Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

How the Other Half Lives in the Gicewicz Club

BrooklynBull

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

By the way, if anyone on the current staff of the Spectrum reads this PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look at the old Spectrums and try to get close to what it used to be.

Judging from the numerous awards they’ve won over the last decade, it’s actually pretty good now. I remember a multi page story from 5 years ago about the illegal fraternities and sororities which would be an impressive story for a local news station, let alone a college newspaper with unpaid/minimally paid students.

On 11/25/2019 at 3:16 PM, BrooklynBull said:

The Spectrum was wrong. 

Or maybe you’re asking for a downgrade in journalism, I can’t tell....

20 hours ago, BRJACR75 said:

So Brook, this still doesnt add up.  Thats Gary running track there, thats Gary's mention in the write up.  Again, directly from the Buff State year book dated 1978.

This picture tells us he ran track at Buff State in 1977 at least, we know he was at UB from 1978 - 1980 according to the Media Guide (I actually have an old media guide with his picture (same guy above) in the UB Letterman for Q.  If you need proof, flip through the 2012 UB Media Guide online, its easy to find.

Im not doubting he was at Indiana, I just having trouble reconciling that with the provided documentation Ive been able to find and the data and timing doesnt add up.

So as it stands, the timeline of Gary

Spring 1976 - Graduated from Cardinal Dougherty High School in Buffalo

Spring 1977 - On Buff States Track team

Fall 1977-Spring1978 - ???????? Ive yet to find anything mentioning Gary Quatrani at Indiana University Track and/or Football, which includes Indiana Arbutus Yearbooks, Indiana Football records, rosters, team photos.   I just want to find something to make this answer make sense

Fall 1978 - Playing Football at UB

See the post from BRJCAR75 from yesterday at 10:33 that has a mention to a Spectrum article from 9-15-78 that has him transferring from Indiana.

19 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

See the post from BRJCAR75 from yesterday at 10:33 that has a mention to a Spectrum article from 9-15-78 that has him transferring from Indiana.

What B is saying is that there appears to be no proof that he was ever at Indiana outside of that spectrum article. He doesn’t appear in any year books, any Indiana record books, nothing except that spectrum article.  So either he was there, and left no trace, or he lied about attending Indiana when he really attended Buff St. 

Before I attended UB, I marched in the Ohio State Marching Band but transferred to UB. Unfortunately there’s no record of that anywhere but it surely was an impressive story to tell!

51 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

I know what I wrote.  The Spectrum has him transferring from both Buff State AND Indiana literally 7 days apart in two different editions.  So would you not agree theres a conflict there with the information from the Spectrum?

Plus, again, Ive provided enough evidence placing Gary at Buff State at least in 1977

Again...Im just trying to find out how Indiana figures into this if theres no record (other than a conflicting source, the Spectrum) of Gary being at Indiana. 

The reason why this matters to me, is I would HOPE, that UB, in doing a Trivia contest for special seating would make it possible for everybody to have an equal shot at winning, not just those who personally knew the guy or was given the answer by somebody who knew it.  Ive researched this for three days in a row now, and there isnt anything readily available (other than the spectrum article, which is conflicted) for somebody to give an answer of "Indiana" without flat out guessing.   So from the outside in, this contest looks like it was designed for only a certain few to be able to win.

4 hours ago, BRJACR75 said:

I know what I wrote.  The Spectrum has him transferring from both Buff State AND Indiana literally 7 days apart in two different editions.  So would you not agree theres a conflict there with the information from the Spectrum?

Plus, again, Ive provided enough evidence placing Gary at Buff State at least in 1977

Again...Im just trying to find out how Indiana figures into this if theres no record (other than a conflicting source, the Spectrum) of Gary being at Indiana. 

The reason why this matters to me, is I would HOPE, that UB, in doing a Trivia contest for special seating would make it possible for everybody to have an equal shot at winning, not just those who personally knew the guy or was given the answer by somebody who knew it.  Ive researched this for three days in a row now, and there isnt anything readily available (other than the spectrum article, which is conflicted) for somebody to give an answer of "Indiana" without flat out guessing.   So from the outside in, this contest looks like it was designed for only a certain few to be able to win.

I hope they may have been just trying to give the tickets to an old-timer who actually knew him.  

1 hour ago, ChicagoBull said:

I hope they may have been just trying to give the tickets to an old-timer who actually knew him.  

Then just do that instead of doing a twitter trivia contest...see how easy that is.

And honestly, The first people that came to mind who deserved to win were the old timers that sat around me before we got dislodged from those seats.  I’ve been going for 13 seasons now, but some of those people has been a lot longer than that.

Edited by BRJACR75