Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Pro Soccer in Buffalo

rma

https://buffalonews.com/2019/11/19/developers-hope-10000-seat-stadium-could-bring-united-soccer-league-to-buffalo/

If the USL didn't require soccer-specific stadiums, UB Stadium could be renovated to be the perfect venue for the USL team.  UB gets rid of the track and has better sign lines.  USL team gets a larger venue and club seats.

These stadiums usually run $20m-$30m, and it looks like they may be trying to obtain public funds.

As someone who lives in Rochester, where we have an empty soccer specific stadium, my advice is to don't build it. Public funds were used to build the stadium in hopes that the Rhinos would end up in MLS and it was a colossal failure. Marina Auto Stadium opened with much hype but quickly fizzled out and in the long run the Rhinos should have probably stayed sharing Frontier Field with the Red Wings. The stadium reminded me of a mini UB stadium - Basically concrete and metal bleachers and not a whole lot of amenities.

If professional soccer is really a dream for Buffalo, I think New Era Field, UB Stadium or Coca-Cola Field would be more than adequite options.

• Like 2

Completely agree.  I don't think the owners can expect public funds for a soccer specific stadium.  As with nearly every public subsidy with sports stadiums, it will not generate nearly enough tax revenue to cover the subsidy.  It looks like attendance for the Rinos has fizzled out as well.

I think the USL is pretty greedy/ridiculous for wanting a soccer specific stadium for teams when the average team only draws a few thousand spectators.  It would be one thing if the league was more stable, but I see this being a huge money pit. 

• 2 weeks later...