Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bold Predictions for Dartmouth

UB Alum

I was criticized often on this board for my opinion on transfer & juco players to build a team. Lack of chemistry and accepting roles. To be fair, this is not a Coach W team and he is hampered this season by lost recruits. I disagree on the play of our "big". Soft hands and poor position on the "d" board,. A former Park player started at the 5 in D1 this week. Joe Jones III (a UB lost recruit) owned the boards for Georgia State in their win. Too much "hero ball" tonight. Lack of maturity including the bench. I believe not all players will buy into Coach W and things will drastically change when he recruits the type of players that fit his style. Give it 2 years. He wasn't fortunate to inherit the teams that Hurley and Oats did.

This might sound like a complete reach, but based off what I’ve personally witnessed, they NEED to give Gallion a chance. He plays hard every single play, but on top of that he’s been looking fantastic in practice. This was an embarrassing performance all around. Guess we’ve seen what the absolute worst can be with this team. There’s enough talent and gifted scorers on this team that I’m going to stay positive and call this game an outlier. It’s easy to say the only part of the season that matters is in Cleveland but shit man this was sad 

12 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

The Bulls shot, what, 20-something percent in the first half?  And were still only down single-digits at the half.  I don't think Dartmouth played that great today, but UB shot so horribly for 2/3 or 3/4 of this game.

Exactly.  Ball was bouncing out of the net all game, which I remember happening at least one game last year too.  That I can live with much more than the airballs.

1 hour ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

I was criticized often on this board for my opinion on transfer & juco players to build a team. Lack of chemistry and accepting roles. To be fair, this is not a Coach W team and he is hampered this season by lost recruits. I disagree on the play of our "big". Soft hands and poor position on the "d" board,. A former Park player started at the 5 in D1 this week. Joe Jones III (a UB lost recruit) owned the boards for Georgia State in their win. Too much "hero ball" tonight. Lack of maturity including the bench. I believe not all players will buy into Coach W and things will drastically change when he recruits the type of players that fit his style. Give it 2 years. He wasn't fortunate to inherit the teams that Hurley and Oats did.

The team oats inherited. Are you kidding me. Evans bolted. He lost Moss. He lost two steady hands to graduation that guided the team through the MAC thicket. His wife diagnosed with cancer. He went out and got Hamilton and Conner in the summer. He got CJ and Perk as recruits. Oats did a miraculous job his first year. 

And the team Hurley inherited woefully underperformed. He had five seniors anchored by one of UB’s all time players. The fans thought that was finally going to be the year. And what happened? The team flames out in the quarter finals. 

And Jim lost two of UB’s best players of all time with CJ and Perk graduating not to mention Harris. These three were outstanding  

I agree with others on the board. Way too many new parts with a new coaching staff. It’s going to take time to find their footing. It may never come together in the way we’ve seen in the last five years.  But the team will surely improve significantly. 

Edited by UB85
  • Like 1

A couple knee jerk reactions:

The boys looked bulky and poorly conditioned. Wondering if the new musclehead S&T coach has them where they need to be. Injuries also may hint something is off.

Multiple times guys looked confused as to what was being run on the offensive end. Granted it's a bunch of new guys with no chemistry in a new system, so it should improve. Very disappointing to see such an unprepared group.

The difference in intensity between Oats and Whitesell from sitting right behind the bench was apparent. In a game where our guys were flat and the refs were inconsistent if not bad, I'm not sure I heard him raise his voice once.

This team is significantly less mature than last year's, aside from just the experience lost. Judging from their social media they revel in the relative bright lights at the level and may have thought they could ride the coattails of the program's recent succes. Major reality check, time to grind.

Quick player notes:

Rondo is our spark, he'll be playing meaningful minutes all season. Incredible ball-handler at this level, shooting touch is there, intensity and quickness on defense along with Cocoa almost brought us back.

The offense needs to get Graves more looks. He's going to have to be the go to guy. Had a jaw-dropping rebound for a stick back layup.

I'm willing to write off Nate as ever becoming a reliable outside shooter. Also remains heavily left hand dominant driving. Just a stunning lack of skill from a recruit of his caliber.

Exciting to have Mballa for three years. Quite raw in some areas but so much to work with. Fundamentals including focus on boxing out will need to improve.

