Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

James Naismith Classic - UB vs Harvard (11/16 - 2:30pm ET)

Jeseph

35 minutes ago, MDBullsfan89 said:

Indeed, way too soon for this kind of talk. We were all frustrated by the Dartmouth loss but it was always going to take some time to adjust with so many new faces and guys in new roles. A game like this shows just how dangerous this team can be once we get all the kinks worked out.

Good to see this team wake up and play to their level. Beating the best Ivy makes up for losing to the worst one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, enrique14150 said:

The idea that it's going to take some time to figure out a starting 5 and the rotation and roles is a sane, reasonable comment that flies in the face of some of the over-reactive post-Dartmouth game freak out we've read here.  So thanks.

The Dartmouth game was atrocious. Our talent level should have carried us past our chemistry issues. Critique isn't necessarily a freak out. They deserve praise today as much as they deserved criticism that day.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

The Dartmouth game was atrocious. Our talent level should have carried us past our chemistry issues. Critique isn't necessarily a freak out. They deserve praise today as much as they deserved criticism that day.

They deserved all the criticism they got for that game - but the big-picture freakouts, like that one game was a sign that they hired the wrong coach, was too far.  The consensus right now is: they have some talent, they have some guys with a lot of potential, they're a work in progress.  As pretty much any team should be only a couple games into the season.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

They deserved all the criticism they got for that game - but the big-picture freakouts, like that one game was a sign that they hired the wrong coach, was too far.  The consensus right now is: they have some talent, they have some guys with a lot of potential, they're a work in progress.  As pretty much any team should be only a couple games into the season.

A very good right on comment. Just because at times we criticize after a game does not mean we do not support or care about our team and in many instances sometimes we care too much and take this game to heart. Do agree with the talent and potential part. There are teams all over the country that have talent etc. that do not have successful years. After our last few great years this is really an entirely different makeup of a team and only time will tell. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1

Harvard is without their star player and just welcomed two starters back from injury today.  So the win could be huge because Harvard could be much better moving forward which will make the Bulls win look even better.  But at the same time it wasn’t a top-100 team that was beat today.  

A big positive over the opening night.  But still work to do.  But looking like the new staff is doing a great job of getting them on track. 

As for Toronto... fan attendance was abysmal as I expected.   https://mobile.twitter.com/PeckOnSports/status/1195785931103469568

4 hours ago, promotherobot said:

It's getting obvious hiring Whitesell was a mistake. Totally undisciplined team. If they were going to hire from within FLJ world have been better.

Simply an idiotic statement!  A statement I suspect you will come to regret.  I see you made the same statement on UB Bullrun as well.  Classic case of too early overreaction.  

Game update?

I was out of town and didn’t see or hear about the game to the end.  

Just read the comments here and the Game Feed comments.   And I looked at the game flow on ESPN and the box score.  

Whoever watched the game, can they give an update on the players and how we looked?

It is great they got this win!   Go Bulls.  

10 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Game update?

I was out of town and didn’t see or hear about the game to the end.  

Just read the comments here and the Game Feed comments.   And I looked at the game flow on ESPN and the box score.  

Whoever watched the game, can they give an update on the players and how we looked?

It is great they got this win!   Go Bulls.  

Other than Grant, Hardnett, and Nickelberry - the team looked great once they found a rhythm. Segu looked like the best player on the court at times and showed that he’s going to be fun to watch for years. Johnson found his shot and looked great offensively. Mballa did Mballa things and got the job done while flashing his potential. 

Refs had a lot of fun making a lot of bad calls and taking personal time outs for no reason

40 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Harvard is without their star player and just welcomed two starters back from injury today.  So the win could be huge because Harvard could be much better moving forward which will make the Bulls win look even better.  But at the same time it wasn’t a top-100 team that was beat today.  

A big positive over the opening night.  But still work to do.  But looking like the new staff is doing a great job of getting them on track. 

