Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MAC could be a dogfight

51 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Just looked at KenPom and there are currently a lot of teams in the MAC all ranked at the same level.  These are all basically toss ups.

75 - Toledo

100 - Buffalo

104 - Ball State

105 - Bowling Green

108 - Kent State

118 - Akron

I think it’s too early to put much value into the analytics. Only bc most MAC teams have played non D1 opponents. We are guilty of that. And games like that skew the numbers. But I do agree the MAC will be a dogfight. Toledo and BG look good so far. As does Ohio. Gonna be tougher than years past mainly because we are younger. 

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I think it’s too early to put much value into the analytics. Only bc most MAC teams have played non D1 opponents. We are guilty of that. And games like that skew the numbers. But I do agree the MAC will be a dogfight. Toledo and BG look good so far. As does Ohio. Gonna be tougher than years past mainly because we are younger. 

Speaking of that, Central Michigan’s schedule so far would be easy for most prep schools to do well with. Wonder if they forgot that they’re a D1 team

8 minutes ago, 961819 said:

I’ve met plants that could probably get into Akron 

Akron is a weird school.  On one hand, it has one the best polymer science programs in the world.  Fantastic amounts of industrial-relevant innovations and research rolling out small companies.   

On the other hand, it offers Associates degree programs in many areas, kind of like a community college.  

So...those plants you refer to may be able to get into some programs at Akron, but not others...unless they were really smart plants.

• Haha 2

The commentators on the Harvard-Buffalo game were saying that Buffalo was going to win the MAC without a doubt. I wasn't sure if they were just trying to hype up the game due to it being in Toronto. It certainly made me feel good. 

I think Ohio might be one of the best teams in the MAC East. Young team but they are going down the right path. They will be much better in March.

1 hour ago, BullsFan14 said:

The commentators on the Harvard-Buffalo game were saying that Buffalo was going to win the MAC without a doubt. I wasn't sure if they were just trying to hype up the game due to it being in Toronto. It certainly made me feel good. 

I think Ohio might be one of the best teams in the MAC East. Young team but they are going down the right path. They will be much better in March.

Agree, Ohio is dangerous. I also thought the announcers for the Harvard game were really good. They seemed like they did their homework on both teams. One of them did say that if we find out roles we should win the MAC, which I agree with. A+ broadcast. 

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Agree, Ohio is dangerous. I also thought the announcers for the Harvard game were really good. They seemed like they did their homework on both teams. One of them did say that if we find out roles we should win the MAC, which I agree with. A+ broadcast. 

Glad to hear the broadcast was good, I was at the game and didn’t hear it but watched the Furman V Alabama game last night on ESPN+ and the announcers talked like Alabama was the best team to ever step on a basketball court.  Zero talk of how well Furman was playing 

2 hours ago, 961819 said:

Glad to hear the broadcast was good, I was at the game and didn’t hear it but watched the Furman V Alabama game last night on ESPN+ and the announcers talked like Alabama was the best team to ever step on a basketball court.  Zero talk of how well Furman was playing 

Speaking of their broadcast...wow is it a tough listen. I feel like the announcers don’t even know they players names. The analysts is terrible. Feels like he’s 90, it takes him forever to get a thought out. Just watch one broadcast and it’s further evidence that they only care about football.

7 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

I was following BGSU, Cincy blew it, BGSU kept hacking wisely because the Bearcats hit 31-55 from the line! Justin Turner went out with a hammy. BGSU has Dartmouth up next.

Not quiet yet. Bowling Green has Nevada up next in the Paradise Jam championship game. Even if they win their OOC schedule probably isn't strong enough to build an at-large resume but pretty good showing thus far. It should be an excellent field for the MAC tournament this year. 

1 hour ago, clodney said:

Can anyone explain to me how a team can be ranked #97 after starting the season 5-1 with wins over #42 and #85 and their only loss coming on the road against #34? Kenpom's calculations are garbage to midmajors.

Kenpom's rankings factor in the preseason ratings for the first two months of the season so I'm assuming Bowling Green is being held back because of that

1 hour ago, cheese_66 said:

Kenpom's rankings factor in the preseason ratings for the first two months of the season so I'm assuming Bowling Green is being held back because of that

Also the analytics tend to be off just a bit in the early season as more data is generated. Numbers can be skewed, especially when teams play against high school squads.

2 hours ago, clodney said:

Can anyone explain to me how a team can be ranked #97 after starting the season 5-1 with wins over #42 and #85 and their only loss coming on the road against #34? Kenpom's calculations are garbage to midmajors.

What @cheese_66 said.

To prevent teams rankings from jumping up and down 50 places based on one game (making the rankings meaningless), the pre-season ranking is factored in an every day the weight of the pre-season ranking is reduced and the actual results only ranking has more weight.

Even if there were no games played for any team on a day the rankings would change a little for that day as the pre-season weight is reduced.  In January the rankings are purely based on this season's results only.

That is actually why our Bulls are so high... You might have noticed we didn't drop a lot when Dartmouth beat us.