Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#TBT Kent State Game Thread

BrooklynBull

What a complete embarrassment...this team consistently has no CLUE on special teams. How do you not expect an onsides kick and how do not ensure max protect punting deep in your own end??? On the final offensive drive you run on 3rd down but then punt on 4th and 3. If you're going to punt on 4th why not pass on 3rd?

Just completely dominated the game for over 3 quarters but seemed shell shocked at the first sign of pushback. Again, nothing I can say other than embarrassing in every way.

I’ll give Kent credit as well.  They could replay that game 100 times from 8 minutes remaining And I bet 99 would result in a UB win.  That whole sequence was scripted perfectly for them.

The coaching failed, Terrible special teams,  the D wilted,  the QB has to do better than 9 for 22.

• Like 1

I don’t know if anyone formally affiliated with the UB athletic program reads this board, but that was the most disappointing and pathetic loss I have seen in my 30+ years as a UB fan.  

Not being ready for the onsides kick is inexcusable.   Not running when it was 27 to 20 is inexcusable.    There were unblocked players on that punt block.    Two same plays on 2nd and 3rd down when we needed a first down.   

Our coaches panicked and were out-coached.  Inexcusable for an experienced staff.

I don’t blame the players.   I blame the coaches.   

So...I am out on football and I love football and UB.   But this is how I have to show my displeasure.   Changes are needed.   

18 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

In the Gill years we didnt see Gill lose big leads, only once in '08 when we were up 21-6 on WMU and lost. 

I’ll never forget that game. Gill was super aggressive with his offensive play calling in the first half with UB scoring four touchdowns. Then he went just the opposite direction and was ultra conservative which changed the momentum leading to the L. Like tonight just a horrible loss. 

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Are you just now realizing Lance is a garbage head coach? Has been since day 1.

10 wins and none of those players are in the NFL right now. So he’s done a lot with a little. I’m not happy about blowing huge leads but saying he’s garbage is inaccurate

6 minutes ago, rma said:

10 wins and none of those players are in the NFL right now. So he’s done a lot with a little. I’m not happy about blowing huge leads but saying he’s garbage is inaccurate

Stop it, he had all the tools last season to win that MAC championship and bowl game. Lance’s conservative style since he showed up has been nothing less than boring and unappealing. Not surprised they lost in that fashion because he gets out coached often. 

10 minutes ago, rma said:

He blew a 19 or 4th Q lead in a title game. He blew a 21 or lead with 8 minutes left last night. If you're any kind of coach that happens once maybe, not every couple games.

I like Lance.  If they dump him, watch the next guy turn this program into Akron.  It's very hard to build a consistent winner at Buffalo.  These blown games are infuriating but he runs a solid program and we have better athletes than we used to have.  This was going to be a re-load/rebuild type season. 

That being said, Kent State played fast the whole night, while UB played their running/plodding style on O.  The fast team just overwhelmed them towards the end and UB could not make one single play to turn momentum back to their side.  Make ONE play.  I'm sure Leipold won't be sleeping well for the next week.  

2 hours ago, zigo230 said:

I like Lance.  If they dump him, watch the next guy turn this program into Akron.  It's very hard to build a consistent winner at Buffalo.  These blown games are infuriating but he runs a solid program and we have better athletes than we used to have.  This was going to be a re-load/rebuild type season. 

That being said, Kent State played fast the whole night, while UB played their running/plodding style on O.  The fast team just overwhelmed them towards the end and UB could not make one single play to turn momentum back to their side.  Make ONE play.  I'm sure Leipold won't be sleeping well for the next week.  

Excuses. Leipold coaches scared. That's why his teams lose games this way... often.

• Like 1

Once you live through 8 years of 0-3 wins per season, like some of us saw, you can survive any UB football heartbreak. Lance and staff have taken us to new heights, but, it could become the football equivalent of Reggie. Good to very good years, 1 Division title, a huge letdown after a big MAC championship game lead. Lance has to clean up the mistakes or he is headed that way. We need him to be our own Rod Carey or Brian Kelly.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 3:18 PM, ChicagoBull said:

99 out of 100 games like that go our way.  Unfortunately, this was the 1. 

Quickest solution is on special teams.  Take care of the basics.  Nobody comes unblocked.  Jump on the ball when it is near you.  Do either one of those things and we win.  

The MAC Championship went that way. The Bowl game against Troy went that way. The Kent State game went that way. That's 3 in the last 15 games.

3 hours ago, Jeseph said:

The MAC Championship went that way. The Bowl game against Troy went that way. The Kent State game went that way. That's 3 in the last 15 games.

There have been plenty of other painful losses, but the MAC Championship and the Troy bowl game are not in the same category.  This loss was epic.