Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ DePaul (12/8 @ 5 p.m. - FS1)

DocCas86

I guess I will get the ball rolling on this game.  This game shapes up to be the toughest game of the out of conference schedule.  Looking at rankings (barttorvik, kenpom and massey), DePaul average rank is #48, with a min of #74 and max of #19.  Their current record is 8-0 including wins against Iowa, Minnesota and Texas Tech.  I see spreads on the three sites of UB +5 to +11.  So since this is a tough match-up I will focus on things that I would like to see in this game:

Create turnovers / Get steals - DePaul has an average 14 turnovers a game.  The Bulls have been averaging 9 steals a game.  I look to get higher numbers on both in this game.

Shooting -- We need to improve upon performance in Vanderbilt game.  Steals could help lead to fast-breaks and higher percentage shots.  In addition they should strive to make the extra pass to increase chances of a make.  My hope is an eFG% at least 50%.  This will be tough as only one team has accomplished that this year against DePaul.  I would also like to see some improvement in FT% - push closer to 70%.  This may only make difference of 2 points but will be very important in a close game.

Offensive rebounds - We have been averaging close to 13 per game, second chance points will help make us competitive.

Turnovers - We have average 12.5 per game.  We turned the ball over too often in last game.  Keeping turnovers below our average should be goal.

These would be areas that I will be looking for improvement relative to Vanderbilt game.  I will be pulling for the win! Let's go Bulls!

• Jeseph pinned this topic

I’m not going to sit here and pretend DePaul is unbeatable. They aren’t. I’m not going to sit and here and pretend DePaul is a national power. They aren’t. Prior to this impressive start they were an underachieving team and their coach was on the hot seat. I’m not going to sit here and pretend DePaul isn’t good either. They are. That said I’m in agreement that this will be our toughest game yet. Maybe they suffer a let down after their big win against Texas Tech. Who knows. But what I know is they present the two biggest challenges that gives us fits. Length and athleticism. If we are in it with 5 minutes to go I will be happy. I don’t expect to win but a better showing and improvement from the Vandy game would be nice. 

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

I agree with you that we can win this game.  Sorry if I gave a different impression.  I was focused more on the development that I am hoping to see.  A win would be nice too

I’m not going at you. Sorry if I gave you that impression. I agree with your initial post. If we execute better in those areas you pointed out then we should compete. 

I think ub wins, some games we look great other games bad. We have been consistently inconsistent so far.

I also haven't been too impressed with DePaul, too me they're the yearly early over achieving team that will fall back. Think st. Johns last year and arizona State the year before

Good ub can win this game, bad ub can't

Edited by Tee4three
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Tee4three said:

I think ub wins, some games we look great other games bad. We have been consistently inconsistent so far.

I also haven't been too impressed with DePaul, too me they're the yearly early over achieving team that will fall back. Think st. Johns last year and arizona State the year before

Good ub can win this game, bad ub can't

I agree we need to be more consistent and 'good UB' consistent.  If that happens the Bulls can win this game.  Go Bulls.

We are about a 10 pt road dog today.  I actually expected a little more, considering how well DePaul has fared this year so far.  Maybe 14 or so.  

UB is well-rested, certainly, and I expect that DePaul need to recharge a little after such a tough stretch of games.

While I have no data on this, my gut seems to tell me that these lower profile Sunday evening games are a tough challenge for road teams.  Hopefully I am wrong.

There are many ways for UB to lose this matchup and relatively few paths to victory.  In the latter category, they need a good shooting game from Johnson and smart shot selection.  If they get that, I say they get under the number and have a chance (albeit small) for the victory.  Otherwise, I see this as an 80 something to 60 something affair...with UB on the short side of the ledger.

Go Bulls!