Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

James Naismith Classic - UB vs Harvard (11/16 - 2:30pm ET)

Jeseph

On 11/17/2019 at 8:05 PM, ubbulls08 said:

Thinking back to when UB players used to miss breakaway dunks

Within the first couple minutes of my first UB men's basketball game Javon McCrea missed a dunk.  It's gotten much better since then 😉 

22 hours ago, 961819 said:

Yes you’re right I’m sure they were missing their shots on purpose, and letting Harvard take the lead on purpose. Simple solution, just hit every shot they take, I wonder if the coaches ever thought of that?

Never said it was on purpose. Just saying a team that's supposed to be good, with expectations on it, should come out looking better. That's the price of success I suppose. Fans getting cranky when you suck. I don't want UB to slide back to mediocrity. I want them to maintain the upward trajectory. Sorry if I blew off some rage. Especially after watching football puke on themselves at Kent State.  Do you not think someone needs to hear about it? Maybe Lance from Mark in private at least?

58 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

And really, it's been just one half of good basketball. Not time to break out the champagne just yet.

It’s a convincing win over a team with several top 150 recruits that was a preseason top 25 team Jesus what more do you want, a 70 point blowout? 
As far as the football team goes what happened with Kent State is absolutely unacceptable but that’s a completely different conversation 

Edited by 961819

10 hours ago, 961819 said:

It’s a convincing win over a team with several top 150 recruits that was a preseason top 25 team Jesus what more do you want, a 70 point blowout? 
As far as the football team goes what happened with Kent State is absolutely unacceptable but that’s a completely different conversation 

No point in arguing. Let him be a spoiled whiner.

• Like 1

Anyone know where a replay of the game is? I was following only a little on the ESPN app but would love to watch the game. I haven't watched a game since the home Dartmouth game. I missed Naz due to work travel and Harvard due to moving

EDIT: Found it. I didn't know it was on ESPN+

Edited by BullsFan14

On 11/19/2019 at 11:00 AM, dutchcountry7 said:

What do people think of the event in Toronto?

Do you think it is worth playing in it again?

I thought it was a lot of fun. Based on the number of fans from UB I don't think you have to worry about playing in it again. You guys did know that it was going on right?  Organizers were very pleased with SBU crowd. 

6 minutes ago, Buffalobonnie said:

I thought it was a lot of fun. Based on the number of fans from UB I don't think you have to worry about playing in it again. You guys did know that it was going on right?  Organizers were very pleased with SBU crowd. 

You know Buffalo was an original invite and Bona only got in because South Carolina dropped out lol. I see you're also in the prestigious Boca Beach Classic playing San Diego while UB is in Charleston playing lowly UConn. Maybe someday we can be as coveted a program as Bonaventure.

Edited by trueblue32

14 minutes ago, Buffalobonnie said:

Saw the SBU crowd firsthand. There were about 15 fans there, Olean really showed out! 

Touchy, touchy. 

I do realize that SBU was a replacement for South Carolina.  Do you realize that the tournament in BOCA is the same tournament that UB was in last year?  It was moved from Ireland. I believe participation in this tournament is a pre-cursor to being in the Paradise Jam next year.  Was there a border holdup and that is why there weren't any fans of UB at the game?  

Chubby Hubby, If you have better things to do than support your team on a Saturday afternoon that is awesome. Is that why your support was non-existent.  Meat raffle? wing eating contest? Helping people move out of the city?   I am sure going to the game at 2:30 in a rinky dink city like Toronto would not afford you any opportunities that you couldn't get in Buffalo.   

If you haven't noticed I am from Buffalo (thus the name).

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

You know Buffalo was an original invite and Bona only got in because South Carolina dropped out lol. I see you're also in the prestigious Boca Beach Classic playing San Diego while UB is in Charleston playing lowly UConn. Maybe someday we can be as coveted a program as Bonaventure.

We only got into Charleston because Penn State pulled out late last year and there were hardly any teams available to take their slot because everyone was already contracted to play in a tournament.  We lucked out at getting into Charleston.  I hate to imagine what our schedule would have looked like if Penn State didn't pull out. 

But if we win some games we will likely get an invite to other good events in the future.  And that would be great. Only one team per conference can play in an event so it should help us to get into events as the premier team in the MAC.

45 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Unlike Olean, Buffalo has other options for things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Can we stop saying things like this?

It makes it seem like watching our Bulls isn't worth it when you can go out to dinner or catch a movie instead.   Watching the Bulls is one of the best things to do in the area!  Stop selling our program short with comments like this. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Can we stop saying things like this?

It makes it seem like watching our Bulls isn't worth it when you can go out to dinner or catch a movie instead.   Watching the Bulls is one of the best things to do in the area!  Stop selling our program short with comments like this. 

You can choose to ignore it but it doesn't make it wrong. People on this board don't need lecturing on the value of the basketball program. The whole thing is a dumb argument anyway. If Bona's moderate fan showing at a 7 PM game in Toronto is the best thing the program has going for it then...