As for Toronto... fan attendance was abysmal as I expected.   https://mobile.twitter.com/PeckOnSports/status/1195785931103469568

Looks like it got a little better but not much better

1 hour ago, UB05 said:

Should’ve held off posting this for juuuuuust a bit longer

53 minutes ago, MaineBull said:

Simply an idiotic statement!  A statement I suspect you will come to regret.  I see you made the same statement on UB Bullrun as well.  Classic case of too early overreaction.  

And I'm fine being wrong. But you have to admit it was a crap show for a while. Even beating Nazereth they didn't look that good. And when they started like they did, well.

It was a good win. Segu made a statement. Shooting improved. Let's keep it going.

Edited by promotherobot
  • Like 1

I think tonight was a much better performance.  The team defense was much improved.  Still some areas to work on but they continue to get better.  The defensive effort tonight was the best I had seen it all season long.  We took Harvard out of there comfort zone with the defensive pressure for most of the game.  We turned many of these turnovers into easy buckets.  As many of us have said this team is young, and has many new faces.  It will take sometime for the staff to get them where they need to be.  I think this team took a big jump towards that goal tonight.  At this point to me the glaring weakness of this team is rebounding.  

Coach had a great game.  He used his timeouts well on several occasions.  He drew up several good plays out of timeouts that created an easy bucket for the Bulls.  He was holding guys accountable by taking them out when they made a mistake and he is demanding effort if the players want to be on the floor.  I really like what I see from coach and I cannot wait to see how this season unfolds.

David Nickelberry-Boy did I read him wrong.  He is a solid role player and will remain only that unless he can find a way to limit the turnovers and shows an ability to knock down a jump shot.  At this point way too many turnovers and one dimensional on offense.  On the positive side he has shown the ability to be a strong rebounder in limited minutes.

Gabe Grant-He looks to be a streaky shooter.  Not bashful, confident to shoot from anywhere when open.  When the shot is falling, will be fun to have on floor.  When the shot is not, like tonight, he will struggle to find solid minutes.  He needs to be a better rebounder and defender.  This team could use some solid rebounding from him, someone to help Mballa.

Antwain Johnson-Showed off his shooting touch tonight.  Smooth off the dribble and has a strong pull up game.  Defensively, he cannot apply the pressure, like Segu, Jordan and Graves can.  I thought he found a good balance tonight of attacking off the dribble and settling for jump shots, that is when he is at his best.

Javon Graves-Great game by Javon.  He seems to have embraced the CJ role from last year of contributing on the glass from the wing position.  He was a big part of our success tonight, his rebounding was huge.  He also shot the ball well and was able to get to the rim at will.  I would have liked to see him attack the glass hard looking to get to the line instead of pulling up for the floater so often.  Big players play their best when the teams needs it, and that is what our leader did tonight.  His game continues to grow and he is in for a big next few years.  Potential MAC POTY next year.

Davonta Jordan-solid defense, had a few nice attacks off the dribble (especially to left hand).  That drop off pass for the dunk in the second have was vintage Jordan!  Jordan will continue to lose some of his minutes down the stretch with the increased play of Segu (see below) and his limitations at the free throw line. 

Savion Gallion-I think coach needs to find a way to get him a handful of minutes unless he intends to red shirt him.  I like what I see from him thus far, want to see what he has for a perimeter game.

Ronaldo Segu-We are watching the maturation of a great kid, whose hard work is paying off before our eyes.  It is truly amazing to watch.  The best part of his success is how excited all the players are for him, clearly they have seen how much effort he puts in and they are happy for his success, Segu is clearly well liked by his teammates.  He should be starting and playing most of the game.  This team is better with him running the point.  I understand Jordan is a senior but Segu has earned the right to run this team and he has proven this team is better with him at the controls.  His shot may take a while to get off but it is pure and very consistent.  His ability to create a shot for himself or a teammate is uncanny, as we saw a few times at the end of the shot clock today.  This kid has a very big future in front of him, we have only seen the tip of his potential.  

