Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

Alabama men’s basketball plays tonight against Penn at 8 p.m.

I was honestly curious to see if people here are going to spend time watching them play or follow them at all through the course of this season.

Personally, I’m still semi-bitter about him leaving, but there’s a part of me that wishes him the best and can’t blame him for doing what’s best for himself and family.

Edited by mikescherrer8
Spelling error

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

They play Penn tonight as 7.5 point home favorites. Being honest in my heart of hearts, I'm rooting against them this year. Or at least for them to do worse than us.

I would love to meet them in the NCAA tournament and take it to them.

Rooting against. Not because I blame him for leaving - I just really thought he'd go to a bigger program that actually cared about basketball. I'm not saying Bama hasn't had success in the past, it's just that no matter how many games he wins he will always be secondary to football.

A game they could have pulled out.  What I saw of this game - Bama has talented players, but they did not appear to be playing as a team at times.  Didn't see them making that extra pass to get the higher percentage shot - think that shows in their shooting percentage for the game - 35.5% for the game.

• Like 1

I watched most of this game...Alabama’s interior defense was none existent. Everyone will remember the missed FTs but this was not a performance you’re use to seeing from a Nate Oats coached team. Nothing blue collar about it. Their offense was a lot of chucking up shots. They are a work in progress but with the way life in the SEC is...positive results will be required asap.

7 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

A game they could have pulled out.  What I saw of this game - Bama has talented players, but they did not appear to be playing as a team at times.  Didn't see them making that extra pass to get the higher percentage shot - think that shows in their shooting percentage for the game - 35.5% for the game.

I saw the same. A lot of hero ball. 10 assists on 27 made baskets to go with 15 turnovers isn’t going to make Oats happy.

and not being able to rely on your All-American candidate to close out the game at the FT line at home must sting.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I watched most of this game...Alabama’s interior defense was none existent. Everyone will remember the missed FTs but this was not a performance you’re use to seeing from a Nate Oats coached team. Nothing blue collar about it. Their offense was a lot of chucking up shots. They are a work in progress but with the way life in the SEC is...positive results will be required asap.

Blue collar mentality was gone once he crossed state lines.

There is a lot to unpack from this Alabama - Penn game, though I don't really know how much I want to go into depth on a coach who is no longer part of the team.  But...there is this current thread and a bunch of posts already, so I guess there is still interest.

Oats said, “Obviously we would have liked to have gotten the win, but I think the guys played hard.  We’re not supposed to be playing our best now.  The attitude is good in the locker room.”

---

I don't remember Oats ever using those type of words...maybe I am mistaken, though.   I am sure those comments are purposeful.

-- He is selling his guys played hard, which means that previous criticisms of the team were that they didn't play hard all the time.

-- He is selling that they have a long way to go because he is instilling a new system, so give him/them some time to gel.

-- He is selling that the players got down when they lost  previously (and, I guess, the negative impact that has)...but now they are still positive.

========

Regarding Jayvon tweeting, he was retweeting someone else tweeting that.  It may or may not have been about Alabama/Oats.    There is some plausible deniability, but the timing works for it meaning Alabama/Oats.   I think it shows, which isn't surprising, that there is still some hurt over him leaving and, I guess, leaving in the way he did.  As a UB fan, I 1000% hope Jayvon turns those feelings into a MAC POTY season for the Bulls.  As do the rest of the guys.

I think they have something to prove on Friday (to themselves and others).  I think they want to destroy Dartmouth and say to the basketball world that UB will be fine.  I think you may see that on Friday.

Go Bulls.

• Like 1