Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

1 hour ago, clodney said:

So, we forked over the largest athletics salary in the history of New York and Nate Oats leaves because UB doesn't want to commit to building a multi-million dollar basketball-only facility and an arena with a capacity that's 30% higher than Duke? That makes me think even less of him.

Well, to be fair, UB really needed a larger venue.  In the four years Oats was the head coach he played 60 games at Alumni Arena and sold it out...

*checks notes*

Um... twice?

51 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Well, to be fair, UB really needed a larger venue.  In the four years Oats was the head coach he played 60 games at Alumni Arena and sold it out...

*checks notes*

Um... twice?

To be fair, with the recruiting class we had on paper and the success last year if he stayed for the length of that contract we would have sold it out a lot more. But we don’t need a larger arena.

16 minutes ago, rma said:

To be fair, with the recruiting class we had on paper and the success last year if he stayed for the length of that contract we would have sold it out a lot more. But we don’t need a larger arena.

Correct on both accounts. Before you go bigger you need sustained demand. Last year they sold it out due to being ranked in the top 25 the entire season, and they still couldn’t get students to the games during holiday breaks. Create an atmosphere where tickets are actually difficult to come by and students have to get there early and/or pay a small fee for tickets. Then if you’re still selling out regularly you can talk about expanding. I just don’t buy that story about Oats wanting a bigger arena

Some of these Ivy League teams are really tough. And no one knows how good of a season they’ll turn out to have. I don’t think it’s a horrible loss for Bama (or UB), but it upsets the fans and tempers expectations. Maybe that’s not a terrible thing.  It gets players full attention, quickly, that’s for sure. 

32 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

After last night I think we need to focus on our house and forget about Oats and Alabama. 

Certainly the coaching staff and players need to redouble their efforts. Three things need drastic improvement, shooting, defense and more assists/less turnovers. As an aside Akron and BG played well last night with Akron losing to West Virginia by ten and BG giving #22 ranked LSU a real run for their money losing by 9. 

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Man, I sure feel bad for the Crimson Tide. Football loses and is out. Basketball team is in for a real slog. They’ll be .500 at best this season.  But Mr Oats is set for life. So every cloud has a silver lining.

His team plays no defense. It will be interesting to see how soon he can bring in his type of players and if they will ever commit to the defensive end.

On 12/1/2019 at 4:22 PM, 121Merrimac said:

RE: how soon.  Will it be soon enough for their fans, or AD?

Seen a report from one of the Bama beat reporters that some fans are already restless and most of the enthusiasm of Nate’s hiring has dissipated!!!!If Alabama is not at least competitive in the SEC who knows how Nate and the Alabama AD will handle the scene. It probably is not fair to Nate but such is life in the big city. 

26 minutes ago, John said:

Seen a report from one of the Bama beat reporters that some fans are already restless and most of the enthusiasm of Nate’s hiring has dissipated!!!!If Alabama is not at least competitive in the SEC who knows how Nate and the Alabama AD will handle the scene. It probably is not fair to Nate but such is life in the big city. 

That’s why the key for these coaches is to build enough clout before taking a high profile job. Instead most just strike when they get a sniff and end up fire 4 years later.

1 hour ago, John said:

If Nate had waited a bit he might have gotten his dream job at Michigan. I would not even been mad if he left for Big Blue. But he couldn't wait for his big payday in Tuscaloosa. Sorry if I can't muster any sympathy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

If Nate had waited a bit he might have gotten his dream job at Michigan. I would not even been mad if he left for Big Blue. But he couldn't wait for his big payday in Tuscaloosa. Sorry if I can't muster any sympathy.

This is always the question, though, for the up-and-comer from the MAC (or similar conferences).  When do you leave?  I am sure someone has done a good study on this.  It would be an interesting read.   Sounds like an honor's project or a master's project for a student in a business college (or in decision sciences). 

6 minutes ago, UB92 said:

This is always the question, though, for the up-and-comer from the MAC (or similar conferences).  When do you leave?  I am sure someone has done a good study on this.  It would be an interesting read.   Sounds like an honor's project or a master's project for a student in a business college (or in decision sciences). 

If it were me I would have waited one more season. With the class Nate had and the returning players, it would have been a MONSTER year. He'd have his pick of gigs. I just wish he laid off the "I love it here" talk if he didn't mean it.  We all know schools like UB are stepping stones, but show a little respect and don't blow smoke.  The way Alabama went down made me sour. (Hodgson's behavior really upset me.) It's not even that great a job outside the paycheck. But Nate had a foot on the plane to Tuscaloosa before the clock expired on Texas Tech.  Like I said, I won't shed any tears if they turn on him already.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I think you leave when the opportunity is too good. All Alabama had to offer was money. It had to over pay bc they know they suck at basketball yet they fancy themselves as some good basketball school. I think Nate could’ve held out for an opportunity at a better basketball school in which the money was also right. He could’ve continued to build his own profile which would give him more of a runway at whatever school he went to.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, UB92 said:

Anybody know which programs, if any, were looking at Reggie back in the day?

22 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Very unlikely with Juwan Howard available. 

• 1 month later...