Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

What would you think of UB in Conference USA?

promotherobot

https://conferenceusa.com/

I never paid much attention to C-USA. My wish was always for the Bulls to end up in the American Conference. But C-USA has a nice roster of schools, many large public universities in major urban centers: Houston, Charlotte, San Antonio, El Paso, Miami, Norfolk, Birmingham to name a few. The level of competition is close to the MAC but it feels like a more prominent conference. Travel would be a bear but I wonder what revenues would be like? Thoughts?

34 minutes ago, ChicagoBull said:

Not a big fan of moving from conference to conference.  The thought about Conference USA is intriguing.  However, you cherry-picked some of the better cities.  Not wild about trips to Hattiesburg, Ruston (La), Murfreesboro, or the other BG.  

True but you have to admit the MAC is mostly locales like those. I mean Toledo and Suburban Chicago and Detroit are about it for urban areas in the MAC.

10 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Not following you. Are you saying the MAC is better because all the schools are driving distance?

Yes. The majority are, especially the East schools. It’s also important for Olympic sports with smaller budgets too.

Edited by rma

CUSA has been way worse than the MAC in basketball for years and only marginally better for football. No way is that worth the increased traveling cost.

the old pre-AAC raided CUSA maybe but the current CUSA is a shell of its former self. I’ll stick with the MAC until a spot opens up in the AAC.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

CUSA has been way worse than the MAC in basketball for years and only marginally better for football. No way is that worth the increased traveling cost.

the old pre-AAC raided CUSA maybe but the current CUSA is a shell of its former self. I’ll stick with the MAC until a spot opens up in the AAC.

I agree. No reason to move laterally 

14 hours ago, promotherobot said:

True but you have to admit the MAC is mostly locales like those. I mean Toledo and Suburban Chicago and Detroit are about it for urban areas in the MAC.

Not sure anyone in Chicago considers DeKalb suburban Chicago.  Lots and lots of farmland in-between.  DeKalb is "down-state," just like Rockford (which is entirely latitudinally north of the northernmost part of the City of Chicago).  

Rice would be our true AAU peer, and Marshall would be the only squad whom we have some history. It would be cool to play ODU and the Florida schools for some reasonable recruiting in-roads. Otherwise the costs, potential lack of increased fan interest, and CUSA's scattered and low revenue media deals would make things tough. Plus, we'd likely have to drop wrestling since CUSA does not sponsor the sport and the MAC likely would not let us stay. CUSA has been ok for the former SBC schools and the start-up football programs, but has dulled the UTEP and Southern Mississippi brands, schools with high hopes of MWC and AAC, respectively, saving them.

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly

What if UB could join A-10 in all sports and help create an East Coast football only conference? UConn, UMass, Liberty and ARMY are all independents. Each needing an answer to their football scheduling. A-10 would be a huge upgrade in basketball. Also A-10 would be closer schools to BU with most Universities being primarily on the east coast. This scenario would need Temple to rejoin the Big East as well. That would be 6 schools. Two more needed to create a conference. Toronto and Delaware perhaps? Toronto would/could be a huge rivalry for BU. Something that BU really lacks in the MAC. A football only upgrade could be something that Toronto and Delaware could swing while staying in their current conferences for all other sports. I dont know. Just a neat fantasy of mine.

Edited by antayat

2 hours ago, antayat said:

What if UB could join A-10 in all sports and help create an East Coast football only conference? UConn, UMass, Liberty and ARMY are all independents. Each needing an answer to their football scheduling. A-10 would be a huge upgrade in basketball. Also A-10 would be closer schools to BU with most Universities being primarily on the east coast. This scenario would need Temple to rejoin the Big East as well. That would be 6 schools. Two more needed to create a conference. Toronto and Delaware perhaps? Toronto would/could be a huge rivalry for BU. Something that BU really lacks in the MAC. A football only upgrade could be something that Toronto and Delaware could swing while staying in their current conferences for all other sports. I dont know. Just a neat fantasy of mine.

Might be nice but a lot of "what if" involved in this one.

The "alliance", let's call it, would have to have at least 2 set Bowl agreements, and an alternate... As well as a TV contract in place. 

20 hours ago, antayat said:

BU dropped football in 1997.