Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

William & Mary @ Buffalo (11/30 @ 2:00 PM)

Jeseph

11 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

I wonder if this extended injury will factor into next year’s roster.  Some fans have speculated whether Brock will graduate, or come back to the team next year.  So, will this translate to the feeling of  ‘unfinished business’, and him more likely to return.  Or, will it feel like ‘the end of the line’, and him more likely to hang ‘em up?

I’m not gonna be surprised if he leaves after this year. Which in all honesty, might be good for us. Another scholarship opens up, and we can explore the transfer portal. At this point, we will probably need 2 forwards or a forward and a taller wing. 

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:43 AM, Ivantheturrible said:

We definitely need some size.  This years roster is missing big players in the post pretty bad.  Has there been any update as to when Brock may return?

A little off topic - but on topic of having more size on the team. I was looking at stats of recruits that left and see that Andre Allen has played very little for Arizona State

image.png.c28623b2e3e2af568d616011b58d3a91.png

Does anyone know if this is due to:

a.) He was not really the eleventh best JUCO recruit.

b.) Arizona State is that deep at power forward that they can't find time for him despite him being a good power forward - perhaps implying Allen would have been better off staying with UB

c.) Andre Allen is injured.

Was thinking 'what-if' he opted to keep his commitment, how that might have provided size depth. Then I thought, if he stayed, would we have still picked up Mballa.  If it was an either or - the Bulls appear to have got an upgrade.

27 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

A little off topic - but on topic of having more size on the team. I was looking at stats of recruits that left and see that Andre Allen has played very little for Arizona State

I can’t speak as to the reason for Allen but in general, I think guys like him and Hawkins and Noah Williams are realizing the grass isn’t greener in major conference b-ball. Big men usually take longer to develop so that could be the case. As for Hawkins and Williams they are also freshmen. But the main point I’m making is that they could’ve been impact players sooner at UB whereas they are role players where they are. And that’s  bc at schools like ASU and Bama every recruit is a 4 star or better. And those schools are always recruiting for someone better than you. 

On the flip side guys like Hamlet and Reese are seeing big minutes over at North Texas.

42 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

b.) Arizona State is that deep at power forward that they can't find time for him despite him being a good power forward - perhaps implying Allen would have been better off staying with UB

Was thinking 'what-if' he opted to keep his commitment, how that might have provided size depth. Then I thought, if he stayed, would we have still picked up Mballa.  If it was an either or - the Bulls appear to have got an upgrade.

I noticed that about his playing time too. I try not to think about the what if’s too much because it just turns into a chain reaction of what ifs regarding players we do have like Hardnett or Mballa. I do wonder though if the players that decommitted regret it. Like you said, Allen isn’t getting any playing time, neither is Hawkins in Alabama. Maybe they understand that it’ll come in time at a P5 school or maybe they were made false promises. Chances are they would have both been day one starters here. Still happy with the team we have now though. 

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

I watched the ASU game last night (as I always try to watch ASU or Alabama when they're on) and thought about Allen during the game. He's a junior and as you showed with the statistics, is getting no playing time. At this time, it appears as though he would've gotten a far greater opportunity at UB. The grass isn't always greener on the other side as many guys have seen over the years.

Welcome @TheBully. Enjoy your time at UB. Get involved and have fun.

13 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

At this time, it appears as though he would've gotten a far greater opportunity at UB.

Completely agree. I was looking forward to him playing with Segu, Graves and Jordan. Can't blame him for leaving due to a coaching change. From a recruiting stand point, I think UB is in a great position. Buffalo started getting some brand recognition and some are saying they will win the MAC again. I can see some solid JUCO's coming in next year.

Back to William and Mary, how do you stop Knight? I feel as if he is scoring 20 minimum against us. 

5 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

Back to William and Mary, how do you stop Knight? I feel as if he is scoring 20 minimum against us. 

Defend without fouling. It’s imperative that Mballa not get into foul trouble. Outside of that send different looks his way. Meaning double down or front him. I wouldn’t mind letting them play through him as long as we don’t crash in on him and give them open 3s. If they play through him that could mean a slower pace to defend and limited possessions for them assuming we rebound well. 

Just posted my full game preview for this tilt on my site. I think Knight will have a nice day, and probably Van Vliet too, but I'm fine with it. UB has a serious advantage at guard, and this team will have a really hard time defending us due to lack of overall speed and athleticism. Just don't give them wide open looks at 3 like DooleyBull06 said, and we should be able to run over this team. They are shooting at an unsustainable clip, I expect some regression

1 hour ago, UBCourtside said:

Just posted my full game preview for this tilt on my site. I think Knight will have a nice day, and probably Van Vliet too, but I'm fine with it. UB has a serious advantage at guard, and this team will have a really hard time defending us due to lack of overall speed and athleticism. Just don't give them wide open looks at 3 like DooleyBull06 said, and we should be able to run over this team. They are shooting at an unsustainable clip, I expect some regression

Nice preview agree with most your points there. Just hope your right about Johnson, been a big disappointment so far, 30% from the field not gonna cut it. I think he turns it around eventually, but it better happen soon- not so much for this game, but for the two following it we will need him to perform if we going to come out with wins. Williams also looked good last game, hopefully shows some more consistency there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ubbulls84 said:

Nice preview agree with most your points there. Just hope your right about Johnson, been a big disappointment so far, 30% from the field not gonna cut it. I think he turns it around eventually, but it better happen soon- not so much for this game, but for the two following it we will need him to perform if we going to come out with wins. Williams also looked good last game, hopefully shows some more consistency there.

Yeah I mean Johnson shot 57 for 153 (37.2%) from 3 in his career at Middle Tennessee. 25.6% this year is really low. I gotta think that starts to normalize. Well, I hope at least. 

2 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

If we can win these next two games we will see just how far the brand of ub basketball has come.

Wouldn't expect to be ranked or anything but a single vote would start to show the name recognition even if the vote was a throw away vote of sorts

DePaul will likely be ranked when we play them. Would def. get some looks if won both but one at a time for now.

12 minutes ago, Ubbulls84 said:

DePaul will likely be ranked when we play them. Would def. get some looks if won both but one at a time for now.

DePauls looking very good this year, if we come away with a win then we should be able to ride that momentum into conference play. I thought we handled W&M’s height rather well this game. 

My main takeaway from this one however is that this team is learning quickly and there weren’t any head scratching moments in this one where we gave up multiple offensive rebounds in a row. Showed flashes of the potential this team has 

Also Hardnett May not have filled up the stat sheet but he did his job very well in this one which is to give Mballa valuable rest time. His time will come but not until we get a true 5 so that he isn’t forced into a role he isn’t meant to be in

Edited by 961819
  • Like 1