Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo vs Niagara (12/21 @ 2:00 pm)

BullBoy

6 minutes ago, ubbulls08 said:

WE DON’T HAVE CJ AND NICK THIS YEAR, or a whole bunch of seniors. 

We are not last year’s team. Get used to it and adjust your expectations accordingly. 

Expectations have been that we have a team that is competing for a MAC title this year. This should include (a ballpark of) 11-12 wins in league with some great looking periods and some sloppy times, but hopefully getting better and better with each passing month in advance of March. Once the MAC tourney hits, hopefully the team will be ready to put it's best foot forward. Are your expectations much different than that based on the roster that we have and the nearly completed non-league slate?

38 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Expectations have been that we have a team that is competing for a MAC title this year. This should include (a ballpark of) 11-12 wins in league with some great looking periods and some sloppy times, but hopefully getting better and better with each passing month in advance of March. Once the MAC tourney hits, hopefully the team will be ready to put it's best foot forward. Are your expectations much different than that based on the roster that we have and the nearly completed non-league slate?

That is essentially consistent with my view, although, I would not rule out 10 wins.  Against the top 6 teams it is possible that we go 6-6 this year.  One thing they need to work on is turnovers.  As you can see they have been much too careless with the ball in last four games.

image.png.73a0f785833a6822171c9bd45c59f625.png

4 hours ago, UB05 said:

Grant had a really nice game. 5/5 shooting. Sounds like someone who isn’t terrible at basketball. Anyone have any thoughts?

Cool, good for Grant to score 12 points against Niagara and Nazareth. He has 24 points against the two worst teams on the schedule.

He has 28 points against the other TEN teams combined while shooting 20%. Good luck to him against teams that actually play defense. 5 games in which he didn't score a point.

Anyways, good on Williams for playing great and I'm liking the development of Hardnett.

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

That is essentially consistent with my view, although, I would not rule out 10 wins.  Against the top 6 teams it is possible that we go 6-6 this year.  One thing they need to work on is turnovers.  As you can see they have been much too careless with the ball in last four games.

image.png.73a0f785833a6822171c9bd45c59f625.png

In the end, data is just that, it's up to the players and coaches to execute for 40 minutes each game. What we've learned thus far is that this team is more than capable of playing with and beating anyone if they play up to their potential, while also able to be defeated by pretty much anyone. Hopefully we have more of the first than the second over the final 2/3 of the season and we can enjoy a lengthy fun ride, just as we have over the past several seasons!

I love crushing Little Three teams.  This is not a good Niagara team (they haven't been for some time).  But after struggling against some sub-par teams already this season, it was nice to see the Bulls take care of business.  I thought they really wanted to work it inside to Mballa a lot, until he got 2 fouls and they had to adjust.  The 3's dropped on Saturday and that made the difference.  I love the workrate from this team on rebounds - I feel like they still have much to improve on defending in the lane and in transition.  They're not good enough yet to get a big lead and comfortably hold it.  I don't want to say this was a great performance by UB, but it seemed an improvement, and at this point I'll take that.

Williams - his most complete game so far.  The past 2 games he's shown that little extra bit of confidence that means he gets the shot off a little quicker, he's a little cleaner with the ball going to the hoop.  10 boards too.  Hopefully a sign of good things to come, maturation from a sophomore at a time when it should be happening.
Graves - he still seemed a little out of it at times but his 3's were dropping, hopefully that gives him confidence going forward.
Johnson - as I've said in previous games, he's trying, he's just not shooting well.  But hit a couple wide open ones this time and drew a charge.
Mballa - nice moves, would've had a bigger game but for getting a couple fouls in the first half.
Hardnett - as we've said in a few others, he's settling into a good role and contributing a little more.
Grant - credit where credit is due, I thought he ran this game, and of course hit a couple shots, he has a nice release on those, hopefully he can build on that.

Niagara - mostly garbage.  They have an inside guy who will do damage against some MAAC teams, and MacDonald will be okay.  Why hasn't the local media investigated into the Bielein affair?  I've heard this and that on the Niagara forums, but I wonder if the media just didn't want to.  I wonder if they'll extend that courtesy to others in the future.  Niagara doesn't look close to competing any time soon. 

