Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo vs Olean CC (12/30 @ 7:00 pm)

Jeseph

• Jeseph pinned this topic
6 hours ago, rma said:

It’s in the other thread, but those wanting to make some noise since students/band are gone on break, feel free to join us in the true blue section.

Yeah, dig out your old True Blue or Mighty Maniacs shirt, the alums will pick up some of the slack this time over break.

True Blue - not sure how you guys market things, but whoever is in town over break we could use the help.

• Like 2

This is the Big one.  Beating Bonas would make this a great OOC and show that we can be WNYs team.  

Just a shame the admin decided to schedule it without students there so they could sell more tickets to Bonas fans.  It kills the whole home advantage.  Hope True Blue can step up.  

Right now we are just behind them in Kenpom and falling each day as the preseason rankings are phased out.  This win would put the team on the path to winning the MAC and getting a Post season bid. 

9 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

This is the Big one.  Beating Bonas would make this a great OOC and show that we can be WNYs team.  

Just a shame the admin decided to schedule it without students there so they could sell more tickets to Bonas fans.  It kills the whole home advantage.  Hope True Blue can step up.  

Right now we are just behind them in Kenpom and falling each day as the preseason rankings are phased out.  This win would put the team on the path to winning the MAC and getting a Post season bid. 

I can’t believe that they didn’t realize students wouldn’t be here. Likely that Bona intentionally scheduled for this time of year. 

On 12/25/2019 at 11:56 AM, UB05 said:

Isn’t olean community college in the woods in rural Pennsylvania or something? Not sure anyone would consider them western New York’s college team 

I happen to go to their neck of the woods once per year, and it's gross. I can't wait to leave every time.

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I happen to go to their neck of the woods once per year, and it's gross. I can't wait to leave every time.

Know the feeling. Driving through Batavia, Elmira, Binghamton... sometimes wonder how many get the same feeling when they fly into Buffalo from New York, Baltimore, Austin, Tampa, Charlotte, and a hundred other places - in this country (to say nothing about the rest of the world). Why would they (anyone) want to live here? High taxes, crappy weather, low wages/salaries, and crappy weather...but, at least we’ve got climate change. So, crappy weather can’t get any worse, unless it turns into Florida, Arizona, or Seattle. My Buffalo...I think I’ll keep her. Plus the food rools!

On 12/23/2019 at 6:17 PM, enrique14150 said:

Yeah, dig out your old True Blue or Mighty Maniacs shirt, the alums will pick up some of the slack this time over break.

True Blue - not sure how you guys market things, but whoever is in town over break we could use the help.

We are making the trip!!! First game at Alumni for me since about 1984 or so!  There were not many seats left. Going to the Women's game on Sunday too. Pretty sure that one will be a ghost town as the Bills are playing at the same time. 

1 hour ago, CTBullsfan said:

We are making the trip!!! First game at Alumni for me since about 1984 or so!  There were not many seats left. Going to the Women's game on Sunday too. Pretty sure that one will be a ghost town as the Bills are playing at the same time. 

I'm sure there will be plenty of seats available for each. The men's games "seats" have been sold mostly via season tickets, but the end zones will be much more available. Hoping for a good crowd, but I often am disappointed by it.

1 hour ago, CTBullsfan said:

You can sit on the baselines (or the 300's) with any purchased ticket.  Really the only area where tickets are enforced are the 100's along the length of the court.

On 12/27/2019 at 12:00 AM, squire17 said:

High taxes, crappy weather, low wages/salaries, and crappy weather...but, at least we’ve got climate change. So, crappy weather can’t get any worse, unless it turns into Florida, Arizona, or Seattle. My Buffalo...I think I’ll keep her. Plus the food rools!

The "crappy" weather and low COL is why I'm here.  From April to November the weather is wonderful.  Rather have it be snowy in the winter than humid and hot in the summer.  Sure the wages are low here, but housing is cheap.

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

I'm sure there will be plenty of seats available for each. The men's games "seats" have been sold mostly via season tickets, but the end zones will be much more available. Hoping for a good crowd, but I often am disappointed by it.

A lot of it has to do with students being home on break. Wish this game was during the course of the school year, place would be packed.

29 minutes ago, TheBully said:

A lot of it has to do with students being home on break. Wish this game was during the course of the school year, place would be packed.