Going to give Hardnett the benefit of the doubt coming off an injury, but that was not the player we were looking forward to all summer. Low activity level, awkward athleticism. Will be watching him closely.

Does anyone know why Nickleberry didn't see one minute? Hoping he had a slight knock and there isn't something else up. Otherwise shocking that a recruit of his caliber couldn't crack the rotation. Thought his length and vision could have helped spread the floor and make Dartmouth pay for their heavy overcommit/help defensive rotations.

Long post but damn that was a brutal one. Hoping the program didn't blow too much of their momentum with the general public last night. Crowd felt large enough and tried to get into it during the comeback, but was mostly understandably subdued.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UB05 said:

I don’t disagree, but you should still win holding Dartmouth to 68

My point is that last night UB had a bad shooting night, they needed to step up the defensive intensity especially early in second half.  Jordan did lead the effort, but it came up short.  You may not be able to control if your shot is falling, but you can control how hard you continue to play.

Now I am putting in perspective, this is one game.   A lot can be learned, starting with playing blue collar on defense.

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

A couple knee jerk reactions:

The boys looked bulky and poorly conditioned. Wondering if the new musclehead S&T coach has them where they need to be. Injuries also may hint something is off.

Multiple times guys looked confused as to what was being run on the offensive end. Granted it's a bunch of new guys with no chemistry in a new system, so it should improve. Very disappointing to see such an unprepared group.

The difference in intensity between Oats and Whitesell from sitting right behind the bench was apparent. In a game where our guys were flat and the refs were inconsistent if not bad, I'm not sure I heard him raise his voice once.

This team is significantly less mature than last year's, aside from just the experience lost. Judging from their social media they revel in the relative bright lights at the level and may have thought they could ride the coattails of the program's recent succes. Major reality check, time to grind.

This is an excellent post. Right on point. I agree that we looked poorly conditioned. So unlike years past and weird for players who for the most part have been in the system. Guys like Johnson and Grant. 

Also agree about Whitesell on the sidelines. I wonder if he is gonna be more of a players coach than an in your face hold you accountable type. 

After sleeping on it, it’s just one game of a long season that’s all about building up for the MAC tournament. We are a work in progress, no doubt a reality and ego check. Now we gotta become men and improve. 

I know our players are talented. They will figure it out and build more chemistry. The main issue I had with this game was on one group only:

The coaching staff: I know our team has the potential to win the MAC again this year but they need a fantastic coaching staff to get there. We are one game in, but I really did not like what I saw. We had barely any adjustments from 1st half to 2nd half. They ran the same pick and roll 10 times on us. We had flashes of our old fast paced team. On some fast breaks, Whitesell threw his hand up to call a play. That wouldn't have happened last year.  Push the tempo to throw off their defense. And what kind of offensive plays were that?! There was nothing.

Williams came right back out of the locker room after the game and started putting up shots. The work ethic is there. In January, I will see how I feel about Whitesell. He claims that  he wants fast pace but everything felt so slow (maybe it is because I have grown used to the Hurley/Oats systems).

Edited by BullsFan14

24 minutes ago, fosterclogfear said:

I give you the first D1 opponent of the Nate Oats era. Pretty ugly as I remember. Hero ball, multiple turnovers. Let’s all just RELAX. https://ubbulls.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2015-16/old-dominion/boxscore/783

Yeah but the ODU team that year was one of the top in conference USA and that game was on the road. Not even sure if we were favored in that game. This team was predicted to be worst in Ivy League and we were at home. This was much worse, and I don’t think Dartmouth even played that well. We were just that bad, and Oats would have ripped into the team after the start we had and made some adjustments. It’s one game so I get it, but boy do things have to change fast otherwise we’re going to have a really ugly out of conference record.

2 hours ago, fosterclogfear said:

I give you the first D1 opponent of the Nate Oats era. Pretty ugly as I remember. Hero ball, multiple turnovers. Let’s all just RELAX. https://ubbulls.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2015-16/old-dominion/boxscore/783

ODU was a top-100 team and won 25 games that year.  We are talking about Dartmouth here.

but I agree the team can recover and play much better.  They just better get it together before the Big 4 games.