As can be expected on a nice day with both a Sabres home game at the same time, frantic Christmas shopping, and a big Bills game later in the afternoon, the crowd wasn't impressive. 

That had to be one of the fastest college basketball games I've ever seen.  It's like everyone wanted to get out of there in time for the Bills game.   I think it was done by like 3:40 or something.

• Jeseph unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, ubbulls08 said:

Grant is a good player. That’s why he’s getting minutes. But he is this year’s Smart for some posters here. No matter what, they will trash him and imagine that some bench player who chucks up air balls in garbage time would be better in the rotation. 

LOL, a good player. Does a good player shoot 25% through half a season and go 5 games without scoring while not playing defense? This is just a homer opinion. You are allowed to admit when player who play for UB aren't very good or are "flops".

As far as for the "rotation" comment, I've spent time at practice, have you?

I will look for Hardnett, Fagan, Brock to add very meaningful minutes in his place. That's with Segu able to eat a bulk of them too. None of them "chuck" in garbage time.

Wow: you’ve spent time at practice? Impressive. Now recognize that Whitesell and his staff are at every single practice. They see the capabilities of Johnson and Grant and other players who will be critical to us winning. They are looking at the MAC tourney and the NCAA tourney. Grant is important to winning. That’s their judgment, it seems. And I’m happy to trust this group. 

I trusted Oats to play Smart—it was the best move. 

I trust Whitesell’s judgment over my own on Grant—and yours. 

Hardnett, by the way, is not the greatest effort player on the floor. And I don't think a healthy Brock is much of a replacement for Grant playing up to his skill level. Brock doesn’t rebound or move well at all, and he’s never developed a shot beyond a few feet from the basket  

Grant just needs to start hitting shots. Period. The rest of his game will give MAC fits, just like Nickleberry’s and Hardnett’s will. 

• Like 1

Johnson and Grant(more grant than Johnson) get as much playing as they do because of their shooting capabilities. Thats a skill not many on the roster have.

Grants 3 point shots just haven't fallen, he has good touch just bad luck right now. Right now the best thing to do is to get him better on the defensive side or hope he starts hitting shots because he has been bad so far and we need him to help space the floor on offense

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 1:42 PM, 121Merrimac said:

Kevin's comments would be more tolerable if he was praising Gabe right now.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:59 PM, UB05 said:

Grant had a really nice game. 5/5 shooting. Sounds like someone who isn’t terrible at basketball. Anyone have any thoughts?

Ya'll asked for it though...? lol

• Like 1

16 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

I love crushing Little Three teams.  This is not a good Niagara team (they haven't been for some time).  But after struggling against some sub-par teams already this season, it was nice to see the Bulls take care of business.  I thought they really wanted to work it inside to Mballa a lot, until he got 2 fouls and they had to adjust.  The 3's dropped on Saturday and that made the difference.  I love the workrate from this team on rebounds - I feel like they still have much to improve on defending in the lane and in transition.  They're not good enough yet to get a big lead and comfortably hold it.  I don't want to say this was a great performance by UB, but it seemed an improvement, and at this point I'll take that.

Williams - his most complete game so far.  The past 2 games he's shown that little extra bit of confidence that means he gets the shot off a little quicker, he's a little cleaner with the ball going to the hoop.  10 boards too.  Hopefully a sign of good things to come, maturation from a sophomore at a time when it should be happening.
Graves - he still seemed a little out of it at times but his 3's were dropping, hopefully that gives him confidence going forward.
Johnson - as I've said in previous games, he's trying, he's just not shooting well.  But hit a couple wide open ones this time and drew a charge.
Mballa - nice moves, would've had a bigger game but for getting a couple fouls in the first half.
Hardnett - as we've said in a few others, he's settling into a good role and contributing a little more.
Grant - credit where credit is due, I thought he ran this game, and of course hit a couple shots, he has a nice release on those, hopefully he can build on that.

Niagara - mostly garbage.  They have an inside guy who will do damage against some MAAC teams, and MacDonald will be okay.  Why hasn't the local media investigated into the Bielein affair?  I've heard this and that on the Niagara forums, but I wonder if the media just didn't want to.  I wonder if they'll extend that courtesy to others in the future.  Niagara doesn't look close to competing any time soon. 

