Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

10/24 UB vs Daemen Exhibition

Kevin

9 hours ago, ubfan75 said:

I'm curious though...who does Brock practice against, someone with his size and with talent approaching Daemen's big man, that would help in his development? 

The whole team practices together, so he along with everyone else goes against everyone including Mballa, Hardnett, Skogman etc 

23 minutes ago, weareub46 said:

Not being able to see the game I appreciate all the feedback. They didn’t do the banner lifting since it was an exhibition right? Can’t wait to see our updated banners... UB basketball is building a CULTURE 

FYI.  If you have time and interest you can still watch the game from Facebook feed found in streaming thread.   

I watched the first half yesterday as I missed it live.  One thing. I came away with, the interior defense looked good.  Brock made a couple of nice blocks and altered a couple of shots.  Really looking forward to  to this season.

2 hours ago, weareub46 said:

Not being able to see the game I appreciate all the feedback. They didn’t do the banner lifting since it was an exhibition right? Can’t wait to see our updated banners... UB basketball is building a CULTURE  

Correct. The banner is up but with a black banner covering it. I believe it will be unveiled at the Dartmouth game 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weareub46 said:

That reminds me, they’re running out of room for all these banners. Wonder what they’re gonna do with the next 50 banners 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 961819 said:

That reminds me, they’re running out of room for all these banners. Wonder what they’re gonna do with the next 50 banners 

When I was a freshman in 2011 there were track and field banners hung up in AA.  And a banner for our NIT appearance (who were we, Bona?)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 961819 said:

It definitely means something 

I'm inclined to agree partially with Brook, as well as you. In the end, we don't need to compare to SU, as we don't play them this year. At the same time, it tells people that our squad is full of possibilities (as many of us had thought right along). Personally, I couldn't care less how Syracuse does, and it was only a scrimmage, so who knows how SU or UB managed minutes/sets/etc, therefore the comparison is apples and oranges.

The local area is buying in to this program, including the students (finally). The fact that a scrimmage had a reasonably strong crowd is a great sign, especially on a Thursday evening. The one student section was pretty much filled up, with the opposite side being fairly crowded. The regular seats weren't full, but there were many behinds in seats. In year's past, we would have been elated for that crowd for a MAC game, but now our standards appear (rightfully so) much greater. Let's hope that everyone continues to come out to watch great basketball, including the women's team, starting this Friday!

33 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I'm inclined to agree partially with Brook, as well as you. In the end, we don't need to compare to SU, as we don't play them this year. At the same time, it tells people that our squad is full of possibilities (as many of us had thought right along). Personally, I couldn't care less how Syracuse does, and it was only a scrimmage, so who knows how SU or UB managed minutes/sets/etc, therefore the comparison is apples and oranges.

Completely agree, this team may exceed a lot of expectations of what the drop off from last year would be. The real proof will come in a couple weeks when they (hopefully) embarrass Dartmouth. I’ll take the issues on defense we saw in the Daemen scrimmage any day over problems putting up points and playing a fast tempo. Defense can be coached and fixed, especially with this coaching staff

Edited by 961819
Typos
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

The local area is buying in to this program, including the students (finally). 

I would argue student turnout has been mostly decent the past 5 years or so.  Even going back to 11-12, there were decent games (Stainbrook, Watt court storm).  My hope going forward is filled student section for each game and hopefully more than a dozen or two for WBB.

15 minutes ago, rma said:

I would argue student turnout has been mostly decent the past 5 years or so.  Even going back to 11-12, there were decent games (Stainbrook, Watt court storm).  My hope going forward is filled student section for each game and hopefully more than a dozen or two for WBB.

I agree that it has been, outside of the 6 week "winter break", where even local students disappear and you can individually count those in the student section. It has definitely been more consistent of late. Granted, the team has been superb the last many years, so it would be silly not to have student support for those teams!

Going back to the "Reggie Days", the turnout was not too great, except for a couple of games during the season when a big promotion or tv game was going on. 

11 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

FYI.  If you have time and interest you can still watch the game from Facebook feed found in streaming thread.   

I watched the first half yesterday as I missed it live.  One thing. I came away with, the interior defense looked good.  Brock made a couple of nice blocks and altered a couple of shots.  Really looking forward to  to this season.

Thank you so much I didn’t know that. Got to watch the replay. Lots of good stuff. Little bit of rust and a lot of new players that I need to learn their names. Hard to tell still but we will know more soon as competition ramps up. 
Couldn’t see the student section from the feed but they sounded pretty darn good for an exhibition game. I’m hoping it keeps growing once we get into the regular season. So freakin pumped that bball is back 

24 minutes ago, weareub46 said:

Couldn’t see the student section from the feed but they sounded pretty darn good for an exhibition game. I’m hoping it keeps growing once we get into the regular season.

They showed up, but all but the first few rows of True Blue (and the band) sit down.  I'd rather have them stand than sit, but sit rather than stay home.

6 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Another ranked win for UB 

Not to put too much stock into this, but fun comparison:

UB 111           Daemen (#22) 73

Toledo 75      Findlay (#17) 68

I did watch some of the Toledo game (Findlay actually had very good live streaming).  My opinion, UB looked much better in their exhibition.  However, I caution it is just one game.

15 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

How did Syracuse do?

Here are some fun stats to ruminate on.

Buffalo 111                              Daemen          73                                Starters played 99 minutes and scored 55 points

Syracuse 90                            Daemen          71                                Starters played 98 minutes and scored 51 points

35 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Here are some fun stats to ruminate on.

Buffalo 111                              Daemen          73                                Starters played 99 minutes and scored 55 points

Syracuse 90                            Daemen          71                                Starters played 98 minutes and scored 51 points

I don't believe Syracuse played walk-ons either while we played walk-ons for 5% of our team mins.