Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ DePaul (12/8 @ 5 p.m. - FS1)

DocCas86

12 minutes ago, Bull_In_Exile said:

For example:

https://www.ubbullrun.com/2015/11/18/9755468/gamethread-for-buffalo-bulls-at-saint-josephs-hawks/comment/340761719#340768907

Early 2015 game in Oats' first year:

UB went on to a 20 win season and the dace that year

These bullfan-on-bullfan attacks are useless.

Sure...call him out for saying things like "He's terrible at basketball" if you want (it was over the top), but you are naive if you don't think he meant for you to infer that it was in relation to some standard.   I know there are some fans that tend to exaggerate in their frustration.  I view it as passionate.  

We need as many passionate people on the bandwagon as we can get.   There are always room for passionate bulls fans.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, UB92 said:

These bullfan-on-bullfan attacks are useless.

Sure...call him out for saying things like "He's terrible at basketball" if you want (it was over the top), but you are naive if you don't think he meant for you to infer that it was in relation to some standard.   I know there are some fans that tend to exaggerate in their frustration.  I view it as passionate.  

We need as many passionate people on the bandwagon as we can get.   There are always room for passionate bulls fans.

We also don't need people who publish things, and fancy themselves journalist to run down the kids wearing blue and white just so that they can live out some fantasy they are the next Bucky or Sully..

My  point was not to make a personal attack on the man but to give some background in the fact he will always run down one or more of our student athletes when they struggle a bit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bull_In_Exile said:

We also don't need people who publish things, and fancy themselves journalist to run down the kids wearing blue and white just so that they can live out some fantasy they are the next Bucky or Sully..

My  point was not to make a personal attack on the man but to give some background in the fact he will always run down one or more of our student athletes when they struggle a bit.

The next Bucky or Sully? I have no interest in ever being that. Believe it or not, Sully speaks highly of the program and uses plenty of chances to give UB plugs here in 2019. That's an uninformed take.

You can call out the negative posts if you want. However, there are plenty of positive thoughts and reporting by me. You can't ignore the body of work because it doesn't fit your 100% always positive UB takes. It's not 1999 anymore, UB has made 4 of 5 tournaments and the standard is much higher.

I love how the standard is avoided when needed. UB92 said it best. Are we not to infer terrible is in reference to other D1 basketball players? We are using it in reference to board members basketball talents, ok. That seems like the more plausible way to evaluate. 

Edited by Kevin

17 minutes ago, Kevin said:

The next Bucky or Sully? I have no interest in ever being that. Believe it or not, Sully speaks highly of the program and uses plenty of chances to give UB plugs here in 2019. That's an uninformed take.

You can call out the negative posts if you want. However, there are plenty of positive thoughts and reporting by me. You can't ignore the body of work because it doesn't fit your 100% always positive UB takes. It's not 1999 anymore, UB has made 4 of 5 tournaments and the standard is much higher.

I love how the standard is avoided when needed. UB92 said it best. Are we not to infer terrible is in reference to other D1 basketball players? We are using it in reference to board members basketball talents, ok. That seems like the more plausible way to evaluate. 

Yeah I am sure no one on here has called the Bills Or Bulls terrible in the last 20 years. There is no way anyone called EJ Manuel terrible even though he was in the NFL.

45 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Sully makes his bones by talking down to people running departments and programs... What was Bucky saying when White fired witherspoon and brought on Hurley again? 

UB is one so-so season away from Sully laying into whitesell the way he used to lay into white and company.

> You can call out the negative posts if you want

I don't have to work hard man... It was 95% of your comments before you were banned from Bull Run.

> You can't ignore the body of work because it doesn't fit your 100% always positive UB takes.

I've put up plenty of negative critiques of coaches and administrators over the years... The one thing I've never done is take a dump on a student athlete.. 

Guys this argument is super petty and is taking away from a thread that is about our biggest win over the season...a road game against an undefeated BIG EAST team.

Johnson and Grant have their flaws, and if we are trying to compare them to Massinburg and Caruthers 2.0 then we are all wasting out time. I am sure if we look back we can find deficiencies in both of their games too.

Let's look at Grant this week...he did a lot of really good things and averaged 6.0 rebounds off the bench against an SEC and BIG EAST schedule.  That shows growth and effort.

