Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Charleston Classic - Buffalo vs. Towson (11/22 @ 7:00PM)

Jeseph

Just now, xDerekRx said:

The Williams foul aside, what a finish. Incredible win to have. 

When they went up 69-62 with under 2 minutes I thought no way. But the pressure the bulls put on was impressive. 

I always wondered why oats refused to press. With the players we had last season I thought we were perfectly suited for it. Glad to see it work so well tonight 

1 minute ago, UB05 said:

I always wondered why oats refused to press. With the players we had last season I thought we were perfectly suited for it. Glad to see it work so well tonight 

We should press at random points in games. Can’t do it always but when it’s well timed it’s effective. And I’m a big fan of applying token pressure as a team brings the ball into the front court. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

A frustrating victory but a victory nonetheless. Great close out to end the game, minus Jeenathan’s dumb foul, but still much to work on. The boys earned a day off tomorrow. Let’s get Missouri St. now. 

It was nice to steal that one even if it wasn't pretty and it was basically won with the pressure in the last 2 minutes. 

I'm not super concerned with the ooc record with so much change in the off season. But I'll admit I'd been a bit down after a decent UConn performance if we put up an L against Towson

Wow what an ugly game looked like it was going to get away but the full court press got us the win right there. We shot terrible once again, but was able to turn them over 22 times which is reason we won. I’m glad Whitesell benched Johnson he was terrible. Give credit to Jordan, Graves and Mballa who had solid games. We are too thin on the front line it showed in both these games in Charleston. On to the next but if we play like this against Missouri state, mark it as a loss.

1 minute ago, xDerekRx said:

I'm not super concerned with the ooc record with so much change in the off season.

I’m not concerned with it either but I want to see progress and development. 5 games in I haven’t seen that from Johnson and Grant. We need them. Hopefully they shake of the rust. I think we’ve learned that our best lineup is Mballa, Graves, Williams, Segu and Jordan. But they can’t play 40 minutes a night. Hardnett showed improvement in two games so far. Nickelberry looks lost. Keep plugging away and growing.

8 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Johnson should be used as a spot shooter, have him run around screens, catch and shoot. Or get him the ball while he is moving/slashing. He is an off ball guard. Has struggled when running point

I agree. We have two dynamic playmakers in Rondo and Jordan. Johnson is a shooting guard who can create space when needed with his dribble but he shouldn’t have to run point. 

32 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Did anyone notice that when the fans for the UCONN game arrived they cheered for us or was just that me?

Noticed it immediately and really liked that. Earned respect from me (not that that matters) and I’m now very happy watching them beat Xavier for multiple reasons but mostly because them beating us and going on to have a great season only helps to make us look better for playing them so closely 

• Like 2

It’s premature to go all freaky over Johnson and others. I remember doing the same with Willie Conner and Blake Hamilton during November and December. Neither seemed to me at the time that they’d be helpful.  Boy was I wrong. Hopefully as Johnson and others get more comfortable their gamers will likewise come along.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

we’ve learned that our best lineup is Mballa, Graves, Williams, Segu and Jordan

Would definitely agree there. Definitely need a couple of the other guys to carve out big roles for us to have success. 

There have been a couple games so far where I thought Johnson was going to be the guy but then games like this or even most of the Uconn game where hes chucking some awful shots.

Hardnett is another guy in my head I just pictured having an impact right away. Probably not fair but I still have hope, its early.

We have had good success with Jucos in the past so I always expect one to be an impact player.

Of the transfers/Juco bunch Mballa I wasn't sure what to expect but hes basically the guy down low that we are going to lean on all year and Ive been impressed.

42 minutes ago, UB85 said:

It’s premature to go all freaky over Johnson and others. I remember doing the same with Willie Conner and Blake Hamilton during November and December. Neither seemed to me at the time that they’d be helpful.  Boy was I wrong. Hopefully as Johnson and others get more comfortable their gamers will likewise come along.  