I think that anyone that knows me, knows how much I value UB athletics, and the roll they play in my life.  I would have been in Toronto if I wasn't working on Saturday.  Anyone that couldn't decipher that my statement was a shot at Buffalo Bonnie, and not UB Basketball, needs to lighten up.

Edited by ChubbyHubby
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

You can choose to ignore it but it doesn't make it wrong. People on this board don't need lecturing on the value of the basketball program. The whole thing is a dumb argument anyway. If Bona's moderate fan showing at a 7 PM game in Toronto is the best thing the program has going for it then...

Choose to ignore what?

You want to get into a pissing match about fans?  Seriously, their fans showed up so there is nothing to argue about. 

Let's focus on getting our house in order.  This is exactly why I didn't like the Toronto game because, as I said before, "our fans are too new and young to travel."  A game in Toronto might as well be in Boston, Nashville, or Chicago.  It isn't a game in our back yard.

With all that said, if we are beating the Bonnies then it all becomes moot.  Let's just beat them.  That will really help to get people in Buffalo to get move into UB.

1 hour ago, Buffalobonnie said:

Touchy, touchy. 

I do realize that SBU was a replacement for South Carolina.  Do you realize that the tournament in BOCA is the same tournament that UB was in last year?  It was moved from Ireland. I believe participation in this tournament is a pre-cursor to being in the Paradise Jam next year.  Was there a border holdup and that is why there weren't any fans of UB at the game?  

Chubby Hubby, If you have better things to do than support your team on a Saturday afternoon that is awesome. Is that why your support was non-existent.  Meat raffle? wing eating contest? Helping people move out of the city?   I am sure going to the game at 2:30 in a rinky dink city like Toronto would not afford you any opportunities that you couldn't get in Buffalo.   

If you haven't noticed I am from Buffalo (thus the name).

Do you realize your program hasn’t been remotely relevant since probably 1971? Just making sure you’re caught up on the times since news might get to Olean slowly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

You want to get into a pissing match about fans?  Seriously, their fans showed up so there is nothing to argue about. 

Let's focus on getting our house in order.  This is exactly why I didn't like the Toronto game because, as I said before, "our fans are too new and young to travel."  A game in Toronto might as well be in Boston, Nashville, or Chicago.  It isn't a game in our back yard.

As we already rehashed in the other thread you linked the attendance could've been 0 and that was a good event for the program. We don't get Harvard at AA and now we have a top 100 win under the belt. We already have 5 non-con games where we're paying shitty teams to come to AA, a 6th provides no value. I never disagreed on Bona having a better turnout. My point in the last post was saying I don't really care what the turnouts are like. There's not a national (or conference, etc.) championship for fans caring. Even if there was Bona would've finished behind Buffalo last year by about 1000 fans per game.

Edited by trueblue32

18 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

We don't get Harvard at AA and now we have a top 100 win under the belt.

We can get Harvard at Alumni.

Oats refused to start a home/home last year on the road which a lot of teams interested in playing us in a home/home wanted.  (Which makes sense since he wouldn't be here this year.  That was a sign he had his foot out the door.)  That's the whole reason we ended up with a in-season home/home with Southern Illinois.  Because they had the same issue and both programs held out too long.

Harvard plays almost all home/home deals. 

These are the programs they played on the road last year or this year without getting a paycheck for the game.

- UMass
- Siena
- Vermont
- Howard
- Rhode Island
- St. Mary's
- Northeastern
- Holy Cross
- George Washington
- San Francisco

They look for good mid-majors, preferably in their region, and they play home/home deals with them. 

Buffalo absolutely can get a series with Harvard.  But that would require UB being willing to go to Cambridge for a game.  UB has refused to agree to these games year after year. 

You ever notice how few home/home games UB plays.  It is basically the Big Four that they will agree to play in a home/home and that's because it is a cheap bus trip without needing to splurge for hotel rooms.

Edited by dutchcountry7

Make your own generalizations based on what I saw in person a that arena... (and that all programs have idiot fans)

1. Bonnie fans only group to consistently  boo opposing players- fine if you want to boo at game officials once ever couple of games for an egregious call.  Every athlete on the floor is an amateur that has put in thousands of hours and at least deserve the respect of silence.  (unless they do something completely over the line.) 

2. Bonnies fans only group to argue/harass with event staff who restricted floor area travel to floor seat holders. (part of their job- they are just following orders)

3. Bonnie fans only group to have an Effing drunkard walk around court side dressed like Chief Wahoo

giphy.webp

21 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Harvard plays almost all home/home deals. 

Sure, I agree with you, we should play more home and homes. Unfortunately we just haven't been able to schedule that caliber of opponent at home (whether by UB schedule maker choice or not). Regardless if we were to start scheduling quality home and homes the first game I'm cutting is the annual D3 game (this year Naz), rather than the Toronto event or any event of that ilk. At least we're not EMU/CMU, scheduling multiple non-D1s.