Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ DePaul (12/8 @ 5 p.m. - FS1)

DocCas86

What a win!! Arguably the best regular season win in school history considering what DePaul had done coming into the game, I’d put West Virginia last year slightly higher. Besides Johnson who just can’t get his shot going, everyone else had a solid game. They just couldn’t play with our speed. We out rebounded DePaul 53-40, would have never thought that was possible. Mballa had 14 boards and gave us a bunch of second chances which we took advantage of, he had no points but played great in my view. Segu was a stud, Jordan and Graves also solid as usual.  If we can just find a way to get Johnson and grant to get going we would be deadly. 

42 minutes ago, TheBully said:

Grant scares me every time he has the ball, can’t do much of anything unless it’s a clean drive to the hoop

Grant is terrible at basketball. I can't believe they played him down stretch. Jordan was so mad at him late. I've been so disappointed in him and Johnson this season. They shot 5 for 20 again.

Segu/Graves balled. Jordan was pretty good all day except missing his first four free throws before canning a huge 2. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UB92 said:

We are about a 10 pt road dog today.  I actually expected a little more, considering how well DePaul has fared this year so far.  Maybe 14 or so.  

UB is well-rested, certainly, and I expect that DePaul need to recharge a little after such a tough stretch of games.

While I have no data on this, my gut seems to tell me that these lower profile Sunday evening games are a tough challenge for road teams.  Hopefully I am wrong.

There are many ways for UB to lose this matchup and relatively few paths to victory.  In the latter category, they need a good shooting game from Johnson and smart shot selection.  If they get that, I say they get under the number and have a chance (albeit small) for the victory.  Otherwise, I see this as an 80 something to 60 something affair...with UB on the short side of the ledger.

Go Bulls!

This was on Graves and Segu and the defense.  It really is a great victory to take care of an unbeaten on their floor.  UB seemed a bit fresher and the DePaul foul shooting was atrocious.  While I was dubious about the low point spread, part of me felt (hoped?) UB would be competitive here owing to the fact that UB was more rested and DePaul may be tired/looking past UB to wonder what their rank would be on Monday!

The hard fought wins against Mo St and Towson helped at the end of the game.  Yeah...it seemed likely there would be a big run at the end and we certainly didn't help matters, but unlike Towson (who folded and allowed UB back), the Bulls gutted it out at the end.

Go Bulls.

Agree wasn't pretty, but a win is a win.  The Bulls played extremely hard, especially on the boards and creating turnovers (although it seemed DePaul helped them out some). Loved what I saw from Graves, Segu and Mballa.  Was also glad to see the overall performance from charity stripe.  UB shot 12-16 (75%) to 7-18 (39%). This was essentially the margin in the game.

14 minutes ago, UB92 said:

This was on Graves and Segu and the defense.  It really is a great victory to take care of an unbeaten on their floor.  UB seemed a bit fresher and the DePaul foul shooting was atrocious.  While I was dubious about the low point spread, part of me felt (hoped?) UB would be competitive here owing to the fact that UB was more rested and DePaul may be tired/looking past UB to wonder what their rank would be on Monday!

The hard fought wins against Mo St and Towson helped at the end of the game.  Yeah...it seemed likely there would be a big run at the end and we certainly didn't help matters, but unlike Towson (who folded and allowed UB back), the Bulls gutted it out at the end.

Go Bulls.

Do agree that it was a great win especially with this new makeup of players that are still learning how to play together. Unless we get big time improvement  of some players this might be how a lot of our games will be this year. Do agree that Grant and Johnson are major disappointments and just maybe the fact they have not played real games in over a year  might have something to do with their play. If they continue to shoot like they did today (5-20) and are turnover prone their playing time should decrease. But the question is who should replace them because really no other player has shown improvement. The last 5/6 minutes was really nerve wracking as UB had multiple turnovers, at times were taking shots with 10/12 seconds on the shot clock, some missed free throws and some questionable lineups. To UB’s credit they beat a good team who we might of caught at the right time after beating TT and maybe taking us lightly. A good time for UB to come home and get some rest and hopefully some good practices in . Looking forward to our next home game against Army. Go Bulls!!!!

What I liked:

Segu and Graves' competitiveness.  Team rebounding (especially Mballa) on both ends of the floor against a team that had a size advantage.  Jordan with a big 3 near the end, and Johnson with 2 big free throws near the end.  Nickelberry's vision for passes through traffic.  How there were guys out there who could keep their cool enough to see this one through.

What I didn't like:

Jordan's maddening inability to hit free throws.  That goes for others too but him in particular.  Johnson's shooting.  Grant and Williams' fumbly hands.  How the team got sloppy and plodding on offense against the zone down the stretch and allowed DePaul back into it, and that awful inbound near the end that almost allowed them a chance.

What I love:

A team that's growing week by week, guys finding their roles, and a big win for this team and this program on the road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zigo230 said:

Great win.  I hated that some people on social media were ripping the team after Vandy.  

This is how people are. Even on this message board. Even during our awesome years. All people want to do is complain complain complain. They can do whatever they want but what a waste of time.

If you've followed the team long enough you'll appreciate how awesome of a time we are living in the program history.

