Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

8 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Why is this posted here?   

who cares?  If you want to talk about them go visit the Alabama board. 

I do agree. The only thing I can attribute to is how Successful the UB teams that he coached were. IF nobody comments on the Oat’s threads maybe it will stop. From time to time I will go on their website to check on recaps of games etc. Do agree we have more positive threads about UB teams that we can be discussing so I SAY “GOODBYE” TO Oats threads. Go Bulls!!!!

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Don’t look at the thread then? If you don’t like it, don’t click? 

Easy fix for you.

I know that the Blue and White theme and the UB branding on this site might confuse you into thinking this is a place where people want to talk about Alabama. 

But this other site is actually what you're looking for.  ====>  https://www.tidefans.com/forums/forums/basketball.5/

Glad to help you out.

Admin...please do not lock this thread.  I think most UB fans are curious to see how Oats does at Alabama, so having a place to discuss this (such as this one thread) is quite reasonable.   

Here's a quote I found in a comment on an article about the game:

"Not sure what Coach Oats can do when you hit only 68% of free throws and blow a five point lead in final 22 seconds because of ball security. Why Kira Lewis didn’t turn and dribble the ball on inbounds pass rather than call last time (and second one in literally a few seconds) is beyond me. Love the kids natural ability but he has long way to go. Still, much more fun to watch than CAJ’s teams.."

Mine is the bold.   I think the jury may be out on Oats in Alabama, but the consensus seems to be that the product is more appealing to the fans.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, rma said:

Alabama knocks off #4 Auburn

Those 'Bama fans love them some Nate Oats.  He even pulled off the same schtick he used against the Bonnies last year (i.e. when they chanted they wanted UB).  Wasn't exactly the same, but he used it to his advantage to motivate the team against Auburn and blew them out.

6 hours ago, UB92 said:

Those 'Bama fans love them some Nate Oats.  He even pulled off the same schtick he used against the Bonnies last year (i.e. when they chanted they wanted UB).  Wasn't exactly the same, but he used it to his advantage to motivate the team against Auburn and blew them out.

Why wouldn't they? He's a great coach and the players love to play for him. It's no surprise at all that he's excelling there. We lost our greatest commodity the day he left and it will be hard to ever get another like him, as there aren't many who are even close to comparable to what he brings to the table.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

It’s hard for me to to see it while I soak in my jealousy. But, the guy is making it work and giving the fans something to cheer about.

Enjoy what we had...lots of great memories, though.  Wished it was longer, but it wasn't. 

The fans seem to love the intensity that he and the players bring relative to his predecessors.

We may come to find out (this year...in a few years...) that Oats is really special and comparing him to others that followed is probably unfair.  We shall see.   

What's not to love? He is a great recruiter, motivator and coach. Many people like the former diminutive coach for Akron Keith Dambrot said you could not win at UB. Oats proved all the naysayers wrong. A lot of people have said the same thing about Alabama. If he wins there he will be regarded as one of the top coaches in America.

13 hours ago, UB92 said:

7 minutes ago, UB85 said:

What's not to love? He is a great recruiter, motivator and coach. Many people like the former diminutive coach for Akron Keith Dambrot said you could not win at UB. Oats proved all the naysayers wrong. A lot of people have said the same thing about Alabama. If he wins there he will be regarded as one of the top coaches in America.

I think he was referring to Alabama and their belief that they are a basketball power. When in reality they are a football school. Much like Kentucky is a basketball school. And that lead to high expectations that they deemed Oats wasn’t meeting with an 8-7 record prior to this upset. But in agreement with you, Oats is a hell of a coach. We had a good one, sucks he left but such is mid major life 95% of the time. Enjoyed the run while he was here.

34 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I think he was referring to Alabama and their belief that they are a basketball power. When in reality they are a football school. Much like Kentucky is a basketball school. And that lead to high expectations that they deemed Oats wasn’t meeting with an 8-7 record prior to this upset. But in agreement with you, Oats is a hell of a coach. We had a good one, sucks he left but such is mid major life 95% of the time. Enjoyed the run while he was here.

My point was that, after the game, Alabama fans were all over the internet / social media expressing their love for their coach and the brand of basketball he brought.   I didn't imply anything about football school or believe that they are a basketball power.  They were just happy that Oats was 1 - 0 vs Pearl.

I was nostalgic..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Do you guys tend to still keep tabs on oats and bama? They’ve been killing it recruiting lately. Do you root for him still? I can’t help but root for him for some reason despite what happened. Still reflecting on what could’ve been if he stayed i guess haha. 

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

Do you guys tend to still keep tabs on oats and bama? They’ve been killing it recruiting lately. Do you root for him still? I can’t help but root for him for some reason despite what happened. Still reflecting on what could’ve been if he stayed i guess haha. 

I keep tabs on him and Alabama because if he does well it will still reflect well on UB. But its tough for me to actively root for Bama, turned one game on and it was blue collar this blue collar that. In my opinion the blue collar stuff should have stayed here in buffalo

I keep tabs. ASU picked up a big man transfer today and Bama picked up a JUCO wing. I hold no bad feelings. As said above the more they succeed the better that makes us look. If we become a coaching churn out factory that’s something I can deal with. A year removed from Oats we just need to focus on our own program and hope to beat him when it matters, like we did Hurley.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

So much commentary about the current coach, just checking out our previous coaches.

Nate Oats' Bama club is cookin'.  #9 in the country,  13-3,  currently on a 9 game win streak.  Big game tomorrow vs. Kentucky.

Bobby Hurley? Strugglin., 4-7, received a reprimand from the PAC-12 conference for his public comments about officiating after Thursday's loss to Arizona.

Not surprising about either one. One of them has always been an incredible coach and one of the best in the country. The other is a big name, was an amazing player, but isn't at the level of a coach as the first. I'm very happy for Nate, he's very good at what he does. I hope that Bobby can get the team back in order and right the ship. Both guys raised the bar and brought a lot of joy to the UB fan base, and are great people as well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Jesus, what a down year in the SEC. Except for maybe Tennessee, the SEC hasn’t looked this weak in a long time. Kudos to Oats though, it’s still a tough conference and he’s dominating it.

Hurley lost to Arizona again, that' s not going to sit well with the boosters. He may be in trouble unless they give a Covid-pass for this season.

4 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Hurley lost to Arizona again, that' s not going to sit well with the boosters. He may be in trouble unless they give a Covid-pass for this season.

I think the PAC-12 only has one top-25 team and Ariz St is last.  Not good.  I guess the Hurley name isn't automatically bringing in the best talent.

Who knew when both guys were sitting on the UB bench coaching,  that Oats would be the one to really take off to another level?!?