Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nazareth @ UB (11/11 - 7:00pm ET)

BrooklynBull

It's 3 home games in 5 days at Alumni Arena (between the men and women), starting on Monday.

0-1 UB vs 1-0 Nazareth, who beat Buff State to open their season.

Nazareth boasts 2 - 6'7 players and not anyone else over 6'4. It should be steal-fest, rebound-fest, and dunk-fest. Let's prevent those inside easy ones that have gone against us thus far!

A winter storm watch is in effect for Monday evening...Over/under on attendance? I know that I'll be there no matter what the weather/opponent is. I hope others join me.

UB should be able to get everyone involved in this, get back some positive vibes for all, as it should be much lesser competition than playing against their own walk-ons. 

Forget trying to get everybody involved. I don’t want to see a walk on until 2 minutes left in this game and we are up over 20. We have a lot to work on. A lot. I’m still salty over that performance Friday. We need to come out and execute and start the process of figuring out chemistry, a rotation and players eating up minutes. Especially guys like Hardnett, Johnson and Grant who haven’t played much over the last year plus. I personally don’t like games against D-3 teams but we need a reset after Friday.

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Forget trying to get everybody involved. I don’t want to see a walk on until 2 minutes left in this game and we are up over 20. We have a lot to work on. A lot. I’m still salty over that performance Friday. We need to come out and execute and start the process of figuring out chemistry, a rotation and players eating up minutes. Especially guys like Hardnett, Johnson and Grant who haven’t played much over the last year plus. I personally don’t like games against D-3 teams but we need a reset after Friday.

My statement "get everyone involved" was in reference to those guys, not the 12-15th guy on the bench. We need to get the top 9 playing together, moving the ball, getting on the same page. The 1-on-1 stuff that we saw on Friday took us back many years. It can't be the norm, and likely won't be, but isn't what UB has been built upon over the last several years. It was built on team D, team O, hustle, ball movement, passing up good shots for great shots. That's the UB team that was built upon the "blue collar" mold. That's the type of team that can win championships. Our whole must always equal the sum of parts. On Friday it looked like parts pieced together, not a whole, and the result was one that emptied out the AA prior to the end of the game with heads held low.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

@skrabukes I’m just frustrated. I know it’s only one game but it left a very bitter taste in my mouth. Tomorrow is a pallet cleanser. But ultimately whipping up on a D-3 team won’t prove anything but at least it’s a chance to figure things out.

Oh it was bad. I'm in agreement with you. I absolutely was shouting from the rooftops how good this team would be, to anyone who would listen. 32 wins? No. High quality, competitive team? Absolutely. Friday looked nowhere near that. It's 1 game, the first game, hopefully just an outlier and the real team will be ready to show up this weekend. There's little that can be gained from tomorrow, in my eyes. It has to be even lesser quality than a practice. I would imagine that our walk-ons would shine for Nazareth all season long. Our scout team (last year it was Grant, Williams, Segu, Johnson, etc) was top end last year and pushed our guys every day. I can't foresee the Naz guys being anywhere near that quality. In the end, I will be there to support these guys, including the coaches. I'm sure they all feel the need for it right now, as they surely cannot be pleased with Friday in any way, shape or form.

Things I want to see tonight in this game against a lesser opponent:

1.  Not giving away easy baskets in the post on drives to the basket (especially opposite the ball)

2.  Hound the perimeter players to create turnovers and push the tempo off these turnovers for easy baskets

3.  Some shots go in from perimeter

4.  More activity from Hardnett

5.   Nickelberry play some minutes

6. Gallion get a chance to prove himself

7. Jordan make a free throw

8.  Better ball movement, how about we make that extra pass

9.  Not so many step backs

10.  Jordan/Graves look to attack off the dribble and not settle for jumpers

11. Johnson and Grant need to prove they can defend

If we do these things I think this will show we are heading in the right direction.  I understand we are playing a DIII school but this game is a good chance to work out some of our issues.  We are a young team with many new faces.  It is going to take us sometime to define our identity as a team and for everyone of the players on the team to understand their roles.  Lets hope that tonight we make a big jump towards that goal.  Each game we need to build on the last.  It starts tonight, play with passion and effort!  Go Bulls!

• Jeseph pinned this topic
Just now, dutchcountry7 said:

This game will be won.  Nazareth is no way competitive to even the worst of the MAC teams.

I am not sure anything in this game will tell us anything. 

It may not tell us anything, but it will be another game under the belt for the team to be more cohesive. Maybe help some of the guys find their stroke.

I will look forward to seeing how they work together in this game.

2 minutes ago, ubmae86 said:

It may not tell us anything, but it will be another game under the belt for the team to be more cohesive. Maybe help some of the guys find their stroke.

I will look forward to seeing how they work together in this game.

I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact that they already got that against Daemen.  Also, Daemen got blown out in their first D2 game of the season losing by 20.

Nazareth is just too weak.  They are so weak that the team is more likely to get bad habits from playing the game.  They will steamroll the team on their athleticism alone.  One of their starters and best players is 5'9".  They just aren't in the same class as UB.

9 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

To be fair it was the #1 D2 team that only lost to Duke in an exhibition by 6

NW Missouri State would be a competitive mid-major team this season. They are very good.

Daemen won their next three games after losing to NWMSt....they will likely be a top 25 team all season.

I don’t care what the score of this game ends up being, a win by 50 or by 5. I want to see good habits, good defensive intensity and rotation, good ball movement, less hero ball, less jacking up contested threes, substitutions and coaching adaptions that seem relevant to the game flow, etc.

This team needs to show that they know their blueprint to be successful before we go play Harvard or I’m going to lose confidence in this season quickly. Execution can be a work in progress but I want to see a sense of structure and coaching in their play.

Edited by eanil
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact that they already got that against Daemen.  Also, Daemen got blown out in their first D2 game of the season losing by 20.

Nazareth is just too weak.  They are so weak that the team is more likely to get bad habits from playing the game.  They will steamroll the team on their athleticism alone.  One of their starters and best players is 5'9".  They just aren't in the same class as UB.

Do agree. It will be important to get comfortable with running good offensive sets with good ball movement and also playing good team/help defense. Even if UB has a good game they can not get too comfortable based on who they are playing. A good case in point is Williams play against Daeman where he looked in control and made some nice offensive moves. Against Dartmouth he played like he was last year. He was forcing his moves and was out of control and played terrible defense. He probably never had to play defense in high school and was head and shoulders over most of the high school players. Hope he along with the other new players can improve and play as a team. The way the game against Daeman went they probably felt it was going to be the same against Dartmouth. Looking forward to tonight’s game maybe with not many fans as the weather is not pretty. Go Bulls!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

This game is a waste of time. Sure we’ll get a W but they’re not using it to develop a true offense and look off on defense.

Agree. I just find myself more frustrated. We can’t hit a free throw, living and dying by the 3 and still not running offensive half court sets. Our intensity is better but this is a complete mismatch. Real season starts again on Saturday. Hopefully we get a confidence boost from this.

5 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

This game is a waste of time. Sure we’ll get a W but they’re not using it to develop a true offense and look off on defense.

It’s more or less a game that will get news guys involved and get them to gain some confidence. It’s gonna be a game by game process to see what everyone’s role is, because of how many new faces there are.