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

This may sound like a reach but this years team actually has more depth than last years team in the sense that the team has so much playable talent that they can realistically afford to switch the starting 5 every game to best matchup against the other team. A lot more length than last year, but the scoring will be more even spread among everyone most likely. 

As far as Segu and Williams go, they’re going to both have awesome seasons, Williams could potentially have a breakout one.

I could not agree more.  This team does have more depth and length than last year's team.  We have so many long athletic wings and bigs that can all be interchanged and put in positions to create a mismatch.  My guess is that the lineup will fluctuate depending on the matchup and how we can exploit the opponent.  Once all the players are healthy, I think the lineup will look as follows:

Jordan

Graves

Nickelberry

Hardnett

Mballa

The addition of Mballa to this group is HUGE.  His defense, rim protection and ability to run the floor is really the only piece missing on this team.  In my eyes, we are now the favorite to win the conference and this team will grow stronger and stronger as the season goes on.  The future is bright for the Buffalo Bulls!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MaineBull said:

I could not agree more.  This team does have more depth and length than last year's team.  We have so many long athletic wings and bigs that can all be interchanged and put in positions to create a mismatch.  My guess is that the lineup will fluctuate depending on the matchup and how we can exploit the opponent.  Once all the players are healthy, I think the lineup will look as follows:

Jordan

Graves

Nickelberry

Hardnett

Mballa

The addition of Mballa to this group is HUGE.  His defense, rim protection and ability to run the floor is really the only piece missing on this team.  In my eyes, we are now the favorite to win the conference and this team will grow stronger and stronger as the season goes on.  The future is bright for the Buffalo Bulls!

Agree with all of that especially Mballa and what he brings. His game reminds me a lot of Javon McCrea only more athletic. Nickelberry is still adjusting and may not find his way into the starting lineup until mid season, the ability is there, it’s just a matter of mentally getting used to the fast pace of play

27 minutes ago, MaineBull said:

Its pretty exciting to think that Buffalo will roll out players that have transferred from Memphis, Cincinnati and Texas Tech along with Graves and Jordan this season.  Amazing how far this program has come.  Go Bulls!

Gabe Grant from Houston off the bench too

Edited by trueblue32

Crazy to think how deep this roster is now. The lineup possibilities are endless! I think our defense is going to be incredible this year. The length, strength, switchablity, Jordan taking charges. I don’t know how any other MAC team can keep up for a full game. We’re young for sure, but UB has been recruiting on a whole different level the last few years. So pumped for this year! That said I think the starters will be 

Jordan

Graves

Johnson

Williams

Hardnett

*Mballa the new Perkins off the bench

Crazy to see the disparity on predicted starting fives. A true testament to how deep this team is.

I see Whitesell going senior heavy to start with the younger guys being given more minutes as the season progresses.  My guess:

Jordan

Graves

Johnson

Grant

Bertram

I’d guess Nickleberry first off the bench with Williams/Mballa/Hardnett next up depending on who needs to rest. Once Hardnett/Mballa looks comfortable at the 5 I’d bet one will move into the starting five.