Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Charleston Classic (Buffalo vs. UCONN 11/21 @ 9:00PM)

5 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Paperwork will be filed at the end of the season provided he does not play. They're "planning" to redshirt him, the only exception being if God forbid Mballa and Hardnett suffered injuries, Skogman would end up playing thus burning his redshirt.

OK didn't know it was done after the season. Assuming he doesn't play in a game, is there a reason it wouldn't be honored? Or is it guaranteed? 

5 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Does anyone know if the redshirt rule for basketball is different than football? I’m pretty sure in football they can play a game or two and still redshirt 

In football they can play 4 games and still redshirt. According to the site below, even one minute on the court and basketball players lose their ability to redshirt. 

https://www.sportsrec.com/college-basketball-redshirting-rules-6716421.html

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Not me. I knew Oats was the better coach.

Agreed. Not to say that Whitesell will turn out bad, but Oats was not afraid to rip into the refs if they making bad calls or rip into the players if they not playing 100% or making poor decisions. With some of those shots that Johnson was taking last night he would have pulled him and given him an earful. Whitesell is just too calm for my liking, but obviously I want to see him do well. 

7 minutes ago, Ubbulls84 said:

Agreed. Not to say that Whitesell will turn out bad, but Oats was not afraid to rip into the refs if they making bad calls or rip into the players if they not playing 100% or making poor decisions. With some of those shots that Johnson was taking last night he would have pulled him and given him an earful. Whitesell is just too calm for my liking, but obviously I want to see him do well. 

Yeah...I hear you.  I distinctly remember Williams hitting a three last year, taunting the other team's bench and getting a T.   Oats went ballistic, pulled Williams and we didn't see him (IIRC) until the second half.   I don't know if Whitesell has that personality.    I think, also, that there is an art to "working the refs".  I mean, not like, say Hurley does (where only his team/fans like him and everyone else hates him), but there is an art (and it probably has some benefit...whether to impact the ref or really convince your team...in the moment...you have their back and will fight for them).   

39 minutes ago, Ubbulls84 said:

I have no doubt Jim is a good coach. Time will tell how successful he'll be. Personally I think the dreams of teams just outside the top 25 going forward are unrealistic.

As far as last night they had six assists or so on their first 20 points or so. They became more 1 on 1 after that great early stretch. The other reason for fewer assist was UConn's D and length, which caused their shooting percentage to plummet.

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

Does anyone know if the redshirt rule for basketball is different than football? I’m pretty sure in football they can play a game or two and still redshirt 

I believe I heard the other night that a player can play in 33% of games and still apply for a redshirt. So figure about 9 games. What I don’t know is if those games can be spread out or they have to be all non conference. 

Edit: in looking it up I’m probably wrong. If they play even a second it’s charge as a year of eligibility. 

Edited by DooleyBull06

3 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Paperwork will be filed at the end of the season provided he does not play. They're "planning" to redshirt him, the only exception being if God forbid Mballa and Hardnett suffered injuries, Skogman would end up playing thus burning his redshirt.

I thought Whitesell said that in a interview that they really wanted to redshirt Skogman but it was depending on the health of Bertram and that if something happened to Mballa or Hardnett they might be forced to play Skogman. On the game my thoughts are still leaning on the positive and giving this group some time. Concerned about the play of both Johnson and Grant who many thought would be very good players because they are from decent Div 1 teams. But the fact is they did not play last year and am concerned about Johnson’s shot selection and poor team play and Grant looks like a slow player with only wanting to shoot from the outside. I am not sold on Williams at all. His overall play is still very uneven and still plays out of control. Again what he was able to do in high school is not even close to the type of players he is playing against in Div 1. All in all this group of players do not at this point seem to play as a team with way to much one on one play. Only time will tell and will keep the positive vibes coming. Go Bulls!!!!

I saw glimpses in the first half of Buffalo basketball. Persistent defense & turnovers that turned into fast break points. They seemed to tire out in the second half but overall it was encouraging to know the talent is there - they just have to keep up the tenacity. It's hard to accept that last year is over and we're coming back to earth but overall this is still a talented team that could EASILY win the MAC and make for a very exciting March.

7 minutes ago, clodney said:

I saw glimpses in the first half of Buffalo basketball. Persistent defense & turnovers that turned into fast break points. They seemed to tire out in the second half but overall it was encouraging to know the talent is there - they just have to keep up the tenacity. It's hard to accept that last year is over and we're coming back to earth but overall this is still a talented team that could EASILY win the MAC and make for a very exciting March.

I do agree and I saw glimpses also. They just right now are not playing a team game and we also don’t seem to be in game shape. Our family noticed that a couple games ago. Hope the coaching staff sees the same thing and the players take it to heart. Tough break that players like Bertram and Fagan were not healthy to give us a better rotation. Still have positive vibes for this team in spite of not having players close to the talent of CJ, Perkins and Caruthers but those days are gone and hope for improvement from this group. Go Bulls!!!!

4 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I believe I heard the other night that a player can play in 33% of games and still apply for a redshirt. So figure about 9 games. What I don’t know is if those games can be spread out or they have to be all non conference. 

Edit: in looking it up I’m probably wrong. If they play even a second it’s charge as a year of eligibility. 

Isn't this the difference between a redshirt, and a medical redshirt?  Play a minute, and normally use a year of eligibility.  Play less than 33(?)%, suffer a season ending injury, and have the ability to request the NCAA review and possibly grant a medical redshirt.

Edited by 121Merrimac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 121Merrimac said:

Isn't this the difference between a redshirt, and a medical redshirt?  Play a minute, and normally use a year of eligibility.  Play less than 33(?)%, suffer a season ending injury, and have the ability to request the NCAA review and possibly grant a medical redshirt.

You’re correct.