Jeenathan Wiliams-I would argue this was his best game as a Bull.  Yes he took a few ill advised three pointers, and turned the ball over a few times when he need not too and he may even of gotten a few untimely fouls away from the basket.  But he also, took the ball to the hoop aggressively.  I would still like to see him finish thru contact looking to get to the line.  This team needs to attack off the dribble and put pressure on the defense by attacking the rim with reckless abandon, make them foul you or the dunk.  Williams is getting much better defensively, his length is going to be a major problem for players.  His ability to move his feet is impressive for a guy his length.  I thought he rebounded the ball pretty well tonight as well.  The Bulls need him develop into an 8 rebound per night guy.  Williams is growing each time he steps on the floor, these minutes he is getting will make his maturation go faster and we will be a much better team as he continues to grow.  He also has a very bright future.  

Laquill Hardnett-He is the biggest surprise of the season thus far in my opinion.  I thought he would be one of our stronger players.  This team needs his ability to rebound.  Mballa needs help on the glass and I would say Hardnett is the best option to provide that help.   He is clearly a great athlete and I still believe once he gets comfortable he is in for some great years ahead.  Lets not lose sight that he is a freshman and has not played in a while since he red shirted last year. 

Josh Mballa-He has really impressed me this season.  He is active on defense, is a good rebounder and even better shot blocker..  If he was not granted his waiver this team would be in big big trouble.  Offensively, he has shown me more than I expected.  He can dribble the ball and seems to like to get out in the open court.  Josh will win multiple MAC DPOY awards and his defense will be the backbone of this team for years to come.  Coach hit a homerun with this transfer.  I love his game and cannot wait to watch him develop into an absolute monster.

As I said above we are heading in the right direction but the players need to continue to dedicate themselves to defense and pressuring the opponent every play.  I loved listening to the broadcasters tonight talk about how committed the Buffalo Program is to playing defense.  We have officially been given the label as a stingy defensive team and I could not be happier about it.  As we all know this is a recipe for success and I cannot wait for the next game on Thursday.   Go Bulls!

• Like 3

Anyone see the late game?

it looks like I might have jumped the gun when I said we would run over St Bona.  Rutgers is no slouch.  The freshmen in the brown jerseys seem concerning.  

Also, Canisius knocks off Bucknell.  They might be a challenge too. Looking like Niagara is the only Big Four that should be penciled in as a win. 

14 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

it looks like I might have jumped the gun when I said we would run over St Bona.  Rutgers is no slouch.  The freshmen in the brown jerseys seem concerning.

Bona started sucking when the game started slowing down.  Also helped that they hit a ton of their shots.

6 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

FYI I watch EVERY game. Women too. FLJ had her troops ready. Whitesell not so much. Let's hope the second half of Harvard is what this team really is. 

