Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo vs Army (12/14 @ 2:00 pm)

Jeseph

How does Army score 85+ against UB when they could only muster a paltry 60 against Merrimack? There is something seriously wrong. It could be coaching. It could be lack of leadership. It could be selfishness with players more worried about offense than defense. It could be lack of intensity/maturity/leadership. Whatever it is they must figure it out because it will be a very long season if they don’t. They should be embarrassed by that performance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zigo230 said:

Soooo, this team is capable of beating some very solid clubs, or losing to anyone.  I wasn’t sure how good or mediocre Army is?  Then I checked and they lost to Binghamton by 15 and Merrimack by 9.  So this is a pretty bad loss.

Pretty bad loss, your being very nice. It’s a horrendous loss, worse than Dartmouth. This team is just not good, no nice way to put it. Another bad game by Graves, very skilled player but too many pathetic games this year where he didn’t step up. Sorry, but he’s not an all conference player. Hope things change and we are a long way away, but winning 3 games in Cleveland is hard to do, and right not it’s pretty clear we won’t be able to do that unless things change. 

I have no confidence in this team. They could win any game or lose any game. Maybe when Brock and Fagan come back they will create some more competition on the team and cause others to work hard for minutes.

I expect more leadership out of the seniors , especially Jordan and Johnson. Hopefully Brock can provide that when he comes back.

3 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Feeling like this is going to be a long season. Continuity is in jeopardy...

Yes I’m overreacting after a single bad game but that’s the worst home loss I can think of since following the team (worse than the CMU drubbing)

I don't know if you're actually overreacting though. It's fair to heavily criticize the group right now. The highs can be high and the lows can be low, it isn't always a balanced ride.

I'll criticize Whitesell and the staff after that one. There is zero energy coming from the staff. I sit directly behind the coaches and I literally heard Whitesell's voice one time. It doesn't help that we're down a man, but it feels a bit ragtag down there.

Graves is bugging me. He plays with so little emotion. His game is becoming one dimensional with the straight downhill drives and his shot is so flat that when he's off from deep he's really off.

Canisius and Bona will be tight games.

Such a weird team to figure out. I certainly don't think this is a bad team. They beat DePaul and have looked good against decent teams. But what a weird ugly loss.

Like always I'm not doom and gloom. I'm just confused. 

At this point we might just have one of the most Jekyll and Hyde teams ever. Good luck to the sports bookies lol.

All you can do is have no expectations heading into each game and hope they find consistency in the conference play...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Can someone send me Gabe Grant's statline? 

7 minutes 4 fouls lol. I swear I didn’t even see him on the court long enough to pick up 4 fouls.

However...I think we got a glimpse of what it would be like without him contributing. Therefore, as bad as he has been a majority of the season, we need him to play. We got nothing from our bench today. Grant, like others, need to figure it all out on the floor. Not the bench.

1 minute ago, Ubbulls84 said:

Zero intensity also. Hurley and Oats brought 100% intensity from sideline. Reminds me of Reggie. Needs to call out these guys for lack of effort. 

I think Whitesell is more of a teacher than a yeller. On the broadcast I saw him talking one on one to players. An example was when Johnson got the Tech for hanging on the rim. Whitesell immediately took him out sat him down and talked to him privately.

Also Whitesell lost his blazer too. Not as demonstrative as Reggie would but still. He cares. He just has a different approach.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I think Whitesell is more of a teacher than a yeller. On the broadcast I saw him talking one on one to players. An example was when Johnson got the Tech for hanging on the rim. Whitesell immediately took him out sat him down and talked to him privately.

Also Whitesell lost his blazer too. Not as demonstrative as Reggie would but still. He cares. He just has a different approach.

He is 100% a teacher. Constantly stopping practice to get these guys to play within a team concept and do their job

• Like 1

Remember that Seinfeld episode where George lost his glasses?  On one hand, he somehow spotted a dime on the floor from across the apartment...but then took a bite out of what he thought was an apple, but was actually an onion.  Jerry says, "You're spotting dimes, eating onions, I don't know what to think!"

That's what I think right now - I don't know what to think.  This team CAN be good, but will they stay focused enough?  I feel like that's the problem, the focus shuts off and they make mistakes.  Their play was as sloppy as the weather today.  And mistakes that aren't forced by the other team, just all on them.  Defensively they got burned several times in the second half by 3's off pick plays.  Well run by Army.  Army also knew to go inside to Wilson when Mballa was off the court.  UB was slow to collapse inside when someone got beat on the perimeter, slow a few times to get back in transition.  It's like they know what they should do, and they've done these things in other games this season, but will they do this consistently?  The Bulls shot poorly from outside, while Army blew the game open second half with a series of three's.  "They're better than this" - they are, and they aren't.  This team is not nearly as talented as the past 2 years, nor do they have that sense that when things do go badly, everything will turn out alright.

I hate hearing from anyone how it's up to the coaches to get these guys motivated to play hard.  Maybe that's just me as a coach myself talking, but with a team with some veteran leadership, and what should be some hungry young guys, it shouldn't be up to anyone else to do that for you.  If playing D-1 basketball isn't motivation enough, get out of the way for someone else.  The coaching has to go into guys like Segu, Williams, Gallion, Mballa, Hardnett - at this point, with Johnson, Grant, Jordan, and mayyybe Graves, what you see is what you're going to get.

Jordan - it's his team, and the lack of focus out there doesn't look good.  He will get ticked off at some point and turn it up, but it's shown to be a little too late.
Graves - yeah he was quiet in the first half especially, it's a different dynamic this year where he's the target man rather than trying to push for minutes behind CJ.
Mballa - the times he does get beat, I say to myself that he's learning and in a year he won't.  He's starting to move well inside, hit his free throws today, I felt like Wilson got most of his points when Mballa was off the court.  Did a great job a couple times first half of poking a pass away and going in for the dunk.
Johnson - a nice game points-wise, but I don't think I"m the only one who assumes he shots are going to be bricks and I'm surprised when they actually go in.  He had a lot of points...but also took a lot of shots.  I will give him this - he's trying really hard.  He's frustrated, but he's into it and clearly wants to get it right.  That counts for something for me.
Hardnett - once he puts some more muscle on, he'll be more effective inside.
Williams - ended up with a decent stat line, and a couple more confident moves to the hoop.  He still seems awkward half the time.
Segu - shots weren't dropping

The band was in good form, decent crowd for a crummy Saturday outside, no students left.  Question - for the upcoming games, do we need to try to get some of us down in the end zone to liven things up, like a few of us did vs Southern Illinois last year?

Ouch, glad I missed this one. This team has a lot of work to do. Seemed coming into the season that we'd have a deeper squad than last year, but it's really not looking that way. On a day like this where Segu is off, chances are about the only thing we're getting from our bench is fouls, turnovers, and missed shots.