Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bold Predictions for Dartmouth

UB Alum

Just would like to point out that Harvard lost to Northeastern

Adding on to this:
Arizona State lost, Andre Allen had 0 points and 2 rebounds

Washington State won, Noah Williams had 2 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 assists

Alabama lost as we all know, Hawkins didn’t even play, Rojas is out for the season

The first game of the season isn’t time for panic mode. They had a bad game, and in my opinion completely underestimated Dartmouth. Think of last years team when we had bad games, like the one against Northern Illinois. Bad games happen, even to good teams. Defense needs work, offense just wasn’t on the same page. We will be fine 

Edited by 961819
  • Like 1

I think it would not have hurt to start on the road. Too tight at home and, true, we underestimated our opponent. I was among those who believed we are deeper than recent years. But game one showed we have a lot more to develop. Last 2 seasons in poor-shooting starts, Perk would get us going with post up baskets, Dontey would spark us with a tough charge, D and transition would bring some easier points. Not just chuck 3's and hope the other side starts missing.

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly

I was surprised that we got so little out of Grant and Johnson on Friday. I expected big points from at least one of them in this game.

Williams struggled at times. Hardnett didn't appear ready yet after his return from injury.

Mballa showed athleticism on both ends, but then got worked over at times in the low post D.

Segu and Graves looked like Segu and Graves, with Rondo feeling more comfortable shooting on offense and bit thicker than last year (while not losing any of his quickness).

No Nickelberry, Skogman, Gallion. The latter two I wasn't overly surprised with, but the first was definitely interesting. While he didn't look good against Daemen, I thought he might be worth a shot. The staff is around these guys all day every day. They certainly know what they've got more than I do. 

The amount of easy baskets was unexpected and appalling. 

Jordan played one of his worst halves in his 4 years in the 1st half. He put the team on his back during most of the 2nd and looked like a man possessed. Sadly it wasn't enough.

I think we win the game is Brock plays. His presence in the low post D would've helped. At minimum, it would've given the coaching staff a chance to rest Mballa a bit (he looked gassed playing so many minutes at times). While not the fleetest of foot, his length and experience would've likely worked against the big man from Dartmouth.

It's one game. It's not time to jump over the falls. If after 10 games we've seen nothing but the same, then I'll start cleaning out my barrel. As for now, I'm sure we'll put up 100 on Monday and have a little confidence back heading into the next opponent.

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

Also

Johnson & grant first game against a division 1 opponent in nearly 2 years

First division 1 game for hardnett

First meaningful minute division 1 game for mballa (also segu and williams to an extent)

I agree there should be no panic mode after one game. Before the season there were many positive vibes about all our new players but only time will tell if they will become good div 1 players. Maybe there was more positive vibes about this team because of our last few years of success. Johnson and Grant did not have good stats on their former teams and Mballa was not a first tier player or TT. You never know how Juco’s are going to perform against better Div 1 talent. Not sold on Williams as a Div 1 player as he showed no progression from last year as he forced shots on the offensive end and was as bad on defense as he was last year. Segu showed promise but only time will tell. Whitesell showed little during the game and seemed overwhelmed at times. I do believe this team will need some time along with the coaching staff to become comfortable and gain some confidence to play as a team. Even if they have a good game against Div 111 Nazareth it will not be a good barometer on how we will play against Div 1 teams. Our family will be with this team every step of the way.  Go Bulls!!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John said:

I agree there should be no panic mode after one game. Before the season there were many positive vibes about all our new players but only time will tell if they will become good div 1 players. Maybe there was more positive vibes about this team because of our last few years of success. Johnson and Grant did not have good stats on their former teams and Mballa was not a first tier player or TT. You never know how Juco’s are going to perform against better Div 1 talent. Not sold on Williams as a Div 1 player as he showed no progression from last year as he forced shots on the offensive end and was as bad on defense as he was last year. Segu showed promise but only time will tell. Whitesell showed little during the game and seemed overwhelmed at times. I do believe this team will need some time along with the coaching staff to become comfortable and gain some confidence to play as a team. Even if they have a good game against Div 111 Nazareth it will not be a good barometer on how we will play against Div 1 teams. Our family will be with this team every step of the way.  Go Bulls!!!!!

Agree

The whitesell comment is a very good point. The bulls looked slow and let Dartmouth dictate how the game would be played.

Whitesell needs to adjust a bit better. We were playing at a slow pace, would have liked to see a press earlier and more often. Help your team correct its play.

A loss like this can be a great learning experience and even increase team bonding/building

Edited by Tee4three

In reading the comments on the board so far, there seems to be a mix of concern and a willingness (maybe a hope!) to write this one off as "one game".   Losses happen, but I think the manner in which UB lost was shocking and concerning.   Defensive lapses.  Turnovers.  More 3 pt FGA than 2 pt FGA (even though the coach emphasized that they would have to shoot fewer 3s).  Minimal impactful 2nd half adjustments.   

