Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Hunter Jenkins

Jeseph

3 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

What a huge loss to our recruiting portion of our staff. Jesus. Not good. Good to see Chanse Robinson signing with us but man, that isn’t good for the program.

Happens every year to most teams, it’s part of the business. Maybe not how when or why it normally happens, but it does. It is a shame as he seemed to be doing good work on the recruiting trail, but with such a small sample size who knows how it would’ve gone long term anyway. Coach Whitesell just needs to find someone else. No real rush as 2 of the 3 scholarships are already filled for next season provided our recruits keep their commitments. Just gotta find the right guy.

4 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Happens every year to most teams, it’s part of the business. Maybe not how when or why it normally happens, but it does. It is a shame as he seemed to be doing good work on the recruiting trail, but with such a small sample size who knows how it would’ve gone long term anyway. Coach Whitesell just needs to find someone else. No real rush as 2 of the 3 scholarships are already filled for next season provided our recruits keep their commitments. Just gotta find the right guy.

It is a loss since he seemed to be doing well.  Of course, if his personal issues have impacted his ability to effectively do the job at the level he would like (or would be expected), then he probably did the right thing in resigning.

With the uptick in UB's performance and name-recognition in basketball, I would think that there would be some strong interest in this position.

Go Bulls!

• Thanks 1

Just now, dutchcountry7 said:

So we have gone a month without a recruiter and assistant coach?

What was the deal?  Someone has to know. 

Yeah I knew something was up when we haven’t had any new offers out in the past month. But I’m sure Whitesell’s replacement will do a great job with the national name UB has now 

I was at the Blue Bull this weekend and overhead some UB coaches talking about an FBI and NCAA with Kansas and LSU. Not sure if it is related to this or not 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, BullsBacker23 said:

Yeah I knew something was up when we haven’t had any new offers out in the past month. But I’m sure Whitesell’s replacement will do a great job with the national name UB has now 

I was at the Blue Bull this weekend and overhead some UB coaches talking about an FBI and NCAA with Kansas and LSU. Not sure if it is related to this or not 

Jenkins isn’t the only one who recruited. Freeman credited Thorpe as the reason he chose Buffalo for example...

I hope things work out for Jenkins, sorry to see him go.  But lets be honest, kids were not coming to Buffalo because of him. They were coming to Buffalo to get to the big dance based on our recent success and because of coach Whitesell and the style of play the team plays.  Those things have not changed with the departure of Jenkins and our national profile has been elevated to a high enough level that we should be able to attract a high profile recruiter to replace Jenkins.  I am a big fan of filing this position with an ex high profile player, ideally an ex nba player who would garner respect from these kids.  My vote would be to reach out to past NBA vets who want to get into college coaching, this recruiting position is a great way to get started in coaching and an NBA player will help on the recruiting trail no doubt.   I will be anxious to see what direction Coach goes to fill this position.  We have two other solid recruiters on our staff currently in Thorpe and Quarles.  No reason to believe they are not taking care of the recruits they are looking at to fill the last scholarship spot for next year.

I agree, we will find the next guy in line. We have a good profile as a program, the type of style we play is easy to sell and success certainly helps. It's a shame to see him go and I hope all is well with him and his family/friends. When Hodgson left, the sky was falling, but we came out just fine on the other side. Trust the process and if possible, get a guy with name recognition that makes it easier to get into kids living rooms. Go Bulls! 🤘

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaineBull said:

I hope things work out for Jenkins, sorry to see him go.  But lets be honest, kids were not coming to Buffalo because of him. They were coming to Buffalo to get to the big dance based on our recent success and because of coach Whitesell and the style of play the team plays.  Those things have not changed with the departure of Jenkins and our national profile has been elevated to a high enough level that we should be able to attract a high profile recruiter to replace Jenkins.  I am a big fan of filing this position with an ex high profile player, ideally an ex nba player who would garner respect from these kids.  My vote would be to reach out to past NBA vets who want to get into college coaching, this recruiting position is a great way to get started in coaching and an NBA player will help on the recruiting trail no doubt.   I will be anxious to see what direction Coach goes to fill this position.  We have two other solid recruiters on our staff currently in Thorpe and Quarles.  No reason to believe they are not taking care of the recruits they are looking at to fill the last scholarship spot for next year.

Maybe Donyell wants to come back lol

20 hours ago, UB92 said:

It is a loss since he seemed to be doing well.  Of course, if his personal issues have impacted his ability to effectively do the job at the level he would like (or would be expected), then he probably did the right thing in resigning.

With the uptick in UB's performance and name-recognition in basketball, I would think that there would be some strong interest in this position.

Go Bulls!

More importantly, If his job has impacted his ability to take care of his personal issues, or is the cause of the issues, then he probably did the right thing in resigning.

Edited by ChubbyHubby