I've heard that excuse for years. When I went to school there, I still went to all of the games, even over the break. I remember going to a women's game vs. Louisville back in 96 or 97 and there was a total of 20 butts in the stands (it was easy to count them). Now there's a 6 week break, which is  basically 7-8 home games for the season, which is close to half of the home games. I looked at the end zones during the last couple of games and there were single digit student numbers, it's just an excuse. There's plenty of students who live nearby. You don't need a t-shirt giveaway to go to the games, go support your teams and school!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I've heard that excuse for years. When I went to school there, I still went to all of the games, even over the break. I remember going to a women's game vs. Louisville back in 96 or 97 and there was a total of 20 butts in the stands (it was easy to count them). Now there's a 6 week break, which is  basically 7-8 home games for the season, which is close to half of the home games. I looked at the end zones during the last couple of games and there were single digit student numbers, it's just an excuse. There's plenty of students who live nearby. You don't need a t-shirt giveaway to go to the games, go support your teams and school!

Students at UB just don’t care about the basketball team. Or really any of the sports teams.  

It is slowly getting better as each year the team wins you have some more incoming freshmen that like basketball and start to go to games but there isn’t really a student following like you would expect from the state flagship.  It is sad.  Someday...

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Students at UB just don’t care about the basketball team. Or really any of the sports teams.  

It is slowly getting better as each year the team wins you have some more incoming freshmen that like basketball and start to go to games but there isn’t really a student following like you would expect from the state flagship.  It is sad.  Someday...

Its definitely gotten better. But I wouldn't say they don't care, its just not ingrained in the student culture yet. Considering the run they are on started 5/6 years ago you should start to see a steady increase.

Also on topic of local students not going to games during break, as a local who went to ub do you really want to go to your "job" on a vacation? Looking back on it it shouldn't matter but at the time it did.

What ub should do on these student break games, is bring in high school students on tours/or something similar

On topic of this thread Go Bulls, bonnies stink

• Confused 1

Boy what a thread:  

Going to a basketball game is a job?  Bonaventure dictated when this game would be?  Olean bashing?  All very interesting.  Here is something that I found that you may find interesting: 

The Bonnies are the only Big 4 team this decade with a winning record against each of the other 3 members, and the only member to sweep the other 3 in a season (11-12, 14-15, 15-16). Our highest win % is against SUNY-Buffalo (78%), as we've won 7 of 9 meetings against them.

This should get you riled up for Monday.  You are welcome. 

51 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Also on topic of local students not going to games during break, as a local who went to ub do you really want to go to your "job" on a vacation? Looking back on it it shouldn't matter but at the time it did.

I guess I never saw going to watch my school/team play a game as a "job". Evidently others do. I never would've even considered that as a thought, seeing as it was a great form of entertainment, while supporting my school, guys/girls/coaches that you saw in class/on campus...and this was during a time period where UB was in a 3rd rate conference (Mid-Con) playing against really trashy teams in league, with a team that was pretty good (at least seemed like it at the time, but would get smoked by the current product).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Its definitely gotten better. But I wouldn't say they don't care, its just not ingrained in the student culture yet. Considering the run they are on started 5/6 years ago you should start to see a steady increase.

What ub should do on these student break games, is bring in high school students on tours/or something similar

On topic of this thread Go Bulls, bonnies stink

It doesn’t take long to change the culture of it is a cultural problem because nearly all students are gone in four years. In six years the program has been good there aren’t undergraduate students on campus anymore from the Reggie years.  Since there is roughly a 25% turnover of students every year it is pretty quick that you can create a culture. 

It isn’t ingrained because the students don’t care and the admin never made it a priority.  It’s the whole reason they have played so many road games over the years and not invested in building a home game culture.  

We shouldn’t be shocked that the fans aren’t there when there has been no effort to cultivate the program and make local fans. 

And everyone that has wanted big games anywhere other than less high profile home games has worked to prevent a fan culture. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I guess I never saw going to watch my school/team play a game as a "job". Evidently others do. I never would've even considered that as a thought, seeing as it was a great form of entertainment, while supporting my school, guys/girls/coaches that you saw in class/on campus...and this was during a time period where UB was in a 3rd rate conference (Mid-Con) playing against really trashy teams in league, with a team that was pretty good (at least seemed like it at the time, but would get smoked by the current product).

I don’t get this?  How it is a job?

there are easily 500 former high school basketball players from the Buffalo area that go to auB.  You would think they would care and go tot he games...

• Like 1