Johnson as I mentioned earlier, I thought was the second best defensive player on the floor on Sunday after Jordan.  He stopped one of the top guards in the BIG EAST in Charlie Moore and like he did against Missouri State knocked down some big free throws when the game was on the line.

Both of these players are helping us win games this season.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bull_In_Exile said:

Sully makes his bones by talking down to people running departments and programs... What was Bucky saying when White fired witherspoon and brought on Hurley again? 

UB is one so-so season away from Sully laying into whitesell the way he used to lay into white and company.

> You can call out the negative posts if you want

I don't have to work hard man... It was 95% of your comments before you were banned from Bull Run.

> You can't ignore the body of work because it doesn't fit your 100% always positive UB takes.

I've put up plenty of negative critiques of coaches and administrators over the years... The one thing I've never done is take a dump on a student athlete.. 

Right. You have never given unbiased reporting on the players. I'm glad you critique the coaching but these are D1 players that aren't given a pass to criticism. Once again, peep every P5 board you can.

Taking a dump on a player? I'm highly enjoying the hyperbole here. Calling him terrible (for a D1 player before my basketball playing ability is judged) and supplying tons of evidence for such a claim, is NOT taking a dump on a player. It's give an informed opinion on a player without positive UB bias. Deep down in you, you know how bad Grant has been in his first 1/3 of the season. You could claim the positives and think he'll somehow be magically better or you can hope he sees limited minutes until he stops chucking the basketball. 

I don't care about Bucky, I don't like him. He was salty over the coaching change. Jerry has given me plenty of chances to discuss (and nearly almost always positive).

Ill supply audio proof because you felt the need to site your examples:

http://www.sportsradio1270.com/2019/12/09/podcast-the-jerry-sullivan-show_120919/

If people want a positive spin on ANYTHING going on (or the rebounds Grant had) they can follow or go to Bull Run. We have plenty of "Pom Pom" waivers too (coined by Wawrow).

For now you blocked me from your site and Twitter, why do you need to argue in a third medium? 

Do you stop in here to critique anyone else except those on TW? I don't think I see you or Eaton on anything except to take the counter take on one of my points. Why are you here?

Edited by Kevin

2 hours ago, BullBoy said:

Guys this argument is super petty and is taking away from a thread that is about our biggest win over the season...a road game against an undefeated BIG EAST team.

Johnson and Grant have their flaws, and if we are trying to compare them to Massinburg and Caruthers 2.0 then we are all wasting out time. I am sure if we look back we can find deficiencies in both of their games too.

Let's look at Grant this week...he did a lot of really good things and averaged 6.0 rebounds off the bench against an SEC and BIG EAST schedule.  That shows growth and effort.

Johnson as I mentioned earlier, I thought was the second best defensive player on the floor on Sunday after Jordan.  He stopped one of the top guards in the BIG EAST in Charlie Moore and like he did against Missouri State knocked down some big free throws when the game was on the line.

Both of these players are helping us win games this season.  

That's fine. I disagree with Grant, but I agree with everything else you said.  Which I think is fair to do. 

Johnson is a great defender and I see the light when it comes to his offense.

Sometimes a matter of wording is the difference between an agreeable statement and one that draws the ire of others.  He's been playing terrible basketball is a whole lot different than he's terrible at basketball.   Easy to agree with the first one.  As far as the second,  the coaches wouldn't have brought him on if he was a terrible player.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Sometimes a matter of wording is the difference between an agreeable statement and one that draws the ire of others.  He's been playing terrible basketball is a whole lot different than he's terrible at basketball.   Easy to agree with the first one.  As far as the second,  the coaches wouldn't have brought him on if he was a terrible player.

He was brought in by Coach B. They knew each other from the JUCO circuit. 

I'm going to ask coach Q about how he feels Grant's production has been compared to the expectations.

Here are stats for Johnson's career.646826572_Screenshot_20191210-1950242.thumb.png.c3ef05ec919cec347e20c4f22a4d26d8.png

As you can see he had decent eFG% his second year with Middle Tennessee.  Also he has been good in his career in not committing turnovers including this year.  If he gets his eFG% near what it was two years ago, it will help with our depth.  Let's hope that the remainder of OOC he finds his touch.

