Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl - UB vs. Charlotte - Dec 20th 2pm ESPN

UB92

It is hard to believe it has been 8 days since the last post here about our bowl game.  Perhaps we are a little more excited because it is our first.  Regardless, safe travels and fun in the sun to any of you heading to Nassau.  I will be watching it on TV as we already had other Christmas travel scheduled to start on the 22nd.  Go Niners!  😎

10 minutes ago, Nugget49er said:

It is hard to believe it has been 8 days since the last post here about our bowl game.  Perhaps we are a little more excited because it is our first.  Regardless, safe travels and fun in the sun to any of you heading to Nassau.  I will be watching it on TV as we already had other Christmas travel scheduled to start on the 22nd.  Go Niners!  😎

You will learn.  Never schedule any travel that could interfere with a bowl game, unless it is some place good with your basketball teams.

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

You will learn.  Never schedule any travel that could interfere with a bowl game, unless it is some place good with your basketball teams.

Charlotte started off 2-5, so going to a bowl looked impossible--then we won five in a row.  You make a good point though, so I will be informing my in-laws that I need to keep my calendar open for football instead of coming to see them next year.  Thanks for the wisdom!

Edited by Nugget49er

Weather prevented us from making our connection in Miami.  No flights to the Bahamas available until Monday.  American Airlines sent us home before the trip even started. We are very, very disappointed, but glad we are not stuck in an airport somewhere. 😞

Truth be told, this was shaping up to be an expensive trip.  The hotels near the stadium are pricey and there are significant taxes and fees.  We'll have to see if they will hit us with cancellation fees. 

This strikes me as a somewhat problematic venue for a bowl game, given the costs, logistics, and hit-or-miss weather. I'd imagine it's well off the radar for most students. No Ueber there and we understand the taxi drivers enjoy ripping off tourists.  Will be interested to read experiences of others who were able to attend.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, sportscliche said:

Weather prevented us from making our connection in Miami.  No flights to the Bahamas available until Monday.  American Airlines sent us home before the trip even started. We are very, very disappointed, but glad we are not stuck in an airport somewhere. 😞

Truth be told, this was shaping up to be an expensive trip.  The hotels near the stadium are pricey and there are significant taxes and fees.  We'll have to see if they will hit us with cancellation fees. 

This strikes me as a somewhat problematic venue for a bowl game, given the costs, logistics, and hit-or-miss weather. I'd imagine it's well off the radar for most students. No Ueber there and we understand the taxi drivers enjoy ripping off tourists.  Will be interested to read experiences of others who were able to attend.

Not to mention having only two weeks to put together a trip. It's nuts. But at least the teams have a nice vacation.

Speaking of, I see that Lance blew off a practice for beach time. I hope that doesn't bite us. I don't want to see a team 7 seasons into D1 win their first bowl game while we drop to 0-4.

9 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Not to mention having only two weeks to put together a trip. It's nuts. But at least the teams have a nice vacation.

Speaking of, I see that Lance blew off a practice for beach time. I hope that doesn't bite us. I don't want to see a team 7 seasons into D1 win their first bowl game while we drop to 0-4.

From what I have heard the practice fields down there are in terrible shape and the coaching staff was worried about injuries. 

They still had their meetings and walkthroughs at the hotel but decided to allow the guys to have some more time for fun than traveling out to a terrible field for practice. 

Hi Bulls, it is game day!  Interesting comment about the practice fields, our conference mates that have played in this bowl before have also commented that they don't seem ready for prime time down there, but I think that is just the Caribbean.

I get that you are not going to care much about Charlotte, but thought I would drop this here for a bit of an quick story about the fan experience from our side.  Next year maybe we can act like we have been there before, but this year it is all new.

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/12/20/charlotte-ers-fans-flock-bahamas-first-bowl-game-football-teams-history/

For the Bulls fans that made the trip, stay safe and have fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nugget49er said:

Hi Bulls, it is game day!  Interesting comment about the practice fields, our conference mates that have played in this bowl before have also commented that they don't seem ready for prime time down there, but I think that is just the Caribbean.

I get that you are not going to care much about Charlotte, but thought I would drop this here for a bit of an quick story about the fan experience from our side.  Next year maybe we can act like we have been there before, but this year it is all new.

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/12/20/charlotte-ers-fans-flock-bahamas-first-bowl-game-football-teams-history/

For the Bulls fans that made the trip, stay safe and have fun.

Nice to see the Charlotte fans making the most of it.  Bowls are really special.  This one has plenty of points of interest:  first bowl win for one team, fierce wind, Patterson on an amazing run of rushing TD's.  

20 hours ago, sportscliche said:

Really bummed for people who made it to Miami but not to the game.  I hope they somehow were able to make it.  

1 minute ago, xDerekRx said:

Fantastic win for the Bulls. We totally dominated from start to finish.

Couldnt ask for a better way to win our first bowl game. One of the final things to check off the list for the program.

Quietly really enjoyed this season overall.

Congrats to the entire team. Just a dominating game on both sides of the ball. The offensive line was tremendous again and Patterson with his great runs leaving players grasping at air. Another case of a player like Patterson not getting the hype from national media because of being a mid major. Hope this team can now build off this success. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 2

I've been critical of Leipold (and may continue to) at times, so it's only fair to give him credit when credit is due.  After all the offseason turnover on offense, they did a great job of building this team around what it could do best.  The defense was improved this year, they got a good line going, weathered having to go to the backup QB and were able to run the ball consistently.  I really want to look at this season as glass-half-full. 

41 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

I've been critical of Leipold (and may continue to) at times, so it's only fair to give him credit when credit is due.  After all the offseason turnover on offense, they did a great job of building this team around what it could do best.  The defense was improved this year, they got a good line going, weathered having to go to the backup QB and were able to run the ball consistently.  I really want to look at this season as glass-half-full. 

Yeah.  I know.    I am critical, but LL is doing something right to get to back-to-back bowl games and to win their first.  

Kudos to him and his staff.  

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

I forgot to Praise Vantrese. He was so spot on today. His best game.

I really loved two of Vantrease's plays in addition to the obvious nice TD to start the game:

1) Taking on the LB at the goal line.  That guy will remember #7.  

2) Holding his passing posture on the fake that sprung Patterson for the big gain.  That was a beautifully executed play by just about everyone on the offense, but the key was freezing the defense with the fake pass.