Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo at Vanderbilt (12/3 @ 8 pm)

MaineBull

I never want us to be like Syracuse, ugh. Zone defenses by their nature tend to be finesse and seem to coax players into a softer passive style. As noted by dooleybull06 you lose the rebounding edge - bc you're playing an area and less able to box your man out. Good man defenses are aggressive and I think tend to juice a players competitive instincts. It can turn everything up a notch. A really good man D sometimes gets described as relentless, you'll never hear that said about a zone.

4 hours ago, blue said:

What is all this zone talk? I've never seen us play anything but man D. Now some here are suggesting we become something we're not. Syracuse's Boeheim can have his zone, I love our man to man. Cultivate your better self and don't try and be a chameleon. There's not enough time in the day - guaranteed way to lose!

Well that’s a losing mindset lol. We’re not suggesting they switch permanently to a zone defense, we’re suggesting they take advantage of a very obvious weakness in their opponents offensive scheme. Good teams game plan for their opponents and come out ready to do what it takes to get the win, and if that means playing a zone for small portions of this one game then so be it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, blue said:

I never want us to be like Syracuse, ugh. Zone defenses by their nature tend to be finesse and seem to coax players into a softer passive style. As noted by dooleybull06 you lose the rebounding edge - bc you're playing an area and less able to box your man out. Good man defenses are aggressive and I think tend to juice a players competitive instincts. It can turn everything up a notch. A really good man D sometimes gets described as relentless, you'll never hear that said about a zone.

You didn’t read a single listed reason about why a zone defense would be good in this game did you? Vanderbilt has shit themselves every single time their opponent switched into a zone 

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

Well that’s a losing mindset lol. We’re not suggesting they switch permanently to a zone defense, we’re suggesting they take advantage of a very obvious weakness in their opponents offensive scheme. Good teams game plan for their opponents and come out ready to do what it takes to get the win, and if that means playing a zone for small portions of this one game then so be it.

Be a little this, be a little that and call it innovating. I couldn't disagree with you more. Good teams are confident in who they are and their approach to winning  doesn't change with the wind. You don't attack an opponent from weakness (we don't play zone d) and say its because that's their weakness. You stay in character and keep getting better at what you do!  That's what the good programs do - they make their opposition defend their strengths. Over the past 6 years this approach seems to be working pretty well.

5 minutes ago, blue said:

Be a little this, be a little that and call it innovating. I couldn't disagree with you more. Good teams are confident in who they are and their approach to winning  doesn't change with the wind. You don't attack an opponent from weakness (we don't play zone d) and say its because that's their weakness. You stay in character and keep getting better at what you do!  That's what the good programs do - they make their opposition defend their strengths. Over the past 6 years this approach seems to be working pretty well.

That’s pretty inaccurate and I’m going to have to agree to disagree. Resistance to change over time and being stuck in your ways is how programs that have a glamorous past fade into irrelevancy. The fact that you’re opposed to the thought of strategically exploiting an opponents clear weakness is baffling as well

4 minutes ago, 961819 said:

That’s pretty inaccurate and I’m going to have to agree to disagree. Resistance to change over time and being stuck in your ways is how programs that have a glamorous past fade into irrelevancy. The fact that you’re opposed to the thought of strategically exploiting an opponents clear weakness is baffling as well

I'm talking to a rock. ok So now UB has been doing it all wrong. They need to be a little bit of everybody else - don't think so. But you saw 1 game and you now have all the answers on how to beat Vanderbilt. sure dude

3 minutes ago, blue said:

I'm talking to a rock. ok So now UB has been doing it all wrong. They need to be a little bit of everybody else - don't think so. But you saw 1 game and you now have all the answers on how to beat Vanderbilt. sure dude

Yes I’m definitely a rock 😂 I never said they were doing it all wrong, these were suggestions for ONE GAME and you’re thinking I mean for the whole season. Thank god you aren’t a coach 

6 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Yes I’m definitely a rock 😂 I never said they were doing it all wrong, these were suggestions for ONE GAME and you’re thinking I mean for the whole season. Thank god you aren’t a coach 

Turn it on and off like a faucet, like for just one game. Well we sure as heck know you're not coach but I wouldn't mind if you coached the opposition.

1 hour ago, squire17 said:

I’ve looked at upcoming events in the NCAAM basketball under ESPN+ and it lists the UB vs Vandy game as N SEC+
‘Guess I’ll find out at 8 tonight. Go Bulls!

My take is that it is produced by SECN+.  And, that network is part of the ESPN package, so you don't have to worry about not having SECN+ directly.  (I believe that it's actually part of ESPN3 {cable subscription}, which is then also part of ESPN+ {stand alone subscription} ).   So you should be able to watch the game if you have any of SECN+, ESPN3 or ESPN+.

1 minute ago, blue said:

Turn it on and off like a faucet, like for just one game. Well we sure as heck know you're not coach but I wouldn't mind if you coached the opposition.

I can’t be bothered to try to reason with someone that probably still owns a flip phone 

I see both points of view here. I'd consider zone more if we were considerably outmatched talent wise or if this one game meant more. I don't think this is a spot where we need to be changing our gameplan though. Our team has a bunch of good guards that can stay in front of people and we lack the length to maximize the benefits of a zone. If we need to change our whole defensive philosophy for a team that's grading out as a mid tier MAC team on the analytics sites then we're in for a long year lol. Anyway this game doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of our postseason hopes, it should be an opportunity for the team to grow in their identity. All that said it would be fun to see Whitesell sprinkle in the zone during ATOs if nothing else than to keep their inexperienced coach on his toes.

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

My take is that it is produced by SECN+.  And, that network is part of the ESPN package, so you don't have to worry about not having SECN+ directly.  (I believe that it's actually part of ESPN3 {cable subscription}, which is then also part of ESPN+ {stand alone subscription} ).   So you should be able to watch the game if you have any of SECN+, ESPN3 or ESPN+.

All I know is it was showing up on ESPN+ as an upcoming event so hopefully nothings changed

• Thanks 1

Definitely raising my hand in saying we werent talking about playing zone all the time. Simply pointing out that if, for some reason, our usual aggressive man to man doesn't work, this team has crumbled multiple times against zone. I also think there is a 0% chance we do it, but it doesn't hurt to bring it up as our opponents weakness

• Like 1

Just now, Kevin said:

Gabe Grant in, and now is -5 on the floor. 

He is a momentum killer. We need to limit his minutes as much as possible

I was really hoping that Grant and Johnson would have learned from last year's seniors about how important unselfish play and defensive intensity is. It does not seem like either of those stuck with them.

Just now, SGBull said:

I was really hoping that Grant and Johnson would have learned from last year's seniors about how important unselfish play and defensive intensity is. It does not seem like either of those stuck with them.

Grant is awful on the defensive side, and hes really bad when hes chucking and missing. 

Have to get him out. Now, -8 with him