As can be expected on a nice day with both a Sabres home game at the same time, frantic Christmas shopping, and a big Bills game later in the afternoon, the crowd wasn't impressive. 

That had to be one of the fastest college basketball games I've ever seen.  It's like everyone wanted to get out of there in time for the Bills game.   I think it was done by like 3:40 or something.

Agree. It was a strange game in a number of ways with low turnout. Just a total of 18 fouls called with a total of 14 free throws taken and with two players with three fouls. Good to see the 3 point shooting an improvement by several players. The one concern was our 19 turnovers along with Segu lacking court awareness on a number of occasions and it looked like Jordan was crapping up or having some other problem as he did not look like he was moving like he normally does. Looking forward to the Bona game. Go Bulls!!!!

30 minutes ago, ubbulls08 said:

Trying to get him to stop attacking our players—usually one player per year—is not exactly asking for it. 

But it is likely a lost cause. Like asking a certain politician to stop attacking dead people. 

Attacking? I've stated BASKETBALL reasons (many) why I don't think the player should be getting any playing time. I don't dislike the person. The weird infatuation that someone has to do something to me personally to not think they are a good D1 basketball player is shocking.

You can sit here and take pot shots at me in this thread (2-3 already) for disliking the basketball player (once again, not the person) and I get called out for doing the attacking? That's funny. 

I'm sorry that it doesn't fit your "like every player on the team" without cause rhetoric. 

Nice, so you accuse me of attacking our players, when you just compared me to the president with a personal attack. That's pretty ironic.

Edited by Kevin

3 hours ago, ubbulls08 said:

Hardnett, by the way, is not the greatest effort player on the floor. And I don't think a healthy Brock is much of a replacement for Grant playing up to his skill level. Brock doesn’t rebound or move well at all, and he’s never developed a shot beyond a few feet from the basket  

What did Brock do to you? Did he steal your lunch money? Your GF? Which. 

I'll trust Whitesell with the extended playing time for Hardnett. Brock was expected to start and be a big part of the team prior to injury, Mballa wasn't even cleared until like a week prior. He was looking really good in practice.

You should stop taking personal attacks on our players.

Edited by Kevin

7 minutes ago, Ivantheturrible said:

Lol Jesus Christ Kevin how thin is your skin? Every game thread you find a way to get into it with someone. Please try to keep some of your pretentious opinions to twitter at least. You’re ruining every game thread now

Thanks for following along on Twitter!

I didn't get into it with anyone, I saw about 3-4 comments toward me before I responded on here.

11 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Thanks for following along on Twitter!

I didn't get into it with anyone, I saw about 3-4 comments toward me before I responded on here.

Used to follow, but you blocked me for liking someone’s tweet saying your Bills takes were bad once. Oh well, here’s to hoping Grants last game wasn’t an outlier and he’s better for MAC play

50 minutes ago, Ivantheturrible said:

Used to follow, but you blocked me for liking someone’s tweet saying your Bills takes were bad once. Oh well, here’s to hoping Grants last game wasn’t an outlier and he’s better for MAC play

I don’t recall that,  but you are unblocked, Ian. 

13 minutes ago, UB05 said:

chill guys, this was meant to poke a little fun not start a fight! 

I'm fine with it, I expect it every fifth game that Grant might play well. 

I'm more concerned at UBBulls08 claiming I take PERSONAL attacks on players and then takes some on me.  This isn't personal, this is only basketball.

This is a discussion board, we are allowed to discuss why we do or don't like a play, player, coach, or anything related to this sport. We've been generally considered a current mid-major powerhouse. We shouldn't be excepting of "aw shucks he could have been good" anymore. This isn't 2003. 

When I'm on this message board, I'm a FAN of this team first. There should be no blurred lines. Those who know me, know how much I like this team and like to talk about this team. I generally come here where I expect the biggest and best UB fans (hence the name) out there. I don't expect every one of you to agree with me but it's really part of any sport to potentially dislike the basketball play (not person) of a player that receives meaningful minutes.

If I give updates or reports, its supposed to be used to keep anyone informed that cares, not assert my dominance.

I'll stop bringing any reports to this fan message board.

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1