Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

It can be done...

DooleyBull06

2 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I wonder if the school is funding it or if they secured money from a donor.

Jacksonville played in the final four and national championship game in 1970.  So college kids that remember that would be about 70 years old today which is the age you see a lot of donations to schools.

I’m gonna guess a donor, said they’ve been securing donations for years leading up to this point. 

4 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Jacksonville played in the final four and national championship game in 1970.  So college kids that remember that would be about 70 years old today which is the age you see a lot of donations to schools.

The article says the athletic department fundraised for years and had investors. Including a multi million dollar investment.

This type of fundraising effort should have already been underway at UB. Hopefully we can secure a donor much like we did for the football team.

9 minutes ago, rma said:

We already have a top notch facility.  It's just shared with students.  Get students out of AA (expect the actual arena).

I’d like to see it not shared with students and then massively renovated. Make it feel more modern and sleek, currently the painted cinderblock hallways could use covering up. Pouring money into renovating and modernizing AA is likely more realistic than building a new arena/practice facility 

The plan that has been discussed internally (and a bit publicly I believe) is building a new student recreation center for intramurals located north of the bookstore. That will free up alumni to be renovated as a hub for varsity athletics. Triple Gym I assume would become basketball central. Let's hope this is a 5 year and not a 10 year project.

3 hours ago, MuchMany said:

The plan that has been discussed internally (and a bit publicly I believe) is building a new student recreation center for intramurals located north of the bookstore. That will free up alumni to be renovated as a hub for varsity athletics. Triple Gym I assume would become basketball central. Let's hope this is a 5 year and not a 10 year project.

I really hope this happens. Makes the most financial sense and Alumni has the bones to be a truly state-of-the-art facility once it gets renovated and doesn’t have prison cinderblock walls everywhere 

3 hours ago, 961819 said:

I really hope this happens. Makes the most financial sense and Alumni has the bones to be a truly state-of-the-art facility once it gets renovated and doesn’t have prison cinderblock walls everywhere 

I thought they did well with the way they put graphics up. The AA lobby and area near the locker rooms used to be all plain. Now it has a ton of school spirit and shows the legacy of the program.

I am slightly biased though, my SO has her picture on the wall. 

24 minutes ago, rma said:

I thought they did well with the way they put graphics up. The AA lobby and area near the locker rooms used to be all plain. Now it has a ton of school spirit and shows the legacy of the program.

I am slightly biased though, my SO has her picture on the wall. 

Definitely agree with them making progress, there’s also a lot of room for improvement and that starts with making AA sports only 

14 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Definitely agree with them making progress, there’s also a lot of room for improvement and that starts with making AA sports only 

Yep. Do teams still run sprints in the AA hallways by the CFA tunnel? Hoping that the Fieldhouse may have eliminated some of that.

52 minutes ago, rma said:

Yep. Do teams still run sprints in the AA hallways by the CFA tunnel? Hoping that the Fieldhouse may have eliminated some of that.

I haven’t seen that being done at all, probably right with the field house being used for that. 

Imagine the level of recruits we’d be able to attract once the team gets a dedicated practice space for them that they can access 24/7. If we’re bringing in 3 and 4 stars without that dedicated space just imagine.

2 hours ago, 961819 said:

(while I agree with a dedicated facility)   Just to play the other side of the coin... In an attempt to further build the fan base, I think it is good to have the newer school spirit promos located where students would see during daily life (intramural/recreation)... not just during sporting events.

2 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

(while I agree with a dedicated facility)   Just to play the other side of the coin... In an attempt to further build the fan base, I think it is good to have the newer school spirit promos located where students would see during daily life (intramural/recreation)... not just during sporting events.

No I completely agree with that as well. From a business standpoint it would benefit them to have a dedicated recreation center built that they can load up with event promotions. Students that are willing to take the time to work out also are likely to have an interest in other things to do around campus like the various sporting events 

Edited by 961819
Typos
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 2:32 PM, dutchcountry7 said:

I remember it and am not near 70.

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

I remember it and am not near 70.

I meant the kids who were students at Jacksonville at the time that the team played in the Final Four.

They would have been about 20 years old in 1970.  And that was 50 years ago, so they would be about 70 today. 

And that is the age most people retire and people who have accumulated some wealth start focusing on their legacy giving.

9 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I meant the kids who were students at Jacksonville at the time that the team played in the Final Four.

They would have been about 20 years old in 1970.  And that was 50 years ago, so they would be about 70 today. 

And that is the age most people retire and people who have accumulated some wealth start focusing on their legacy giving.

Maybe members of the last Ohio MAC Football Champion squad are planning some of their legacy giving as well.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 9:36 AM, MuchMany said:

This has been discussed internally for 20 years or so. For some reason there hasn't been a desire to take it on. To me it is a no-brainer. You get something special for the student population (not just intramurals, but weight room with other amenities) and a basketball only facility for the men's and women's hoops. Many schools bought into enhanced facilities for their students 20 or more years ago from small colleges/universities to the  behemoths. Someone has to make it a priority and the lead on this. And for those who haven't been in the loop on prior discussions on this topic, there have been numerous times in the past when bball players had zero access to either AA or the triple gym because they were in use for other activities.

8 minutes ago, UB85 said:

This has been discussed internally for 20 years or so. For some reason there hasn't been a desire to take it on. To me it is a no-brainer. You get something special for the student population (not just intramurals, but weight room with other amenities) and a basketball only facility for the men's and women's hoops. Many schools bought into enhanced facilities for their students 20 or more years ago from small colleges/universities to the  behemoths. Someone has to make it a priority and the lead on this. And for those who haven't been in the loop on prior discussions on this topic, there have been numerous times in the past when bball players had zero access to either AA or the triple gym because they were in use for other activities.

Right on. I know it is being discussed more now than at any point in recent memory, so fingers crossed it will be fully realized.

To your second point, Gabe Grant was on Instagram the night before a recent game posting videos in disbelief that he couldn't get shots up in Alumni.

23 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Right on. I know it is being discussed more now than at any point in recent memory, so fingers crossed it will be fully realized.

To your second point, Gabe Grant was on Instagram the night before a recent game posting videos in disbelief that he couldn't get shots up in Alumni.

This is my personal belief and I could be wrong here but I just have a feeling that President Tripathi doesn’t care enough about sports to actually take any action towards a student rec center