Yeah I don’t think people freaky over Johnson, Just disappointed with his inconsistency and basketball IQ right now. I think he’ll be fine but he got to stop taking these contested shots and move the ball. He’s not comparable to Blake or Willie cause both those guys came from the juco ranks so it was kind of expected there would be a period of transition w them. This guy played d1 for 3 years at Middle Tennessee . He’s gotta make the extra pass when guys are in his face, period. Some of these other guys haven’t really played at this level, like Hardnett since he redshirted and Nickleberry to so kind of figured would be adjustment there.

I have been saying it for a few games now coach needs to unleash the press.  I understand his hesitancy this weekend to use it for extended periods as we have 3 games in 4 days.  He has been u players consistently.  I think it is time to unleash the press for periods at a time.  We have the personnel to create turnovers and easy buckets in the full court press.  The press won us that game last night.

That was a very deflating game last night.  After a hard fought loss to a tough UConn team I think we all thought we were headed in the right direction.  Last night we play a weaker Towson team and almost let it get away because of poor shot selection and dreadful shooting.  Johnson and Grant at this point do not deserve minutes.  Grant cannot defend, rebound or hit a shot.  He is a spot up shooter nothing more. Johnson, struggles to defend quicker guards and has some of the worst shot selection I have ever seen in a player.  I cannot believe the bad shots he takes and typically at the wrong time in the game.  Kudos to coach for benching him last night after a disaster of a 1 for 12 performance.  

I agree with most of the comments that clearly our best lineup is Jordan, Segu, Graves, Williams and Mballa.  Those 5 have been relatively consistent minus some silly plays by Williams, that foul last night at the end of the game being one of them.  I think this lineup is dynamic, they can get to the rim and they can also shot it,  Segu is going to be special.  You heard it here first, Segu will be the first player from UB to play in the NBA for a long time after his 4 years here at Buffalo.  He has the tools for the next level if he continues to develop.  He has the length needed to make an NBA roster as long as he continues to fill out.  He has an ability to create for himself or others that you cannot coach.  Mballa needs to be able to find a balance where he can play aggressively without fouling.  He will figure it out.  So far I have been impressed with him and his effort on both ends.  Graves hit some big shots last night.  That three in the corner when we were down with under 2 to go was huge, that's the type of shot a leader takes and makes.  Jordan needs to continue to attack off the dribble, look to get to the rim or drop off as he did with great success last night.  Williams is a work in progress.  He shows flashes of what he will become.  Williams has a bright future and we need to play him to allow him to develop.  He has limited his bad shots for the most part this year which is a good sign moving forward.  I have been impressed with his defense and his ability to defend quicker guards.  I love what I see from him on the offensive glass but would still like to see more from him on the defensive rebounding side.

Hardnett and Nickelberry to me are the wild cards of this team.  If they can continue to develop this team will continue to grow.  We need both of their abilities to rebound .  Both of them are far superior defenders than Johnson and Grant are.  As the season goes along I suspect these two will continue to take minutes from Grant and Johnson.  Grant and Johnson are one dimensional players that can only bring so much to this team.

Having Brock and Fagan out is really hurting this team in the interior.  We are putting a lot of pressure on MBalla and Hardnett.  Coach may need to consider not red shirting Skogman if Brock is out for an extended amount of time.  Dominic Johnson may be able to help for a few minutes per game once football season is over but that may not be for a while.   

I remain confident in this team.  I love the defensive effort and passion they are playing with. I am confident this coaching staff and the veterans on this team will figure it out and we will continue to improve as the season goes along.  This season is all about playing our best basketball for 3 days in Cleveland.  The entire season is about getting to that point.  Our record and such are not too important as long as we play well by seasons end.  I think this team will continue to work hard, gel as a unit and figure out their roles and responsibilities.  I look forward to Sunday and the rest of the season.  GO Bulls!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1