It was REALLY important for UB to come out on Friday and win...and win decidedly for a variety of reasons.  That didn't happen.  Now the next steps become tricky.  I wonder how the Harvard game is going to play out.   

44 minutes ago, UB92 said:

More 3 pt FGA than 2 pt FGA (even though the coach emphasized that they would have to shoot fewer 3s). 

We were pretty 3-ball happy the past few seasons as well when we were in the half court set but we coupled it with a ton of transition layups off turnovers. I didn't see the defensive intensity and pressure that is necessary to create those transition baskets. It didn't look like Buffalo out there.

Some good points on this game above.  I gave it a few days before I commented and I am glad I did.  My comments today are drastically different then they would have been Friday night after the game.  This game was bad, in fact, I would argue one of the worst performances I have seen our team play since Reggie Weatherspoon was here.  Our defense, especially in the paint was horrible, no other way to put it.  We gave away so many easy buckets to a team that is not a score in the post type of team.  We made no adjustments and it continued to happen deep into the game.  Our shot selection was also poor, we looked like a team that could not decide to run or to slow it up and set the offense in the half court. 

I could go on and on about the problems we had in that game but we all saw it and we are all sick about it.  I am not going to overreact after one game.  I am going to remain confident in this coaching staff that they will turn around this ship and they will learn from this game.  Lets not lose sight of the fact we have many news and young players on this team.  If we continue to see these trends as the season moves along then I think it will be time to worry.  Team chemistry is built on adversity and one of the biggest roles of a coach is to steer his team thru such adversity.  Lets see how this team bounces back before we assume this is a trend of this team.  I still believe there is too much talent on this team not to compete for the MAC championship.  I believe Whitesell will get them there, but it is clear there will be some growing pains.  Lets work thru them now so come March we are playing our best basketball.  As we all know our season is defined on three days in March in Cleveland.  Go Bulls!

36 minutes ago, MaineBull said:

Some good points on this game above.  I gave it a few days before I commented and I am glad I did.  My comments today are drastically different then they would have been Friday night after the game.  This game was bad, in fact, I would argue one of the worst performances I have seen our team play since Reggie Weatherspoon was here.  Our defense, especially in the paint was horrible, no other way to put it.  We gave away so many easy buckets to a team that is not a score in the post type of team.  We made no adjustments and it continued to happen deep into the game.  Our shot selection was also poor, we looked like a team that could not decide to run or to slow it up and set the offense in the half court. 

I could go on and on about the problems we had in that game but we all saw it and we are all sick about it.  I am not going to overreact after one game.  I am going to remain confident in this coaching staff that they will turn around this ship and they will learn from this game.  Lets not lose sight of the fact we have many news and young players on this team.  If we continue to see these trends as the season moves along then I think it will be time to worry.  Team chemistry is built on adversity and one of the biggest roles of a coach is to steer his team thru such adversity.  Lets see how this team bounces back before we assume this is a trend of this team.  I still believe there is too much talent on this team not to compete for the MAC championship.  I believe Whitesell will get them there, but it is clear there will be some growing pains.  Lets work thru them now so come March we are playing our best basketball.  As we all know our season is defined on three days in March in Cleveland.  Go Bulls!

A good objective post. We lost the heart and soul of the team with the players we had last year. Carruthers was the defensive heart and soul of the team and the rest of the players followed his lead. We don’t have that with this group as of now. All the hype about how good some of these new players are will be played out as the games are played and only time will tell. You can’t teach basketball IQ. There are teams locally and nationally that are littered with players that were the best in high school and Juco that are not great players in Div 1. Again this is really a whole new group of players and former players that are in different roles and it will be interesting to see how this plays out. hope to enjoy the ride. Go Bulls!!!!

Hello everyone. I'm a UB grad - live 5 miles from Dartmouth, and I'm well familiar with their men's basketball team, though I'm more of a hockey/football fan.

I was out of town all weekend and didn't check any scores.  At noon today I turned on the local sports talk radio, and I almost sprayed my coffee all over the dash.

That is all.

9 hours ago, Backwater said:

Hello everyone. I'm a UB grad - live 5 miles from Dartmouth, and I'm well familiar with their men's basketball team, though I'm more of a hockey/football fan.

I was out of town all weekend and didn't check any scores.  At noon today I turned on the local sports talk radio, and I almost sprayed my coffee all over the dash.

That is all.

I think Dartmouth could surprise in the Ivy this year, veteran team who was better than their record last season. Great year for the football team so far too.