Its way more fun having a patient approach especially with this team. Lots of learning and geling to do.

I was letdown during the Vandy game but I know what the roster is capable of and was very excited about the DePaul game and the result was a pleasant surprise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lots of negativity in here considering we just beat an undefeated big east team that was one day away from being ranked. I think it’s official: we’re a spoiled fan base 🙂 The program has definitely come a long way in a short time 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, xDerekRx said:

This is how people are. Even on this message board. Even during our awesome years. All people want to do is complain complain complain. They can do whatever they want but what a waste of time.

I do agree. But this season, it’s frustrating to see a team who is so athletic and talented, beat themselves often. As someone who has witness 90’s and 00’s UB basketball, I’m certainly grateful for the last 5-6 years as it’s been the best. But I’ll always be critical because it’s okay to do, especially when one is passionate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

If you've followed the team long enough you'll appreciate how awesome of a time we are living in the program history.

Its way more fun having a patient approach especially with this team. Lots of learning and geling to do.

I was letdown during the Vandy game but I know what the roster is capable of and was very excited about the DePaul game and the result was a pleasant surprise.

Do agree It has been a awesome last few years and our family will always be proud supporters of our teams. We have to be patient with this team and enjoy each game and take the positives and the negatives as they come. Our family was in Cleveland for all our great wins and celebrations and we realize this really is a different team. Fans of Canisius and Niagara are suffering with attendance and support wavering and hope we never get to the point. Go Bulls!!!!

16 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I do agree. But this season, it’s frustrating to see a team who is so athletic and talented, beat themselves often. As someone who has witness 90’s and 00’s UB basketball, I’m certainly grateful for the last 5-6 years as it’s been the best. But I’ll always be critical because it’s okay to do, especially when one is passionate.

It is frustrating, I agree.  But keep in mind, arguably,  the top five players on the team are 1 senior, 1 junior and 3 sophomores.   Add in some promising freshman, and a recruiting class is shaping up nicely.  This team looks good enough to compete for the MAC championship and the future looks very bright.

Edited by DocCas86

10 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Im not negative myself but look it’s sports, your allowed to be negative when your team loses a game you thought they could win. And your allowed to be positive when they play well. That’s part of being a fan, I think majority on here are fine. Maybe one or two that are over the top but most are just fans that want to call it as they see it I got no problem w that.

• Like 1

Again I am reminded, I am so happy with the hire. 

People don’t realize how much Jim was behind last year’s success.  Frankly I would rather have this team than the recruits we had and the old staff.  Bama can have them.  We have the the guys with class in Buffalo and they are winners. 

26 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Again I am reminded, I am so happy with the hire. 

People don’t realize how much Jim was behind last year’s success.  Frankly I would rather have this team than the recruits we had and the old staff.  Bama can have them.  We have the the guys with class in Buffalo and they are winners. 

Overall on my go to ranking sites, torvik, kenpom and massey we are generally ranked lower than Alabama, but thought I would have a little fun and share this:

652925891_MasseyRanking12-8.JPG.ae27d630299a9a28351fbc70c2a7e4cc.JPG

This doesn't even factor in tonight's win.  In full transparency, Massey has ranked us higher than other two sites and they have the lowest ranking of the three sites for Alabama.  By the way I am pulling for Nate - this is more to concur with dc7 that team is doing well.

Edited by DocCas86

5 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Overall on my go to ranking sites, torvik, kenpom and massey we are generally ranked lower than Alabama, but thought I would have a little fun and share this:

This doesn't even factor in tonight's win.  In full transparency, Massey has ranked us higher than other two sites and they have the lowest ranking of the three sites for Alabama.  By the way I am pulling for Nate - this is more to concur with dc7 that team is doing well.

The system is set up for us to be ranked lower than Alabama. We (or most other "mid majors" have to win close to 30 games in order to make NCAAs, while teams like Alabama can go just over .500 and make it. How many 4/5star guys are on their roster? How much $$ is spent by them vs us? UB bball is doing a great job, men's and women's,  and have for several years, with this year being no exception. 

54 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I was looking at recruiting rankings and ub was one spot higher than Alabama. (Think it was rivals and we were 64 vs Alabama's 65). I got a laugh out of it

But back on topic of this game, once again the team shows tremendous potential. Just got to become more consistent.

They still have the most natural talent of any team in the mac. But having the most talent doesn't mean they will be the best team but it certainly helps.

Just watched the game. What a weird one. A microcosm of good Buffalo and bad Buffalo in 40 minutes. Learning lessons are easier to digest when you win. Glad the boys responded from the Vandy loss. This was a big win, as ugly and frustrating as it was. Lots of areas to improve on but the defense, rebounding, Graves and Segu really saved us tonight. Defense and rebound are effort plays and things that don’t take talent. I’m not going to dwell on the negatives, let’s enjoy this great win. Now we can build a nice little run here at home with very very winnable games. Go Bulls.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 961819 said:

They once again won’t stand out on a stat sheet but the minutes that both Hardnett and Nickelberry provided filled some pretty key stretches and allowed us to handle DePaul’s size advantage very well.

I could not agree more, Huge contributions!