Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Hawk Classic - UB Women

myBuffalo

Today at St. Joseph’s University at the Hagen Arena the UB women played Drexel University. I went with my two boys and enjoyed a very spirited and physical game in which the women prevailed. 
Dyasisha Fair who led the team in scoring is gonna be a star! Incredibly quick with the ball and in creating her own shot. 
We have a physical presence with Gaba, Christie, Adeyeye and Walters. 
Hanna Hall is as tenacious as anyone on the floor. 
And Onwuka does it all. 
Drexel had the CAA POtY in Greenberg and she was the best player on the court. 
They are a fun team and will do well, Coach Jack runs a nice program and really benefit if and when Summer Hemphill returns. She was in sweats and didn’t appear in any distress during warmups or on the bench. 
Looking forward to going tomorrow as they play American University at noon. 
Go Bulls!

Did you notice anything with Fair after the game?  Looks like she got injured (I was following the livestats so didn't see it).

If Fair is here for 4 years and continues the way that she looks the first....7(!!!) games of her career, she will easily be up there with Jonathan Jones and Khalil Mack as best to wear the blue and white in any sport.

13 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Imagine when Summer comes back.

Becoming concerned about Summer’s status?? Very happy and somewhat surprising how well UB has done so far with all the new players. I think it is a testament to how good Coach Jack and the entire coaching staff has adapted and can change their coaching philosophy based on the player’s abilities. Christie and Elba have a long way to go before becoming good players.Christie just shoots 3 pointers and has to learn to play inside with her 6’3’ frame. It looks like as Fair and Onwuka go so goes our success.If Coach Jack can get the other players to gain confidence in their abilities we can have a successful year. Can only hope Summer can get healthy. Go Bulls!!!!!

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Let's just red-shirt Summer. Imagine the team that would return next year...Wow! Kidding of course, but if she's hurt, let's give her another year and have one beast of a team next year. This year's team is looking like MAC top end as it stands.

You must have been reading my mind. I was thinking of red-shirt for Summer if she is hurt more than we are told.Go Bulls!!!!

Gaba had a fine game today. As for Summer...I have no idea where she is with her recovery timetable, but I don’t see any compelling reason to get her on the court until she is 100%.

Somehow I must have missed this: where is Finesse? Injured? Academic problems?

Edited by ubfan75
Typo

4 hours ago, John said:

You must have been reading my mind. I was thinking of red-shirt for Summer if she is hurt more than we are told.Go Bulls!!!!

Another very good win. Who would of thought 6-2 without Summer with a group of freshmen and others who did not really play a lot of minutes last year. Onwuka had another very efficient game. Fair only had 12 points with her first tough shooting game. Every game seems to have different players step up in supporting roles. Gaba had 12 points and 11 rebounds,Schaffer had 9 points and hit 3-5 from 3 point line, Hamilton had 8 points with 8 rebounds. Hope the fans come out to support this team and Go Bulls!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Imagine when Summer comes back.

So watching them play the last two games and seeing Summer in warmups and on the bench, she seemed uninhibited in any of her movements. Also, through very mild twitter investigating on Matt Mattia’s twitter page and his pre-weekend interview with Coach Jack where she said “We hope to have Summer back in a game or two,” to the next post practice interview she said that she was out of breath because she was racing Summer and in the background you could see Summer and maybe it’s teammate Zena running the length of the court and then doing broad jumps followed by mini-jumps. Although she didn’t look especially explosive, she did appear to be putting in work to get back. 
As a side, this team is good and young!

If Summer is back by conference play, that is fine in my book. Only 3 more non-conference games, 2 of which should definitely be wins even if Summer does not play. Dayton will be tough but I still like our chances at home.

MAC will probably not be a two bid league this season. Ohio probably has a chance at an at-large if they run through conference play and lose in Cleveland. If UB goes 9-2 before MAC play and can really turn it on in the conference I would give them an outside shot at a possible at-large.