Anyone see Texas Tech beat the #1 ranked team Louisville tonight? So you know what that means...If DePaul beat Texas Tech and Buffalo beat DePaul, then Buffalo is better than Texas Tech which beat the #1 team in the nation. Basically UB has a case to be the #1 team in the nation. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

Anyone see Texas Tech beat the #1 ranked team Louisville tonight? So you know what that means...If DePaul beat Texas Tech and Buffalo beat DePaul, then Buffalo is better than Texas Tech which beat the #1 team in the nation. Basically UB has a case to be the #1 team in the nation. 

It definitely shows the talent level on this team

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Right. You have never given unbiased reporting on the players. 

I don't remember a single time where I've dumped on them as being awful... 

With all our special teams problems this year did I focus on the players or the coaches? 

I'm glad you critique the coaching but these are D1 players student athletes that aren't given a pass to criticism

FIFY

For now you blocked me from your site and Twitter, why do you need to argue in a third medium?

I didn't want to block you on Bull Run, I was asked by a lot of people (editors and posters) to make that move because of your behavior in the game threads.  

And I'll glady just ignore you here, I just wish you would treat 20 year old kids like they are 20 year old kids.

51 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

Haha I saw this and thought that must mean Buffalo>Louisville 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bull_In_Exile said:

I don't remember a single time where I've dumped on them as being awful... 

With all our special teams problems this year did I focus on the players or the coaches? 

FIFY

I didn't want to block you on Bull Run, I was asked by a lot of people (editors and posters) to make that move because of your behavior in the game threads.  

And I'll glady just ignore you here, I just wish you would treat 20 year old kids like they are 20 year old kids.

Gabe Grant is 23 (older than some pro athletes). Is there an age that you can criticize? My biggest negative thoughts will generally come from older players on the last year in the program.

That's fine. Do what you have to do to appease the always positive fan base you have there. Didn't you block another Kevin too? I think there was some confusion there, but thats a weak way to govern a website without a real cause except negative disagreements. 

I reserve the right to assume (as do many who cover sports for competitive schools) that student athletes are able to receive criticism. I mean you must hate NFL draft reporters who do nothing but poke at every negative that current student athletes have. That's your choice to hate that but you can't expect that it's the only way to watch/root/cover/enjoy a team. 

Ignoring me is fantastic. It'll do wonders for UBF threads. Bringing up 2015 posts is petty as many have pointed out. Do you come here anymore to contribute otherwise? Or to do battle with you arch-enemy?

There are plenty of people who enjoy the coverage I give back to the community. I have/had relationships with current and past coaches as well as people who work in or near the team. Coach B used to come on here to read my comments. 

" Didn't you block another Kevin too?" You mean the nutjob that was challenging people to fist fights and threatening physical violence to people on twitter? yea, banned him too.

And the really funny thing is you're so fast to try and be edgy that you're so often wrong... How awful was that 2015 season you were whinging on about in November of that year?

New coach, bunch of transfers who didn't have chemistry yet....  sound at all familiar nostradamus?

Edited by Bull_In_Exile

In the spirit of the holidays, here is my version of the Grinch (disclaimer - song is all in good fun,  not taking sides and no offense intended, just trying to get discussion back on college hoops)

You're a mean one, Mr. Kevin!
You really are a heel
You're as cuddly as a cactus
You're as charming as an eel, Mr. Kevin!

You're a bad chicken wing
A true sour blue cheese meal!

You're a vile one, Mr. Kevin
You harangue Mr. Johnson and Grant
You have all the tender sweetness
of a bad sci-fi six foot ant, Mr. Kevin!

Given the choice between the two of you
I'd take the bad sci-fi six foot ant!

You're a rotter, Mr. Kevin
You're the king of hateful posts
Your heart's a dead tomato splotched
With moldy purple spots, Mr. Kevin!

Ok can we get back to basketball, please?
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bull_In_Exile said:

" Didn't you block another Kevin too?" You mean the nutjob that was challenging people to fist fights and threatening physical violence to people on twitter? yea, banned him too.

And the really funny thing is you're so fast to try and be edgy that you're so often wrong... How awful was that 2015 season you were whinging on about in November of that year?

New coach, bunch of transfers who didn't have chemistry yet....  sound at all familiar nostradamus?

Can you please go back into the cave you normally reside in. I literally never see you posting or contributing ANYTHING on here and whenever you do chime in it’s to talk smack to Kevin. You’re an adult, start acting like it.

Edited by Jeseph
Word
  • Like 2