Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bowling Green

ChubbyHubby

Great game last night.  They imposed their will in the 2nd half to avoid another meltdown.  

The O-Line, D-Line and RB's are balling out.  Did ya see the stat of Sack totals over the last 6 games:  Buffalo 27 , Opponents 1

Must win the game vs. Bowling Green, there are no other options!   

Edited by zigo230

1 hour ago, zigo230 said:

Great game last night.  They imposed their will in the 2nd half to avoid another meltdown.  

The O-Line, D-Line and RB's are balling out.  Did ya see the stat of Sack totals over the last 6 games:  Buffalo 27 , Opponents 1

Must win the game vs. Bowling Green, there are no other options!   

A great bounce back game and Patterson has been outstanding. The concern as always has been Leipold getting out coached in many of our games when we are ahead or our big games. The kicking and punting game has been terrible all year and all you hear is we have to get it corrected!!! The kickoff game can not kick the ball into the end zone and the punting is worst then in most high school games. Why does the punter continue to use the running kick style that is terrible?? This has been the same problem since Leipold came here. This is on the coaching staff and recruiters that they can not find a capable kicker. Hope UB can have a strong game against BG and get a bowl game. Go Bulls!!!!

I love Black Friday games.  We get to our hotel on Thanksgiving; Dar and daughter go shopping for the rest of the day/night; I watch football on tv; we go to the game the next day and watch UB beat Bowling Green....was fun last year in Mich-Ohio; with be great again in Buffalo-Amherst this year!

Happy wife/daughter and a UB victory, happy life!

Lance is solid and he's the best thing for UB.   Again, this is a hard program to keep consistently winning.  He runs a good program here.  He has to fix the special teams miscues but it's never going to be perfect at UB.   I thought they could win 5-6 games this year so they've overachieved for me.  Shoulda beat Kent and Ohio but S* happens.  that's why we watch sports. it's not 100% predictable.

• Like 1

I have to say its been a fun low keyish type year. 

Last year was a bit frustrating at times knowing the teams potential but I didnt have much expectation overall coming into this season.

But 7-5 with some really nice wins and hopefully/should be a bowl on top of it. And yeah the Kent finish was awful but the way they responded, especially Patterson with 11 TDs over the final 2 games made me completely over that fast.

The rushing attack was incredible. I never thought I would have fun watching a team that ran the ball this much but so many exciting runs for Patterson and Marks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zigo230 said:

Lance is solid and he's the best thing for UB.   Again, this is a hard program to keep consistently winning.  He runs a good program here.

Agreed.  I think at this point we should expect some staff turnover given what they turned the season into.  Wonder if the OC will get any looks from other programs.  Would be  good fit anywhere.

I have mixed feelings about Leipold and company.  I'm like others here where I'm pleasantly pleased about how this season has gone overall. One where I didn't think they'd be as competitive after losing so many pieces on offense.  I could tell from the start that Lance and company really wanted to emphasize running the ball and it seems like they finally have the pieces they need.  They seem to have started a system of cranking out offensive linemen that will allow them to do so.  The defense has improved.  I like how they designed an offense that took pressure away from Vantrease needing to carry things.  If you can run the ball like this, it's hard to lose.  Heck, they even ran effectively on Penn State. The coaches should be proud of the good job they've done with these things.

At the same time, it's hard to overlook some the game decisions made.  The collapses in the title game last year and the Kent game this year.  Why did so many guys on offense leave the program after last year?  As nice as 7-5 feels in a year with limited expectations, man I can't overlook how the Ohio game ended and the Kent game, with which they would've had a shot at the MAC East title in a mediocre year for the conference.  I kept thinking all year this team isn't that bad, but it's not that good either...I can't look at Leipold's time here so far without balancing the good and the bad.  Just like I have to recognize that we've seen much, much, MUCH worse - so should I just shut up and be mildly happy?

I had to work yesterday so I caught the stream at my desk, then lost it. So I started listening to the BGSU play by play. It reminded me of the UB calls from 15-20 years ago, no energy, feeling bad of the Sr's, few underclassmen bright spots to discuss. They were conceding there was no way Marks was not going to reach 1000 yards by end of game and began talking of Michigan-tOSU instead. I made me appreciate how our team found their identity and ran with it. 49 points in back to back games to seal the deal. The what-if's persist for me too, but are balanced by thinking of our 2-4 start and losing some hope for a bowl bid. I'm already trying to hold back feeling so pumped for 2020, because of key redshirts.

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly

17 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

I'm already trying to hold back feeling so pumped for 2020, because of key redshirts.

I will always have trouble getting overly pumped prior to upcoming seasons after what we went through last off-season. Until we know if a) the coach is back and b) we don't get pillaged by "big" schools for transfers, I'll hold off. I certainly didn't expect this year's team to get to 7 wins, so I'll admit that I was wrong with my prediction heading into this season. Is it me or are there many MAC teams that are just ridiculously bad though? Maybe it's just Akron and BG staying in my recent memory, but they were pathetic at best. It's kind of odd seeing all of the teams being very tight with regard to record, with those 2 exceptions. All 3 of UB's MAC losses could've been wins (especially 2 of them), which makes the 3-way tie for 2nd place in the East harder to stomach.

Credit to UB on getting to 7 wins. Credit to the starting players who didn't transfer out this past off-season. Credit to the back-ups from last year who worked hard in the off-season to take over for last year's departing starters. Credit to the coaching staff (who get criticized often on here). Credit to the University as they've certainly put a ton of resources into football in the last few years (fieldhouse being #1, followed up by all of the upgrades to the offices, food/diet room, video room, trainer's/rehab facilities, not to mention the increased $ for coaching salaries). The increased $ certainly is showing in the W/L columns in many of the sports (especially in football and basketball).

• Like 1