Congrats. Maybe we should support the guys that we have instead of tearing them down in the first quarter of their 3rd game, with a roster of mostly new guys having graduated the best senior class in history. Was I happy that they allowed 6 O Rebounds in the first 7 minutes? No, I was MF'ing under my breath from my seat. Was I yelling across the arena for the AD to fire the coach? No. Get real. Harvard came out with guns blazing...they wore out. Columbia came out guns blazing on Friday...they wore out. Our teams stayed the course, got it together, and took over. The women will be tough to equal with regard to team speed/fitness. Same goes for the guys. The difference is that our guys are going to be a bit on the smaller side, especially with the amount of time played with 3 guard lineups. I liked the look of the 3 forward lineup in the brief times yesterday. Nickelberry can move to the outside and fill that guard role, but also provide the team with a little length if needed. Same goes for Grant, although he was not on yesterday at all. While those two and Hardnett haven't been stars yet, we can hope that they will grow and mesh well and become strong pieces over the rest of these non-conference games, and allow for Coach JW to have 8-9 strong options (Jordan, Johnson, Segu, Graves, Williams, Mballa already looking the part). This weekend will be strong test. Again, it's not make or break in my opinion, but it would be nice to see some solid games, ones that look like the last 30 minutes of the Harvard game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Congrats. Maybe we should support the guys that we have instead of tearing them down in the first quarter of their 3rd game, with a roster of mostly new guys having graduated the best senior class in history. Was I happy that they allowed 6 O Rebounds in the first 7 minutes? No, I was MF'ing under my breath from my seat. Was I yelling across the arena for the AD to fire the coach? No. Get real. Harvard came out with guns blazing...they wore out. Columbia came out guns blazing on Friday...they wore out. Our teams stayed the course, got it together, and took over. The women will be tough to equal with regard to team speed/fitness. Same goes for the guys. The difference is that our guys are going to be a bit on the smaller side, especially with the amount of time played with 3 guard lineups. I liked the look of the 3 forward lineup in the brief times yesterday. Nickelberry can move to the outside and fill that guard role, but also provide the team with a little length if needed. Same goes for Grant, although he was not on yesterday at all. While those two and Hardnett haven't been stars yet, we can hope that they will grow and mesh well and become strong pieces over the rest of these non-conference games, and allow for Coach JW to have 8-9 strong options (Jordan, Johnson, Segu, Graves, Williams, Mballa already looking the part). This weekend will be strong test. Again, it's not make or break in my opinion, but it would be nice to see some solid games, ones that look like the last 30 minutes of the Harvard game.

Players at this level shouldn't shoot 20% or take dumb shots. I get having to gel, etc etc. But basic basketball skills you should show right off. 

Fans get exorcised when their teams play bad. Sorry. The answer is don't play bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Players at this level shouldn't shoot 20% or take dumb shots. I get having to gel, etc etc. But basic basketball skills you should show right off. 

Fans get exorcised when their teams play bad. Sorry. The answer is don't play bad.

Yes, their first 5-10 minutes were very bad yesterday, as was pretty much all of the Dartmouth game.  I'm sure that pros/pro teams will shoot 20% or take dumb shots within a 5-10 minute span of a game. It's not necessary to talk trash on a board about their coach due to a small sample of poor play. If that was the case, I'd hate to go back in time to 2000-2012, where many of those games were unpleasant to watch for the men's and especially the women's team. You must've really been unhappy watching those games. We've been spoiled the last several years and I think you are letting recent success make you want everything to be perfect. It's not going to be, not for UB men, not for UB women, not for #1 Kentucky who got beat this week, no one. Pretty much everyone on this board is passionate about UB, otherwise they wouldn't be here, but just relax a little bit and don't call for the coaches and players' heads in their first week of games. You can say anything you want, you have that right, but enjoy what we've got here with UB basketball. The last several years have been great, and it's looking pretty strong so far once again. The women have looked better than ever (who would've thought that, without their best player so far, after graduating possibly their best player ever last year, and their best senior class the year before) and the men have shown some promise, and (hopefully) are poised to make another MAC run. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Yes you’re right I’m sure they were missing their shots on purpose, and letting Harvard take the lead on purpose. Simple solution, just hit every shot they take, I wonder if the coaches ever thought of that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just can’t bring myself to get worked up at the players when we don’t win. These are college kids playing the game for free, representing the university to the best of their abilities. It’s not professional sports where they’re getting paid millions of dollars. I’ll scream at my tv all day watching the Sabres lose, but I’m not gonna come down on kids who are playing because they love the game. 

Edited by UB05
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, 961819 said:

Yes you’re right I’m sure they were missing their shots on purpose, and letting Harvard take the lead on purpose. Simple solution, just hit every shot they take, I wonder if the coaches ever thought of that?

Holy strawman. You guys are really unbearable sometimes.

• Like 1